Genetics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyemondRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'd like to open up a discussion on the breeding of "red" rabbits. I have so many experiences now with breeders taking red new zealands to blacks or whites to get better type.

Basically, here's you chance for an open learning session on what this type of breeding entails and the variations of Agoutis that would be produced.

Here's a breakdown (I'll use my herd for an example)

I have bred DY16 (red doe out of ALL reds) to D20 (White buck, only whites)-this is hypothetical.

DY16: A (Agouti)__ B (Black)__ C (Full Color development)__ D (Dense coat color, brown eyes)__ ee (removes dark pigment) ww (doubles width of middle yellow or white agouti band, colors the agouti pattern areas)

D20: __ ___ cc (blocks expresion of all other colors) ___ ___ ___ ___

Possibilities?

Now, if you bred DY16 (A__, B__, C__, D__, ee, ww) to a Black (aa, B__, C__, D__, E__, W__). . . new ball game, right?

I think that DY16 should be AA, BB, CC, DD, ee, ww... BUT I could be totally wrong on that (haven't spent much time on this)

NOW.... what if we start messing with the broken gene?? ie Broken Black to solid red or Broken Black to Broken red?

This should be interesting...

Latest posts

Back