Getting bunny a friend-do I need to quarantine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippie

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting my almost 3 month old bunny a friend. He is male and I plan on getting him neutered when he is old enough. What I am wondering is, if I were to get him a companion, would I need to quarantine this new rabbit? And if so, for how long? Is it better to get a male or female? And should the new rabbit be fairly young too? Is it better to introduce rabbits while they are still young or can adult rabbits learn to get along? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I quarentine every animal I bring into my house, I have a lot of pets so vet bills go way up if more then one animal gets sick(I recently got 3 mice who all ended up with a upper respitory infection, lucky my others did not get it, they looked healthy when I got them). If I get a female animal I QT for the lenght of gestation(how long they are pregnant because you never know), so a month for a doe, usually 3-4 weeks for a male.
The best time too introduce rabbits is when both are fixed and given a month of so for the hormones to die down. Do you have any animal rescues or shelters that spay/neuter rabbits? You might luck out and get one already done. From what I hear male and female combos work the best. Both fixed of course :)
I don't think there is any issue about age, rabbits are social animals.

Latest posts

Back