Genetic color question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaleyk98

Reaction score
So I have a broken blk tort elop doe whoI mated with my smoke pearl point buck.Mamahas blue tort, fawn, black, 1 brkn steel, and 1 frosted pearl in her 3 generation pedigree. Dad has sable point, blue tort, smk pearl, cream, blue, fawn, and blk gold tipped steel in his.

So I checked the litter she gave me and theres 1 blue tort,1 broken blk tort, and 4 sable points and broken sable points! Can someone explain to me in simple terms how this is possible if mama doesnt carry sable point???:?

Here are some pics =)

GEDC0308.jpg

GEDC0309.jpg

GEDC0307.jpg

GEDC0306.jpg

GEDC0305.jpg

GEDC0321.jpg

GEDC0318.jpg

GEDC0314.jpg

GEDC0313.jpg

The Dad carries sable point that is where that comes from and rabbits can throw different colors for more then 3 generations. I had a judge tell me that they can thow different colors for like 30 generations but dont quote me on that part.........Toby

Sable point is the same thing as tort, except for one color gene that changes the tan color to cream white. It is very common for breeders to breed torts and sable points together and get tort and sable point.

what's a smoke pearl point?

Both parents carry recessive non-extension "e" (from the torts) as well as shaded "cchl" (sable, smoke pearl), so sable points in the litter are easily explainable. ;)

Sable points are a combination of genes - so it's not possible that a rabbit "carries" sable point - they need to carry the combination of genes to "make" sable point.

Lines can throw certain colors for as long as they carry the gene - a million years, or one generation. Either they have the gene or they don't (3 or 30 years has nothing to do with anything, except that it can take many years to cull out an undesirable recessive gene from aline). There wasn't a REW gene in my Holland line, so there was no chance of ever producing REW. Some of our Dwarf Hotots have the blue gene. Although we rarely have one pop up, it would not be a surprise. If we removed every rabbit from the herd carrying blue, then there would be no chance of blue being produced.

Back