Getting a bun to gain weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
Hi all,

As some of you may have read, I'm fostering a rabbit named Zorro the Dwarf Hotot. Zorro was neutered yesterday and had his extensive wounds treated (we think he was attacked by a large dog. He has scabs and deep wounds all over his body. Not to mention his nose, which was attacked by another rabbit.)

Well, the neuter, as I said, went fine, and he woke up fine and was eating fine etc. But Zorro is also underweight. I don't want to say terribly underweight- he weighs 2.2 pounds, but he is a bit bony. I'm willing to bet that getting him up to three pounds wouldn't hurt him at all. At the very least, I want him to be 2.5 pounds.

I've been feeding him a portion of whole-grain bread, but I was curious if there are any other good methods to get a rabbit to gain weight. Any food suggestions?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about Zorro's attack:shock:, poor thing. Oh, please don't give him bread. Is there somewhere that you heard to do this? What kind of pellets is he on? You can go get some different pellets (even an alphalfa pellet or a mix of pellets wiould be good) that are higher in fiber/protein to slowly switch him over to, which will help. You can also give some dry oats with his pellets, which will also help him gain some weight.

I'm sure others will be along to give more advice soon;).

Nope, I came up with the bread thing on my own. I've only been doing it for a few days. I know it can cause problems, if fed too much...that's why I was asking lol! It's a small portion of bread, less than a fourth of a slice, but there are a lot better methods, so that was why I was asking.

His poops are normal, btw, and he is eating well. He's on an alfalfa/timothy pellet mix and gets lot of hay. He loves timothy hay. I've also been feeding him a little extra banana.

What would be a good portion of oats to feed? I'll definitely buy some on the way home.

How many times a day does he get pellets? You can either sprinkle about a palm sized (center of palm;)) amount in his pellets twice a day or so or just give them as a treat same amount twice a day is all I would do. Let's see what others have to say on amount of oats:D. You can also provide a mix of hays as well. Mine love oat hay:D.

Hi Ivory,

A few things. First...drop the bread...not good. I trust his teeth...especially the molars...were checked during his surgery. Dwarfs are always prone to dental issues. I would perform at least one fecal to check for parasites. If all of that is OK...to gain weight, increase calories. This should be done slowly to allow the GI to acclimate. Upping the amount of pellets....especially the alfalfa based pellets....will work. Offering alfalfa hay works. Some greens....we like dandelions....are high in nutrition. You can also supplement his food with Nutri-Cal (in small amounts) which is nothing but fat in a tube. Ramp his calories up gradually and then use pellets to maintain his weight once you get it where you need it to be. Dwarfs usually don't have a problem adding weight....and keep in mind that the stress he has obviously been under may play a part.

Randy

Hey Randy,

Thanks for the advice. Bread has been dropped. I felt a little odd about giving it in the first place (the whole overgrowth of not-good bacteria thing) but I figured that in the small amounts I was giving it, for a few days, wouldn't hurt.

Yep, all teeth were examined thoroughly during surgery. And yep, we performed a fecal to make sure there were no parasites. Perhaps we'll do another just to check. I believe I'll ask.

I don't know if I have dandelion in my yard, I'll have to check...stupid question, but can that be bought in stores?

Ah, Nutri-Cal! That is a definite possibility! I believe we have some at the moment. That will definitely be added.

He's certainly taking all of this in stride. He's a good little bunny.

I get dandelion greens at the grocery - some of the organic stores are great for carrying them.

Zorro gets pellets twice a day. I believe I will give him some oats on top of his pellets as well as some oat hay, possibly. And we luckily have a tube of Nutrical in the office. I'll see if he likes it.

Nutri-Cal is a high calorie supplement that even though it is designed to get animals that wont eat ,eating again it also helps to aid in putting on weight. i use it on tabby because he lost like a pound so i put him on the supplemant and he gained again.
you can also feed alfalfa hay to aid in gaining weight.

the Nutri-cal I had was expired, so we're ordering a new tube tomorrow. And the feed store was out of alfalfa. But I did buy some alfalfa sprouts for him to eat in small amounts for the next few days. Once he figured out they were food he ate them with joy.

