Getting Smudge a friend..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovableLops

Reaction score
So i was thinking about getting smudge a friend. I know i have been looking with no luck but i think i might get one from a shelter that is already fixed and then get smudge fixed and cage them together.

Do you think they would get along? is it hard to bind rabbits?

From my own experience, I have found that it is very difficult to bond rabbits.

However, there are people who seem to have success bonding their rabbits and having things work out well. I personally would recommend keeping them in their own cages because rabbits can be very territorial.

You might be able to get them to play well in a room they hardly go in. Some online articles suggest to introduce the new one to the older one in a room that neither have ever been in.

Just be careful. Years ago I tried bonding rabbits and the older one viciously attacked the new one.

uh, i reallly want another rabbit. and plus i think Smudge is lonely.
i will just wait and see if i find him a friend:rollseyes

What Ali said is what we tell people who come to our shelter looking for a buddy for their bunny, and it's a good suggestion. Some humane societies and rescues regularly do bunny dates with volunteers or staff who know a bit about bonding and rabbit communication.

I found it horribly hard bonding two does. I tried many diffrent pairs and if I finely got them together they broke up after a few months. However, I currently have two male/female pairs. No problems. So I suggest getting a girl.

I would get him neutered first though, because it can and does change them many times. Out of my two spays both does changed drasticly, one for the better and one no so much for the better :p If you get him a friend, try getting one already altered, so you do not have to worry about their personality changing due to lack of hormones.

I second the male/female combo. I got two bunnies from a pet store that were weeks old. Turned out both girls... and tho I was able to bond them in the end it took moooooonths and several tries (not to mention tears of frustration). A month after he's neutered he will be able to tell you exactly which shelter bun would be the one for him!!!

Best of luck!!!

Latest posts

Back