Genetics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymandolinist

Reaction score
I know I'm a little ahead of myself but I was wondering about rabbit genetics. I'd like to keep breeding lionheads exclusively. I was just wondering about colors. What kind of rabbits make what colors? I know a little about chicken genetics within a breed but I'm not yet proficiant in the art of rabbit-ing. Also, is it possible to get a clean cross between a lop ear and a lionhead, making a lionhead lop? I think that'd be really cool.

I think Pamnock has a really good section on her website about rabbit genetics. Peg used to breed lionheads as well so she should be able to help you out a bit :)

I'd hesitate to cross a lionhead and a lop. The lionhead breeders have been working so hard to perfect the breed, and make them look like a lion with the smaller ears and lion's main. I don't think that look would transpose to a lop eared rabbit. (The lionhead breeders are having enough trouble maintaining the mane on them.) And in reality, you'd just get a mixed breed rabbit.

I think that unless you are crossing breeds for a documented breeding program to create a different breed, you should stay away from it.

Latest posts

Back