getting bunny used to nail trims

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperknitsRN

Reaction score
I'm thinking I might just grit my teeth and "git her done" whenever the chore comes up, because today I tried "practice handling" with Olive and it... uh... did not go off so well. Not only did she manage to get out of her bunny burrito several times, I got a very indignant thump and flick of a rabbit pellet (poo) when it was over. I tried to make up by giving her a blueberry, but I'm not sure the Queen has deigned to accept my peace offering yet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is rather than harass her with picking her up and putting her in the towel as practice (when she obviously loathes the process)--I'm thinking I should just confine it to the times when I absolutely have to. She doesn't enjoy it, I don't enjoy it, and I don't want to be The Big Scary Monster who's constantly trying to get her to settle in my lap for reasons that are to her, scary and irrelevant.

Ideally I'd like to see her relax about the toenail trim, but that never happened with my other bunny, either.

Any tips or suggestions to make the process less painful for the both of us?

I think you should just keep practicing handling her. Sure she hates it now, but in time she'll learn to tolerate it.You just need to keep working with her. Start with baby steps, just putting her on the towel and then putting her right back down again before she can get upset. Then get her used to being wrapped up. Then touching each foot. And then move on to actually clipping one nail.Just don't let her get away with kicking and scratching or biting. In time she'll learn to tolerate the handling. Also, work gloves and long sleeves may be necessary at first.

I personally believe that rabbits should learn to be picked up, held, their feet handled, etc. etc. Mostly because in an emergency situation, you need to be able to do these things.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I don't use a towel at all when trimming my rabbits nails. I just hold them firmly by their scruff (and if they're fiesty, an ear or both to control head movement). I sit on a chair with my knees a little lower than my hips so when the rabbit is flipped on its back with its head toward my knees, their head is lower than their rear, which seems to help induce a trance. I usually calm them further by petting the bridge of their nose or their cheeks (depending on whether they normally like that kind of petting). I usually also stroke them along the sides and belly just to get them to see that there's not any danger in this position. Once I release them, it's more petting and some free time.

When I clip my rabbits nails I get someone to hold her properly (usually my friend who owns rabbits so she knows what shes doing) and then I clip her nails. I find this is a better angle for me so I can see the vein properly. At first my bun would kick and struggle but now she just sits there!

I also get someone to help with holding while I do the clipping. They hold Gimpy in their lap and flip him on his back/bum. They hold his feet and hands so he can't move around or kick out. I then pet his head until kind of calms down and I get to clipping. Its faster to clip this way as I have both of my hands free instead of worrying about holding while clipping.

I tried the burrito method at first but that really didn't go over well as it stressed Gimpy out as he hated it and I found it hard to handle the rabbit and clip at the same time.

My rabbit really doesn't like being picked up but has learned to tolerate the clippings. I do it about once a month and it only takes a few minutes.

I've trimmed lots of bunny nails. The least stressful way I've found seems to be if you can just get the rabbit on all fours and pull one leg out at a time. Trancing works for some, but not all buns. It really is easiest if you have an extra set of hands. That way one of you can hold the rabbit in a way you feel secure and the other can (confidently and swiftly) trim the nails. I would recommend against handling a rabbit by the scruff because their spine is so sensitive and they can kick out in stress and injure themselves.

I know it might seem cruel, but scaring the rabbit stiff works for me, I have no other choice since I clip her nails all alone.

I bring her out into the appartment hallway and sit on the stairs where she isn't used to being. I lay her on my lap, and she doesn't leave my lap because she is afraid of the "lava floor" that she isn't used to. It's still a pain in the neck to clip her nails, but at least I don't have to worry about her leaping off while I have the clippers around her nails.

Think of a scary place to clip your rabbit, maybe in your car? anywhere it's not used to being.

Latest posts

Back