Getting rid of ants without harming bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen92473

Reaction score
Our Dutch bunny lives inside with us and I recently discovered several small ants in her cage. When we get them occasionally in the house I've always just put out ant traps (the kind with the sticky goo inside), but I'm not sure of a way to rid her cage of them without harming her. Any ideas?

Not knowing what your set up is makes it a little difficult to answer. Clove is supposed to drive ants away. It worked for me years ago. You can place some cloves in a netted material, panty hose work really well. Just cut a piece, place some cloves inside and tie it shut. I wouldn't place it in the cage or anywhere that the bun could possibly eat it but if you have somewhere you could safely place it such as laying a board on top of the cage and sitting it on that may work. I'm not sure though if clove could be an issue with buns so you may want to do some research on that first.

You could also sprinkle some Diatamacious Earth (DE) around the outside of the cage. You want food grade DE. If it is not food grade then it contains pesticides which are harmful but food grade is safe even for eating. It is a very fine powder so I would just sprinkle it around the outside of the cage.

Ants look for food, so a bait trap nearby but out of bun's reach should work as well.

Latest posts

Back