He's a funny bunny.

I found Flaxseed (high fiber) a delight. Try some sunflower seeds (the ones used for birds).
I squeeze Nutri-Cal on top of oats so it doesn't stick everywhere.

okay....

Zorro doesn't eat his pellets. He eats a lot of hay, and will eat apple, but he won't eat pellets and he won't eat the Nutri-Cal. He ate some dried pineapple and some dried dates, and some carrot.

I'm going to try some dried cranberries as well as some banana.

I just saw him stretched out, and I realized how much a pound of weight means on a dwarf. He really needs to gain that pound within the next couple of months...I am going to weigh him later. Other than the underweightness he's in good health and is active, alert, has clear, clean eyes....but I'm just worried.

I think I'm just being impatient.

How about oat groats? has anyone tried those?

I've been looking for flaxseed, but I haven't been able to find it.

If you just used some rolled oats that should helpa lot. As for him not eating pellets maybe you could try putting some apple or carrot juice over them to make them more inticing?

He eats some apple...but he really isn't eating anything but timothy hay. But it's really weird because he isn't acting remotely odd, and he got checked over and he's fine. No tummy problems. No inflammation, and he's acting normal. I don't know why I'm so worried. I mean he's a small rabbit but it's so odd to see a rabbit not eating very much. But he eats his timothy hay.

I feel paranoid...but maybe there's something else there. I don't know. He isn't acting like there's something else there, or showing any signs that there's something else there, other than not eating much. His poop output is good. His poops are good, nice and firm but not dehydrated or shrunken. He isn't dehydrated. Dad put him in good health but in need of gaining weight. His organs are fine. His wounds are healing realy well, actually one of the scabs on his nose is falling off.

But I just feel like I'm missing something, but I don't know where to go with it or where to start.

Oh, and he ate some banana, too.

Here is my opinion:

He's probably on a much better diet than he used to be. The simple change in diet, along with a bit of time, will make him gain weight. I don't think you need to do anything really special.

The addition of some oats would be good. Just don't go too overboard on trying to make him gain weight. What will happen is he will get used to getting treats and make him refuse to eat the "blah" food. Lol.

That's what I would do. Mixing a small amount of alfalfa with his timothy hay could be good.

But seriously, he is really not that much underweight so he will put it on quite quickly with the new care he is getting from you. When I had Wiggles she was very much underweight and it was a nasty experience. It was harder to switch her diet afterwards. She pouted and ignored me for a while after until she got used to her regular diet. Lol.

As for him not eating so much, remember that he went through quite the ordeal. It might take a few days until he is able to really trust, destress, and slowly get back to normal. Wounds and surgeries are demanding on bunnies :)Keep a good eye on him, and definitely add Nutrical to his diet.

Oh no, don't worry. I'm not going overboard on it. I've been giving small amounts of apple, banana, etc., not large enough to where when he gains that weight, it'll be too much treat food and not enough "blah" food, lol.

You have to remember, I'm overly paranoid. My brain is screaming, "GET FOOD INTO HIM NOW BEFORE HE GOES INTO HEPATIC LIPIDOSIS WOMAN!"

I think I just need comfort...

Technically I'm only supposed to be keeping him for two weeks, but I think I'm going to be keeping him a little longer than that. Maybe a full month. I know they aren't suppossed to gain it fast- and really, I know a pound isn't that underweight. Obviously he wouldn't have been neutered if he couldn't have handled it. It's just that, he won't eat the oats. He won't take the Nutri-cal. He won't eat much but timothy hay, some apple, and some banana. He doesn't eat pellets. He isn't eating alfalfa sprouts, or the alfalfa hay that's in there. I even made some bunny cake and gave him some..and he doens't want that, either. He barely touched the carrot piece I gave him (just a slice.)

Oh wait. He was on Baytril. DUH. Injectible...but it can still decrease their appetite.

*slaps forehead*

I feel stupid now...

Latest posts

Back