Genetics 101, and ranting thereabout

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Turtle

Reaction score
OK, normally I don't go off on things like this, but after the last day or so dealing with one potential buyer, I just have to say something here.

First of all, we do Flemish. It's all we do. In Flemish, in some ways we have it easy compared to a lot of breeds. We have seven colors, and they're all (for all practical purposes), solid. Black, blue, fawn, light gray, sandy, steel gray, white. That's it, babe. We don't have to worry about patterns, spots, pointed this or otter that. A Flemish just IS what its color is.

That last color, "white," is the issue here. In physics, white is the presence of all colors, but in wabbits, it's the absence of ALL color.

We had a litter of whites three months ago. Seven terrific kits, their dad is a Grand and mom has one leg (mostly because she's young and has been off the show circuit for four months having kits). They are as white as copier paper, except for the fact Dad is a big slob and stains himself all the time.

Anyway, when the kits were really young, a guy from Pennsylvania emails me asking if I had a breeding pair of whites. I told him that we'd just had a litter of whites and didn't know what we had, and if he was still interested, email me in June when we knew what we had. Never mind that I would not sell a pair out of the same litter for breeding, but would suggest instead that he get maybe a doe from us and a buck from somebody else. Never heard anything more from the guy.

Well, most of that litter is gone now, sold to other breeders and some people who appreciate whites. As of the other day, we had one doe and one buck left, and the doe was spoken for, so we've been trying to figure out what to do with the buck. I pulled up the guy's email and asked if he was still interested.

He sent me an email back asking if they were "pure" whites. Now, I don't know about you, but I have no idea what "pure" means. I explained that if all you ever do is breed Flemish whites to other Flemish whites, eventually their fur gets all cottony and they're basically unshowable. I gave him contacts for other regional breeders (there aren't many who do whites) and suggested he check with them for a doe. He replied, and kept going on about this "pure white" thing. I explained that to get better fur quality, Flemish breeders will often breed a white to a light gray... whites often have better size, but light grays have much better fur texture. You'll get a mixed bag of kits, but the whites will still be true whites, and if you breed a white to a white, you will not get anything but whites, short of some magic or a mutation.

Well, this guy went off and talked to a couple of other breeders and came back to me, dismissing the other breeders as "they don't know what they're talking about." Basically, they all said the same thing: to get better fur, whites are often crossed with light grays. This guy had somehow concocted the idea that if a white and a non-white are crossed, the white kits aren't this "pure" white he has in mind.

Now, in 1975, Mrs. Giacomo beat 8th grade biology into me, and one thing I do know is how recessive genes work. Whites had no gene for color, so if you breed a white to a white, their kids will all be white. 100%. It's not like they can go down to Target and pick up a gene that will make one kit magically be steel gray or fawn. It just... doesn't... happen. I remember such things, particularly when I've had them screamed at me by a neurotic Italian lady for 40 weeks a year.

Well, this guy wasn't buying it. He was ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you could not possibly have whites whose parents were anything else and get "true" whites, or this "pure white" he was after. And eventually he pulled the age card on me:

"Besides Iam 89 yrs old and have raised a numerous number of different breeds over my life time and the is no possibly way to have a oure white if there is coloured parentage to it it my be white yes but ITS NOT A PURE WHITE theres no possible way"

Ummm... what?

Every white IS a pure white. Period. If you have a white with gray or brown on it, then it's not a white, it's some washed-out fawn or light gray or whatever, it's not a white. Kinda like blue-eyed whites versus red-eyed whites: they are what they are.

And the dumbest thing was this:

"But the person I was talking too about the white flemish only got his white from 2 gray parents when i ask if they were pure white he tells me yes which they are not pure white though besides I dont care about SHOW QUALITY I just want some pure whites to breed with my White New Zealands for meat purposes."

BZZZZZZT!!

I immediately understand two things:
  1. He's raising for meat, and he wants "pure white" so the carcasses aren't sullied by stray visible dark hairs;
  2. He didn't read our farkin' site when he contacted us two months ago, or he'd have seen that we do not sell wabbits for meat or to be bred for meat. Period.
So I basically told him, sorry, we'll just have to disagree, move along, nothin' to see here.

Like I said, this is just sort of a rant. I just sort of shake my head when people are so darn convinced they and only they know what they're talking about, even when confronted by consistent statements from several different breeders that are 180 degrees opposite from what they're "sure" of. I shake my head even more when people whip out the "I'm old as dirt so I must automatically be right" card, because I am old enough to know that doesn't work.

And now this guy is going to go off and grumble for the rest of his days about how all these young breeders don't know a **** thing and he will never be able to quite explain why, because he doesn't seem to grasp the science behind it, science that's a lot older than me and him combined.

I'm not here to teach genetics. Mrs. Giacomo is retired, so she ain't gonna do it. I'm not even here to teach spelling and punctuation. Mr. Rehor is long dead. I'm just here to find good people who want good wabbits, and breed the best wabbits I can.

I just shake my head.

Turtle

I hope this rant helped you feel better ... though it probably wasn't funny while you were dealing with this guy, it made an entertaining read!

