Generic new bunny questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mink

Reaction score
I know things often get asked about litter training, sorry.

Well, I got Gambit 9 days ago ^_^.

For the first 4-5 days, I had him in a spare bunny cage, probably about 30" long.
He took to the litter pan pretty well - did all his pee in it, and probably like 70% of his poo. It was very exciting. :p

I found someone selling a bigger cage, 46" long for cheap - so I bought that.
Moved him into the new cage 4-5 days ago, was able to get him the giant size igloo and everything. <3 Well, since getting the new cage he has been peeing and pooping all over the cage. He did do some in the litter pan, but its more like 20% in, 80% out.

I have Carefresh in the litter pan, and put some hay on top like recommended.
I don't yet have a hay manger (which I'd like to get soon), his hay is partly in his bowl and he pulls it onto the floor. He did do a fair amount of his business on the hay by his food bowl. >_< On the bottom of his cage, I've laid down one of our 'pet-only' fleece blankets and he has completely stunk up and soaked a blanket each day. I just started a large load of 'bunny laundry' lol! I tried moving his litter box into the corner that he bombed the most, doesn't seem to be working.

My brother moved out, so we turned his room into a den room and placed Gambit's new large cage in there. So he not only got a new cage, but a new room in the house as well. We did set everything up in bunny-proof fashion, and I am working on giving Gambit out-time every day. So far.. he has just familiarized himself with 1 corner of the room and hasn't strayed much from it.

The master plan is.. to have Gambit get out-time every day and plenty of socialization. I would love to have a rabbit that can wander the den room and hop up on the futon for cuddles and hop up to people to say hello. My husband does not want Gambit to have an accident on the futon, so if Gambit masters litter-training I can convince my hubby it will be okay lol.

Gambit does love to cuddle.. you will start with him in your lap and he will gradually scooch his way up until 10 minutes later he has his head under your chin lol! He also grinds his teeth a lot.
I had him out on our queen-sized bed once, and he had a blast -he even did a binky or two. He would climb all over me and did the content, legs-kicked-out flat lay, up against me. He even will lick your hands .. or feet.. lol. But he had an accident on the bed and my hubby was not pleased. :p

Since getting the new, larger cage Gambit has ran from me, stomping a little when I try to take him out. He has been getting better about it - I usually end up practically pinning him down quickly with one hand and scooping him up with the other. But he loves being out, and once he is out I can pick him up with no problems >_<.

I don't know... and tips/tricks/ideas? How could I improve on things, Where do I go from here?

It definitely takes time and a lot of mistakes for them to be 100% litter trained. I just got my rabbit neutered and he is still not perfect with his litter habits. He still likes to go on my bed,unfortunately. :)

If you want him to be able to go on the furniture, I would cover it with a blanket or something you don't mind getting destroyed... :) My x pen has been a lifesaver when it comes to blocking off things I don't want Buster to destroy. :D

I just got rid of Buster's "Pee-Pee Pad" I used to keep next to his litter box just in case he decided he was too lazy to jump in. Since I got Buster I have never done so much laundry! :bunnydance:

I see you live in the Hudson valley, I am in northern Westchester. If you ever wanted to get together for a rabbit play date, message me and let me know! My Buster seems to be lonely for other rabbits and yours is adorable!!

-Andria

Oh, I just got the neatest carrier last week.. I was also wondering about taking Gambit out on the porch for extra-fresh air, Gambit for car rides, perhaps a visit to the local pet store that allow pets to visit? (He would always stay in the carrier). I don't want to upset Gambit with over-stimulation though, he seems to be a pretty laid-back guy! I have already put him in the carrier a few times while cleaning his cage and unable to supervise him. He seems to not mind it. I love this carrier since he can see all around him.

Thanks ^_^

(I live in Dutchess co. I would worry about the bunnies fighting, but could be neat to hang out and chat sometime)

working on an avatar... :p

I'd go back to the smaller cage. He's not ready for the larger one & was confused by it. Put the hay into a tp roll that you've split along the seams, or in a tissue box, or a larger box with a 6" square cut into 1 or more sides. Any one works as well or better than a hay manger.

Latest posts

Back