Gender crisis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyC19

Reaction score
Hi guys, a bit of a long story. We have had a female rabbit for the last 6 years called Bonnie. We recently bunny dated her at a rescue and she chose a male Albertthat looked exactly like her so much to the point that we were constantly struggling to tell them apart. Because obviously bunny boy girl bits are difficult sometimes especially since both rabbits are desexed we asked our vet to have a look and to please put a mark on the ear of one of them so we would always know. She said she had markedthe femalesear (Bonnies). She put a black circle in texta on there. I would go over it every week to make sure it never faded. Almost 2 weeks ago one of the Bunnies suffered a convulsion and had to be put to sleep. Because it was the unmarked bunny we were mourning the loss of Albert. But we have since been playing with Bonnie and noticing that she has what looks like a penis. It does look like a slit at the end of it but it seems to protrudequite a lot and it is making me doubt whether it might have in fact been Bonnie that passed away. This would make more sense too because Bon was 6 where as Albie was only 2. What should I do? Will I be an idiot to take him/her to check? I am especially interested because we intend onvisiting the rescue again for a new mate for the bunny left behind.

Hey Jo, I thought you might post about this so I came looking for it. The girl bits sort of stick out though too I think, more than you might think...
here's two links that might help you...

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexinggirls.shtml
(that's girl bits, and you can also see boy bits if you click at the bottom of the page)

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=55835&forum_id=8
this one describes boys being donuts and girls tacos haha

Surely if you take the bunny to the rescue then they will be able to tell you the gender, and therefore which bunny it is. that might be a good way to go if you're still not totally sure.

I'm sure other people on here can help too... I should compare Lopsy and Lulu so I can be more knowledgeable in future haha

Hey crystal you are up late :) Thanks those pics really really helped. Our bun definitely does not look like a donut. I am now feeling a lot more confident that its Bonnie. The part that protrudes out does not look round it is kind of skinny and if you look at it from the side it kind of looks like a little rounded edge triangle. There is definitely no round hole it is definitely a slit. Haha this is a rather graphic late night conversation isn't it. lol

And in answer to the q on your text yes we are planning to get the remaining bun a mate so that is why I was concerned to make sure we had a girl or boy before choosing a suitable mate because we have already been through so much with this saga :)

Just a thought, but would it be possible to get the bun you have now tattooed? It would be a permanent mark in the ear. Breeders and shelters in North America use tattoos to identify rabbits. Most use a letter and number combination, but you could get whatever you want. If there are any breeders near you, you could ask them if they do it. A vet might also be able to do it, but most will only do it when the rabbit is sedated or under anaesthetic.

You could also ask the rescue people to help you sex the bunny you have left. They would have more experience sexing rabbits.

There's probably not much point having him/her tattooed now because there is only one... without the other one to tell it apart from it doesn't matter. it's more that they don't know which bunny they have with them (and which one passed away).

and I reckon the rescue should definitely be able to help. even if you might feel silly asking, but they did look pretty identical! so I think it's totally understandable. and from what you said they were really nice too.

maybe I could meet you at the rescue when you go again. maybe. I'm not sure if I could walk away without a bunny haha but I would be interested to see how they do the bunny dates and everything.

Latest posts

Back