I have had the same issues here. I had a mini rex litter of tris and I had a gentleman who has raised rabbits since he was ten swear my tris aren't pure becuase a kit in the litter was a harlequin. I had no idea what to tell him...>_>

Well, see, that's the thing. When people get in this mindset of "I been doin' this a long time so can't nobody tell me nothin'," I'm pretty sure they're probably not worth listening to. It's a pretty poor day I don't learn something new about wabbits, and I'm always willing to learn it because it helps me, the wabbits, and anybody who might ask me about it some day.

I did get one more reply from the guy:

"YEA AND ITS CALLED FALSE ADVERTISMENT SELLING A RABBIT AS PURE WHITE IF IT HAS A COLOURED PARENT IN ITS BACKGROUND SORRY BUT THATS NOT A PURE WHITE RABIT ITS A VARIETY OF FLEMISH CROSS I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IVE BEEN IN THE RABBIT BUSINESS FOR WAY TO LONG FOR YOU OR ANYONE ELSE TO TRY TO PULL THAT OVER ON ME IM IN BUSINESS AND IM TOTALLY HONEST I DONT SELL ANY PURE WHITE RABBIT TO IF THERES COLOURED PARENTS IN THE LINEAGE SOMEWHERE BECAUSE ITS NOT A PURE IF THERE IS.I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT SOME OF YOUR RABBITS GO FOR MEAT UNLESS WHAT THEY JUST DIE OF OLD AGE NAD ALSO I KNOW YOU CANT HAVE ALL RABBITS THAT ARE SHOWABLE YOU MAY OR MAY NOT SELL THEM AS PETS BUT IM ALMOST POSITIVE SOME ARE EATING HENSESOLDASMEAT
IWASNOTBORNYESTERDAY"

Call me jaded, but whenever anybody starts a statement off with "I know for a FACT," I usually find out in the end that that really means "I've always believed and therefore assumed it was a fact."

For the record, yeah, we know where every single wabbit we've ever sold is. Every single one. Not that many, compared to a lot of breeders on here and in the offline world, but still, we know where they all are.

I won't post any more of this stuff, I just wanted to vent a little about it. It's actually really rare I run into people in the Flemish world who are just not with it, and the enormous majority of breeders of all breeds have been great people from whom I've learned a lot.

I think the thing is, sometimes I have to remember that there are the kind of breeders who inhabit this site, the ones who come out to shows and bring their best wabbits, the ones who work for years to build good traits and get rid of bad ones, and yet we're not everybody who is in the business. There are a lot of peope to whom they're just a product, livestock... meat. I guess that's fine for them, but it's not what we do and we just don't connect.

And I guess all of this guy's indignation could have been avoided if he'd just read the dang website where he got our email, where it says, "no meat rabbits!"

Turtle

I had a guy come to me 2 weeks ago. He said look at those rabbits. Can I have one. I bite off their heads and skinned them and eat them. I said yes I have rabbits but they arent for sale for you.. No Thanks.

:banghead I would have went un leaches on that guy! But hes not worth it. I hate people that are like that. My aunt is like that with me. She thinks she knows everything and tells me how to raise my rabbits. And she haves 20 rabbits die a week.. NOT! :tantrum:

That guy seems like a jerk! And somehow, i dont think hes really that old.I hate people that critisize. Being a breeder, i have dealt with many customers with his same attitude. My usual response goes along the line of, if you dont like it, dont buy it.

However, i think you all should be careful about meat business. I raise netherland dwarfs,dutch, as well as a rabbit here and there for fair. I dont breed for meat, but i do sell meat animals. Essencially, it is a business,I also do it as a hobby with local county fairs.Its the same as any other livestock, and the money goes towards my breeding stock.

Anyhow, the guy was wrong. And he should have respected your "no meat" policy. I'm sorry you had to deal with such a person.

He sure doesn't sound 89 years old!! My goodness...

He should come check out my "pure whites" with tri's, chins, blacks and blues in their lineage... Look at that bunny the color of a cloud, and tell me it's not pure white.... *rolls eyes* It doesn't matter what color the parents are, if it's white, it's white.

Emily

He contacted me too Turtle. Several times.... As soon as he asked for "Pure Whites", I knew he was looking for whites to breed for meat... Told him, "Sorry, don't have ANYTHING that would be good for you." (I have whites that are bred white to white for 4 generations... but I wouldn't sell to him either.)

And I told him the same thing about breeding white to white. I also told him that since Flemish are not usedby Commercial Breeders as a meat rabbit, they have not been bred, white to white, for many generations, like the Cals or NZ's. Iguess he is worried about using the Flemish with a Cal... if the Flemish carries light gray/steel behind it, the kits may not have the solid (Black) colored "points" they look for.

Sometimes it's just not worth the effort to educate close-minded people like that. You can only offer what you know... you can't force them to accept it.

Sounds like he just didn't understand what a white flemish is.

I have no problem with people buying for that purpose. Sometimes you have to have an outlet for something like that. Did you try directing him to a white newzealand breeder instead?

Normally, I'd try to do that, but once this guy decided that all the Flemish breeders he had talked to were full of it, there really wasn't any talking to him after that, and I wouldn't have felt right about inflicting him on some poor innocent New Zealand breeder!

Latest posts

Back