getting another rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
I know it really depends on the tempermant of the rabbits you are talking about. Eventually i will get another rabbit , is there a rule of thumb? I have Belle , she is a spayed female who is a lil over 2 years. What , do you think, is the kind of rabbit that she would better like. If i was to get a baby i worry about puberty and maybe them never getting along, if i get a baby is it better to wait for after puberty and a sputer to do bonding and introduction. just want to know for when i add another bun, what to kind of keep in mind when looking and deciding

hello! have recently been thru this myself. buck hartley died in january and his timid little mate roxy, aged 3, pined terribly. we were so worried that we decided to get another rabbit. the only otter rex the breeder had was a 6 month show bunny. as he was un-neuteredand hadnt had any vaccinations it was nearly a month before they could actually meet. they were living together but separated by the mesh of the fence. roxy still had the run of the shed at night but he was locked in his hutch. it was a month of taking turns in the garden and him having the run of the house upstairs.

roxy, who is spayed, perked up imediately we put him in his hutch. they also had plenty of time to get used to each other. now they are very well bonded and inseparable:) roxy has become more confident with this young buck and is no longer the submissive little bunny she was with her previous partner.

new bunny has been neutered btw:biggrin2:

How is your bun now ? Do you know how she reacts to diffrent genders of buns ?
I think, you should let her expirience the two genders.. see which one she gets along better with.
Also though, if you adopt from a shelter they usually ask you bring all your pets and family members with you so everyone can see how he/she acts with them.
I would think that you should go for a younger bun, but not to young that Belle would act as a parent.

Knowing how dominant Belle is, I'd go to the shelter and ask for an older (1.5+) bunny that's very submissive. That way you don't have to worry about the puberty thing screwing up a bond they have, and a submissive bunny won't mind her humping. I think it's best to bond bunnies of similar ages, although as a dominant bunny, she might do well with a younger one to "parent." Still, not having to deal with puberty is a huge plus.

have realized, thanks to the responses to this thread, that roxy is probably parenting the new bun. it would certainly explain her behaviour change:D

Luvmyzoocrew - hope it works out for belle and thanks for (inadvertantly) helping me:D

i think Belle is dominant but on the same note i think she needs to be dominated, does this make sense? She would hump Sooty, and hump him, and hump him, but there were tons of times s he would shove her head down to be licked in return but he very rarely did that. Could it be possible that she needs to be dominated?

What happens in puberty in a young rabbit? I mean i know the hormones and all but does that "change" a rabbit? and when is puberty?

Brandy- around here most shelters dont make you bring the other animals to the shelter for a meet and greet, and i have to say thank god cause if i had to lug out the cats, and the dogs, and the kids, and Belle, i would not want to get another rabbit,lol.

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
Brandy- around here most shelters dont make you bring the other animals to the shelter for a meet and greet, and i have to say thank god cause if i had to lug out the cats, and the dogs, and the kids, and Belle, i would not want to get another rabbit,lol.

I think when getting a bun it would be only animals that would come in contact with it, and if he/she would be caged then no animals would go.. just people.

Back