General Bunny behavior questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houghj3

Reaction score
Hello,

Bunny: Female, 2 years old.

My bunny seems very aloof, I was considering bonding her, but she pays such little attention to me that I am worried about introducing a new companion.

She is never caged and seems very happy being the lone rabbit in the house, I haven't seen any signs of depression. I guess what I am wondering if anyone has buns with similar traits?

Also any suggestions for games I can play with my bun?

Thanks

How long have you had her and is she spayed?

Rabbits all have unique personalities ranging from loving human attention/physical contact all the way to don't touch me! Lol

How much time do you spend with her? Being around her but not forcing pets but kind of ignoring her can help. Also offer treats as a reward for her coming towards you.

Bonding her to a more outgoing rabbit can bring her out of her shell more BUT bonding is a tedious and at times difficult process so it wouldn't be something to casually jump in to. You'd need to make sure you're ready for the challenge.

Maybe describe a little more in detail your bunny and her actions and we could weigh in more.

Hi,

She is not spayed. I have had her for 7 months.

I don't spend a tonne of time with her due to work (single, work midnights).

When I am around she does come around for about 5 minutes of head petting (which she initiates), then seems to get bored and goes off on her on.

Multiple toys, inside rabbit, free reign of my place. It is only the second rabbit I've looked after so just trying to figure out personalities I guess.

Some rabbits are more social than others. Spaying or neutering can help calm aggressive or hormonal behavior, but general temperament is mostly genetics, somewhat environmental.

If she seems skittish, I recommend "mandatory cuddle time." Find her, pick her up, handle her, carry her. Do this often and on a regular schedule, even if she doesn't like it. There is no way for rabbits to get used to handling if you don't do it because none of them naturally beg to be picked up. That is a learned and conditioned thing. :) I handle kits often from Day 1 to ensure that it won't be a concern later in life.

Hand feeding treats is also a good way to help them anticipate your presence.

If she's not skittish and is just a more individual bunny (this is what it sounds like), it's probably just a personality thing. She may enjoy having a bunny friend, but may be just as happy lounging around on her own.

Agreed with everyone else. Sounds like she's just kind of an independent soul. I have one like that and the only "cuddling" she likes is at night just before bed time. She lets me stroke her face and ears for about five minutes then she's done. Watch what she likes to do. Does she like to throw things? Then play "fetch" with her. Roll a ball towards her or lightly toss things at her so she can toss them back. Does she like to dig or play hide and seek? Throwing paper or a light towel over her can be a game. I have one rabbit that LOVES puzzle toys. My third will play with his toys when he's penned up but when he's with us he'd rather be loved on or watch tv while snuggled in your lap. However he hates other rabbits and does just fine without a companion.

Franklin my lover bunny requires several hours of attention a day (he would prefer a lot more than that). Shya my little bad one that five minutes is all she needs from me. She has a bond mate that she tolerates but did just fine as a single rabbit before he came along.

Sometimes as rabbits get older their needs can change.

Spaying may help if her behavior is caused by hormones. Or it may not, if her behavior is just her personality. It's hard to know without actually having the spay done. But if there was a chance a spay would make my rabbit a little bit friendler, then it's something I would go for.

Latest posts

Back