Gentle Vege's...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
Ru, and Fluff are on a hay only diet due to their ISS (intermittent soft stools) I tried to re-introduce some spinach, 1 leaf each and that didn't go down very well. They had very wet looking poo not diarrhoea, this is a big change from the 100% hay only diet very dry poos...My big concern is them not getting enough nutrients and vitamins????Ruby's been on the diet since the 18th of december and fluffy the 20th. Anyway what are some gentle veges for them too?

First, have their fecals been checked for parasites, coccidia, and unusual bacteria?

I also would be concerned about them not getting enough nutrients with just hay, but I think Randy has some on a diet like that. Are you giving them different types of hay? That helps a lot.

The first veggie I start any rabbit with is parsley. It has a mild calming effect on the stomach, is very tasty, and has lots of vitamins. Start with just a tiny bit. Another good starter is mint or any mint-family herb like basil. These are all very good for upset stomachs and also have good nutritional value. I drink peppermint tea to help with my IBS and it does help. These are also really easy plants to grow in pots. Just don't plant them in the garden because many mint species are invasive and will take over the whole yard!

Hope that helps! Do be aware that some rabbits just do not handle veggies very well. How are they with pellets? Even just a tiny smidge a day can provide some of the vitamins and minerals they might be missing.

:cooking:

They havn't had their poops checked, going back a bit now but it seemed they would always get soft poop after eating their brekkie (pellets) it would even out in the day and then after dinner (pellets and greens) they would go mushy again. Randy said that the article I was given from the vet was a very well written one and everything was true except something lol ( i'll just go find the link)
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=670 That's the article I was given.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=42112&forum_id=48
That's the old thread, if you want to get more background.

For their hay, over here we can't go out and by timothy or any hay packaged into the bags like oxbow and kleenmama. At the pet store they sell supermarket bags full of hay that smell quite yucky so I by it by the bale from farms. The bale was sold to me as "meadow hay" but I think its got clover and numerous sorts of grasses in it.

I'll go and pluck them some parsley soon and see how it goes. They get about 3 pellets everyday or so when they spin on command and they love them. I also put a few into those little cat balls with the bells in them and they roll them around trying to get them out.

Edited I forgot to say thankyou :shock:. How rude of me! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back