Getting another rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyRabbit33

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm thinking of getting anotherrabbit!! :yes:I want to rescue one if i can, and i'd have totake Binky to see if he likes the new rabbit.Anyways,are two rabbits much different than 1? If the otheris litter trained i think it won't be much different, butfor2 rabbits do i need to buy another set of bowls and litter trays or dothey have no problem sharing? 1 more question- is there a problem withhaving a rabbit a lot bigger than Binky?

Here's one rabbit I'm looking at for now:http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7965296

well. . .he is very cute. . .but there are a few things:

owning 2 rabbits is more work then one. . .more feed, more veggies, more time. . . not that owning 2 rabbits(or more) isn't fun

don't expect 2 males to live together happily. . .not saying that itcan't happen (haley's basil and max are a shinning example of 2 bondedmale bunnies), but it takes a lot of work and time, and in the end youhave to be ready to face the fact that they may never bond

you will need a seperate cage, seperate everything.. . .

i would suggest before getting a second bun to read the bonding section of bunny 101. . .you will get lots of information there!

Thanks for the reply. Well none of thatisa problem for me. Im looking to get a male and a female(one of them fixed), i can get all the feed i need, i'm with my rabbitall the time, and i can buy any supplies i need. I'll read up some moreabout bonding rabbits, but since im taking mine to find his own friendi dont think there will be that much bonding needed.

I think you are a little bit mislead about youngrabbits. Your rabbit may get on awesome with another rabbit now but heis YOUNG and there is still a pretty good chance he will not get alongwith a rabbit when he gets older. He may pick out one now but there isno guarentee things will stay that way. No matter what, when you bringa new rabbit home you should always be prepared to permanently housethem separately. Unfortunately things don't always work out as we wantthem to.

Unless you are prepared to do so, I recommend waiting until he is overa year so you can be sure the 'teen years' wont bea problem.

Depends upon the rabbits in question. But Tiny, my flemish giant lovesto hang out with my lionhead does. He's 17 pounds...it would take 5 ofthem to equal his size.....

Peg

BinkyRabbit33 wrote:
1 morequestion- is there a problem with having a rabbit a lot bigger thanBinky?

I definitely agree with MBB. At leastget Binky neutered, then wait a month for him to heal and his hormonesto decrease. I know how tempting it is to get another rabbit,I've been there. But just take this time to prepare for thesecond rabbit. Second cage, new stuff, etc. Andread up on bonding a lot. There's lots of great articles inBunny 101.

It felt like it took forever for my first bun Mocha to be old enough tobe spayed, and then wait for her to heal to get her a neuteredboyfriend. But it was worth it.

You'll also need to be prepared to keep the second rabbit separate notonly during the bonding process, but sometimes permanently in casethings never work out. Nothing is guaranteed, even if theylike each other at the shelter. Binky may get upset once hesees the other rabbit in his home territory.

I just wanted to tell you guys that i did get asecond rabbit. Before you get mad at me, i want you to know that thenew one is my sisters. We are going to try to bond her with Binky, butif it fails each one will have their own cage to return to, very farapart. And believe me, there will be no decrease in attention, both ofthem are very spoiled :)

did you end up adopting Marley or another one?? Im sure everyone would love to see pictures of the new one.

Latest posts

Back