Getting New Bunnies, have some questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borderco1

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am getting a flemishGiant in the middle of July from a rabbitry in MA. I am down for a doe,but am now unsure. I am also getting a mini rex buck (some timein June I hope) both will be pets and I would love to bond them whenthey are both older and fixed. I am wondering if size wise itwould be best to have the flemish a buck and mini rex a doe?? If itdoesn't matter I will stick with the doe flemish. Anybody have anythoughts? With my other pair the doe even though she is smallerand much younger than my dutch buck runs the show. They don'tfight or anything and are always together but I swear sometimes shepicks on him. I really don't want a 20 lb. bully, and from what Ihave read here flemish bucks seem to be big push overs. Do minirexes tend to have attitudes?? It will be my first of both breeds soany tips would be great!

Hi,

I am sorry, but I am not sure how to answer these questions. You can goto the bunny 101 section of this forum and find a TON of bondinginformation.
I am not sure how the 2 breeds will interact.

I have heard that it is easier to bond a female to an existing male. Same sex bonds can be more difficult.

I'm not sure about this either. I knowflemish are really gentle and friendly but I was just wondering aboutthe size difference. If the flemish might hurt the smallerrabbit by accident because it didn't realise it is stronger.

There are some people who breed and keep flemish on here so hopefullythey will be able to help out. Maybe you should change thetitle of the topic to say something about flemish and itmight get them to look.

As a Flemish Giant breeder I have never everencountered a bully of a Flemish Giant, I've had does that know whatthey want and get upset if they don't get it but never a viciousFlemish Giant. I usually recommend that pet owners get a buck because Ihave noticed that generally the bucks tend to be more laid back andeasy going than the does. Not every buck is like that though, butgenerally that's what they are like. I've noticed that does tend to bemore reserved, they would rather sit alone then on your lap, but notevery doe is like that. So if you have your heart set on a doe, by allmeans get a doe. As far as your Flemish picking on your mini rex, ifthe rabbit is territorial or does not wish to bond with another rabbit,an 18 pound rabbit can do a lot of damage to a 5 pound rabbit, so Iwould watch and really make sure everyone gets along before leaving theFlemish with the smaller rabbits alone for long periods of time.Otherwise you should have no problems.

Thanksfor everyone's advice!This is a really great board! I have beenreadingold threads for weeks and still have moreto go! I am more concernedabout the Flemish getting pickedon by the mini rex than the other way around,but I haven’t beenable to find too much on the temperament of the mini rexingeneral. I want them for different reasons and can live withthe fact they maynever become buddies, although I have had greatluck in the past getting myrabbits to live together,even ingroups of three. So with any luckmy new two will learn toget along with everyone even if they don't want a 24/7cagemate.

Iwould really love another Dutch, but after Nutmeg, Ithink it is best towait. I don't want to be constantlycomparing the new bunny to thewonderful Nutmeg. So that iswhy I decided on the mini rex, verydifferent to a Dutch. Ihope to teach him bunny hoping.... The Flemishon the otherhand, well I have just always wanted one!!

Thanksagain for everyone who chimed in. I willkeep you updated and postpictures when my babies do get home andI am sure have more questions!!

Sarah

Well, there are afew Mini Rex slaves on the board, including myself.SunnieBunnieRabbitry, one of our mods, is a Mini Rex breeder. She couldprobably tell you more about their personalities in general, whereas Ican only tell you about my Mini Rex, a 7 year old neutered male. Itmight be the breed, it might be partly his age, but he's just as sweetand mellow as can be. I would say he's a bit more reserved than my MiniLop mix, though he does love attention. I am completely and totally inlove with Mini Rex's, I can't imagine life without one :D

Hello Sarah,

I'm pretty sure you will find Mini Rex to be an absolutely amazing breed.

I do not have any altered Mini Rex so I really can't advise on theirtemperament with that respect, however I've been a breeder of Mini Rexfor going on 3 years now and I wouldn't trade them in for the world.

Within my herd, theoverall temperament is quite relaxed andeasy going. There are those few that are a bit more skittishthan the rest and then the 1 that won't have anything to do withanything...lol. She's a grump & will take your handoff if you're not too careful. I've had a buck that was thesame way, but he is now over Rainbow Bridge.

My suggestion to you is the following:

• Purchase your Mini Rex from a reputable breeder. Thebreeder will know the rabbit's personality history and every littlequirk that may set him/her off - whereas a Pet store will not.
  • Interact with the rabbit yourself BEFORE bringing it home.Not just holding, but in a secure area let it run around and interactwith you on it's terms. You'll be amazed how much you canlearn about the rabbit's personality just by watching it interact withyou for 15 minutes.
  • If the breeder will allow, bring the existing rabbit with you when"interviewing" for a new Mini Rex. This way you can also seehow they will interact together in a neutral territory.
  • Bucks are very territorial against other bucks and does areterritorial over "their space"... so when you do bond your bunnies athome... make sure it's ina neutral area. And usecaution and when/if the buck decides to explore near the doe's cage...she may / may not approve of that initially.
Mini Rex are oneof the sweetest breeds out there, but they can turn quite mean duringpuberty when their hormones hit. This is usually between 4-6months of age. Just remember, each Mini Rex has their ownindividual personality - and it's not gender specific. Youwill need to "read" your bun to find out if it has the rightpersonality for you.

Hope this helps & good luck!

~Sunshine

Thanks for the tips Sunshine! I havee-mailed one breeder who has some of the colors I like (lynx or opal)and am waiting to hear back. I am planning on going to a fewshows around CT in June as well. I think I will stick to a maleand get him fixed as soon as my vet says its ok.So Ipurchased a cage online that should be here soon, and will be goingshopping for dishes,etc soon, then I will be all set when I do bringhim home. I am planning on keeping him in a cage and my babyFlemmish girl in an excersie pen. Then after he is fixed (he willbe done before her since I already know when I am picking her uparound July 14th and I hope to get him this month) let them both loosein the house together when it does come time to bond. If we haveto keep seprate cages, then we have plenty of room for that too.I amsooooooo excited!! Baby bunnies in the house soon!!!! Myson and I are heading to a country show today so he can see someanimals (he's two),so here's to hopeing I get to see lots of bunniesand many colors of mini rex so I know what I want my baby to look likeat least!Thanks again!!Sarah

Oh I learned that lesson when my old male dutchbuck got to nutmeg after he was fixed.... She only had on babythough, so we got little Basil.....not a bad deal. :)

I don't know anything about Flemish Giants, butI've had 3 Rex's (two rex mixes) and they were all three very gentleand calm. Now puberty was a different story but, once they were fixedthey couldn't be sweeter bunnies. Daphie was the runt of her litter butin my house she was queen. Size doesn't matter as much as personality.There's no way to predict that. I would have a backup plan and see ifthe breeder would be willing to take the big bun back if he turns outto be incompatable with your other buns. Also, you can always keep himseparated from the others if you had to.

Back