Getting My Rabbit Neutered Today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluevelvet

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I am new to posting on the forum buthave been reading it for a few months. I have learned so much aboutrabbits since i got mine. He was 3 months when I got him ( he is anAmerican Fuzzy Lop ) and he is now 8 months. I just took him in todayto get neutered and am wondering what to expect when I get him home.The vet said he might have to wear a cone around his neck have any ofyou had to use one? He also has a condo two tier so i lowered one ledgeright down so he doesn't have to jump and took the other one out.Thank-You so much for listening as I am a little worried right now.

when i got my boy neutered he was almost back tonormal about 2 hours after we got home! he didnt have to wear a cone ashe didnt seem very interested in the wound. he didnt havestitches though, i think it must have been the surgical glue.we did keep him from jumping for the first day by keeping him in hiscage, but he was fine :)our vet did recommend thatwe switch to newspaper for litter for about a week though since otherlitters are kind of dusty, but that's about it :) he'll befine :D neuters seem to be so much easier than spays!

Ty so much spiced for the info it makes me feelbetter knowing others have had great sucess with it. If i give himnewspaper he will eat it so that's out lol. I was so worried from theway the vet had put it to me that if they strain at all he could breakhis stitches and part of him would come out and have to be restitched.

Welcome Bluevelet, :dude:

My little one also didn't have any troubles. These days, the neutering procedure is 9 x out of 10 a complete success.

Personally, I've never heard of a rabbit needing a cone afterwards.Certainly Tucker didn't. As Spiced77 pointed out, he didn't seem toointerested in messing with the wound.
It is advised that you use something other than your usual litter inthe litterbox because litter can get caught or into the area. I'd atleast try the shredded newspaper and see if he's ingesting it. If youhave a wire bottom cage, you might just let it fall through rather thanuse a litterbox at all.

He may not be very hungry when he gets home. Offer him his favoritetreats. Try to keep him calm for a few days so that as it's healing, hedoesn't tear it. I had to limit Tucker's time as he'd get racing aroundhere so fast and was back to normal within a few days, but I knew itwas too soon for him to really be going crazy.

Some rabbits feel better within a few days time, others take a coupleof weeks. You'll be able to tell how your little one's doing by justhow lethargic he is.

Let us know when he's out of surgery. I'll say a prayer.

Don't be shy about posting. I've seen you here, and am very glad you introduced yourself.

:)

-Carolyn

When I got my buck neutered last year, he wasback to normal that night, but like Carolyn said, I kept him in hiscage regardless, so he could heal up.

My other buck is in today getting neutured too. :p I can't wait to getmy little guy home though. Even though it's for the best, I always feelguilty for bringing on pain and discomfort to my babies.

Thank you so much Caroline for the info I sureappreciate it. I phoned the vets about half hr ago and she said he isdoing great :)She said he is sitting up looking around andhas already eaten some of his food, was I ever relieved to hear that.He doesn't have a wire bottom on his cage but has a plastic insert withslits in it. Maybe i should just let him do his job on that then.Hopefully he will be back to his own self ( except for thinking I'm hismate ) real soon. Thanks again for all your help. It is sure nice to beable to come to a site like this where the people are so friendly andknowledgable.

I felt the same way takeing Floppyin. Ifelt so guilty because they don't have a say in it and it seems soevasive what they do. I know it will be for the better as I am sick ofhaveing to sit on the table everytime he is let out lol. He wasspraying me everytime and thought I was his mate. Thank-you forreplying to my post also as it sure helps when others have already gonethrough it and can ease someone elses mind.

:shock:I never realised how lucky I am that my boys are well behaved and don't spray!

My Gir was eating and resting comfortably thenight of his operation, but I restricted his movements for a day and ahalf just so he didnt get excited and do too much jumpingaround. Neutering is not as traumatic as spaying, so justkeep an eye on him and offer him some treats as a peace offering =)

Thank you so much to all of you, you have reallymade me feel a lot better as I wasn't sure what to expect. This is thegreatest forum around. You people are all so kind and careing.

bluevelvet,

Although we don't know you well, we already care about you and yours.Many of us have been through those emotions of worrying and fear whenour rabbits go under anesthesia.

I'm so glad your little one came out of the medication okay. :)

You could put some paper towel down to absorb moisture a bit if you wish, but you do what you think is best.

-Carolyn

for any open wounds on cats including declaws andextra toe removal, plus bunny neuter, we suggest yesterdaysnews. Also i think carefresh would be alright aswell. :)

hey bluevelvet! gotta ask a question since you'rein calgary too.. how much are you paying for your cat country litter??i've been trying to find a cheaper place, the lowest i have is $18 for40lbs. but i go through that in 2 weeks!

Hi Spiced I pay the same as you do atPetland. It is the only place i have found it, I wishedWalmart sold it closer to my house and probably cheaper. I was doingroughly about a 40lb bag in 2 weeks also until I bought the condo now Igo through a bag in about 5 weeks as I use more at a time but not asfrequent to have to clean it completely out.

yep.. petland for me too! i'm lookingaround for wood pellets as well.. i've found lots of pine pelletlitter, but the price is either the same as cat country, or moreexpensive! i bought some to try in the bottom of my pans andput the cat country on top and the buns seem to like it and it workswell. havent tried farm supply places yet though.if i find something i'll post just in case you're interested too:)

Ok ty Spiced I really appreciate that. I knowwhen I bought my rabbit at Petland they wewre useing wood pellets butthe manager said they were out of them, I have been looking there forthem but still haven't found them. Knowing Petland though they areprobably the same price nothing cheap there. I will keep my eyes opentoo and let you know if I find something cheaper.

How's the patient doing, bluevelvet?

-Carolyn

He is still not feeling well Stephanie ty forasking. He doesn't move around hardly at all, he just lays in hislitter box. Last night he got up a bit and ate some hay and drank somewater, but he doesn't seem to want to get out of it this morning. Ihave been hand feeding him hay and water and he is takeing it but he isstill not himself at all. I know he wants to come outthoughbecause when I open his door he tries to come out. Thevet said to leave him in his cage for about a week that seems long tome. Have to take him back on Tuesday so they can check his stitcheshope everything is ok with him.

Latest posts

Back