genetics question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
Ok Peg and i had a bit of a discussion about this on chat but just to try and clarify.

My Chestnut agouti had a litter a wek ago tomorrow. she had 3 babies.

The dad is an opal ( he has an opal dad and a siamese smoke mum)

the babies are :-

1 self black

1 opal

1 either self blue or siamese smoke (i think blue self)

How have i got selfs out of 2 agouti patterns? as i thought the agouti patterns were dominent

oh i dont know her parents (poss a black parent?)

I think you answered yourself. If agouti is dominant, then the agouti gene effectively "hides" the self genes. So each parent could have one agouti gene and one self gene, you just don't see the self because it isn't expressed at all.

Same thing works with people that have O, B, or A bloodtypes. OO=O type blood, AA=A, AO=A, BB=B, BO=B. And off topic, AB=AB, a mixed genotype where both genes are expressed equally.

Have you ever done a Punnett square? It's a chart that helps you determine possible genotypes and phenotypes (how the genes are expressed) when you know the genetics of both parents. It also shows how likely various combinations are. Here's some basic info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnett_square

Thanks Naturestee. Thats a brill thing.

yeah i have talked to a few people i reckon 1 of my agouti's parents is a self black which i snice actually cause i have ended up with 3 litters all having colours i wanted and no colours i didnt want how fab is that :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back