Getting Honey Neutered in a little over a week.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labyrinth001

Reaction score
So, Honey's reached that age...he's been honking and running around my feet whenever I'm standing up, and the other night he tried to show his love for me in a way I a not willing to accept, lol. I made an appointment for neutering on the 28th because I don't have time to get it done this week.

What should I do the night before? The receptionist who answered said I should not give him too much food that night and give him a lot in the morning before I bring him in to make sure he's eaten and his stomach is full before the operation. Then they'll do the check-up and if he's fine to go through with it, they'll do it that day and I'll pick him up in the afternoon.

Are there certain foods I should offer after he's been done to make sure he eats? Or just hay and pellets and the usual stuff? I tried looking on google, but there's so much different info it's hard to pick what's right.

I had Gary neutered earlier this week. I just fed as normal. The day I took him in I brought pellets, hay, and his favorite snacks. The hay and pellets were for before the operation and the snacks were to tempt him to eat after (really, what bun can resist cilantro?)

He came home the same night and was groggy. He drank some and nibbled a little on his selection of greens. By morning he wanted out of the play pen and ate pretty good. Today he REALLY wants out of the play pen and is eating with full gusto. I'm going to let him out some tonight and keep an eye on him. Normally he is free run 24/7 but I wanted to wait a couple days before letting him run like a crazy bun and jump on things.

Okay, I think I'll feel more comfortable if I just feed normally and send him in with a bit of food :) Did you provide a bowl of water or did he drink from a water bottle without an issue?

He drank from a water bottle while he was there, but as soon as he got home he gulped from his dish. He was on a bottle before I got him so he knew how to use it, but I think most buns prefer a dish because it's easier.

I would not change what you feed the night before and the morning of the surgery. Just give the normal amount. Also send food with him, at least pellets and hay. You don't know what the vet might have on hand for feeding (if anything) and you don't want to change the diet even for a couple hours and especially right after surgery. Make sure they will give him the food. Rabbits need to have food before and after surgery to keep the gut moving. Even if you do pick him up in the afternoon, it can still be around 8 hours without food. While he might not want to eat, he still needs that option.
The vet should ask if he uses a water bowl or bottle. Rabbits should also have water available, and it helps to use what they are used to. You could bring his bottle from home if you want (label it though and make sure you get it back).

As far as what to offer after surgery, give what he likes. If he likes parsley, make sure you have some. Since he might not want to drink, soak the veggies and offer them wet so he can get moisture from them. I would not give anything new, so if you want to introduce new stuff start now so you can see if there is a reaction to it. You may also want to give a bit more pellets if he will eat them, still measure so you know what he is eating, but a bit more shouldn't hurt and should get him to eat.

Thanks for the info...I'm really nervous about him going in, even though I know males are supposed to bounce back pretty quickly after neutering. I'll make sure to have his favorites ready for when he returns, and I plan on putting towels in his cage for the first few days as bedding. I will definitely send in food with him and tell them to give it to him after the surgery. The veterinarian I'm sending him to comes recommended by local rabbit rescues for spaying/neutering, so I know they know what they're doing. I just want it to go smoothly as possible for my little man.

Latest posts

Back