Get Crafty!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemgnir

Reaction score
I figured it was time to open a craft thread... that way, the people that aren't really in to all that, don't have to read about it in our blogs, in between the bunny ramblings. Or if you'd like to read about it in our blogs, you can do that too. ;)

My daughter (14 months) is going to a "Princess Birthday Party" on Saturday, so I thought it was time I made her her own outfit for this occasion. Not anything SUPER princess-like since I'm really not THAT advanced with my sewin' skillz.. but maybe modern princess?? Hehe. I've only gotten the skirt done so far, which is two different fabrics that I've never worked with before (go me!). I'm trying to branch out and use things that I'm not used to so I can gain experience. I made Evelynn's skirt out of Satin and Chiffon. It was a little frustrating at the beginning because I sewed the two main (Satin- the silver) pieces together one right side and one wrong side together (durr) when it was supposed to be both right sides together. Woops! Then I got re-excited about it when I went to do the ruffles. I love ruffles!!

This is also the first project I've ever really done without using a pattern or tutorial! Yippee!!

skirt.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

On the top right of the skirt is a little satin flower made by using (http://jonesdesigncompany.com/create/5-days-of-favorite-projects-day-1/) <-- this tutorial. Mine didn't get as curly on the edges as I would have liked, but my fabric caught on fire a few times.... so I wasn't gonna push it. Hehe!!

Another of my latest projects for the same birthday party (the little girl is turning 8? I think..) is a little apron! The little girl likes blues, so I tried to make it "hers". :p

P1010008-2.jpg

Isn't it so cute? I told you, I love ruffles. Or gathers. or pleats. I made this using (http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/08/05/childs-apron-tutorial/) <-- this tutorial.

P1010012-1.jpg

I also made a chef's hat for her! I was going to attempt a fake cooking mitten but it was too complicated and I'm not a quilter. (Chef hat tute found here: http://www.u-createcrafts.com/2009/02/childs-apron-chef-hat.html).

Tell me whatcha think and I wanna see your crafts, too!

(Okay, I know I reply to like, every post.. but I really don't have THAT much time on my hands. I just prioritize.. I do my sewing at night when the kid goes to bed, and I get on here while the kid is playing/eating. :D) Yippee!:lookaround

Aww, all 3 of those are so cute! Especially the little skirt. Congrats for trying something new :) I haven't done ruffles yet but will try them soon as the border on a little pillow. When I read that your fabric for the flower kept catching on fire I was rather alarmed because I didn't know you actually put flame to the fabric until I looked at the tutorial :D "How in the world did her fabric catch on fire?!" I do want to try making some of those flowers now, they look like poppies! I however do not want to wear polyester satin anytime soon since it's so melty/catch on fire-y :p In any case, I think your daughter will look adorable and the birthday girl will love her presents!

And aren't online tutorials the best? I haven't used a printed pattern for anything yet. I know you already saw it, but here's my table runner that I finished last night:

IMG_6566.jpg

It's based off this tutorial:

http://www.spoolsewing.com/blog/2008/11/11/tricky-tablerunner/

:)

Ohhh I still just love your table runner! Gosh, I bet your table looks extra fabulous.

Thank you for the compliments! HA! I thought about that when I wrote it, too (about the flower catching on fire)- the lady said that SOME Satins catch fire, and I kind of figured mine would be the one (hehe) especially since it was glittery. Humph. It turned out pretty nicely anyway though!

Love that apron! I love the bandana look to it (pointed at the bottom). A friend of mine made me an apron for my birthday this year and I LOVE it! I am so blessed. :D But I agree, that apron HAS to be pretty simple especially since the top part and bottom part aren't two different pieces. ;)

And YES! I absolutely adore all the free tutorials you can find on the internet! Makes life so much easier! I haven't purchased a pattern online or in store yet either, but there are some things where I go "Oohh.. I really want to make that exact thing!" and maybe one day will splurge if it's for a special somebody. :p

Let me know if you do a ruffle pillow! That one website that I got the flower tutorial from (www.jonesdesigncompany.com) has a ruffle pillow tutorial and I will definitely be making some of those one day, once I actually start decorating.. hehe.

:D

My mom has made many a ruffly pillow and it seems pretty easy. Cut out a front and a back, sew a zipper into the back, cut out lots of fabric for the ruffles (my mom says about 3 times as much fabric as the circumference of the pillow, fold fabric in half and press, do a zig zag stitch, then do a long stitch and pull the threads on either end to make the ruffles. Then sew along the bottoms to set the ruffles in place and sew onto the back. Then sew on the front! I think that's all there is to it.

Embarrassing admission time... I don't love how ruffles on pillows look per se, but I love how they feel. When I was born, my mom sewed me a pillow with 3 layers of ruffles and when I was a kid I slept with the pillow every night and ran my fingers over the ruffles. Said pillow was in tatters quickly and Mom had to remake it about 5 times over my childhood. I still love ruffles on pillows because of my pillow :D

That does sound pretty easy! I'm gonna have to make some out of Linen, cus I llooooove linen. And how sweeet! Reminds me of Evelynn (my daughter)! The first thing I EVER sewed was a blanket for her. Quilters Cotton on one side (brown with pink/blue/some green paisleys) and pink Minkee on the other side (super soft with those embossed circles on them.. like bubbles?) and she falls asleep by rubbing that blanket on the soft side! Sooo sweet. I will have to make her a ruffle pillow for sure when she's ready for one.

Aww... such sweet memories. :D

Ha, I've always thought the raised dots on the minkee fabric look just like nipples, especially the pink fabric. I've thought that every single time I've seen it. My mom and I have been calling it nipple fabric for years! :D

Yeah I was going to add a comment about it being very appropriate for babies because of that :D

I'm definitely going to try making the flowers like on your daughter's skirt. I'll glue magnets to the back and then give them to my assorted female relatives for Christmas! We started doing a Secret Santa thing at Christmas to cut down on all the gift buying but it would be nice to just make flower magnets for my aunt, cousins, grandmother, mom and brother's girlfriend. We won't be there for Christmas so I'll have to send a box but the magnets will be light weight! Thanks for the awesome idea!

Awww, that will be so lovely! It's always nice to have something cutesy on the fridge (or wherever they decide to use them) and makes me feel more feminine. I have some white and black polka dot "'R"'s on my fridge and love them! (my last name is Ring). Love those flowers, though. They are just so cute and pretty inexpensive to make! I don't think my hubby and I are going home (NC) for Christmas this year either. Too expensive! (not to mention stressful!) So I'm really sad about that.. I"ll definitely have to make them all a little something though.

You're welcome for the idea! :D

Back