Gastric stasis again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a tall order.

Stasis is almost always a symptom of something else. The stasis doesn't cause them not to eat, its vice-versa. Stasis really just means the gut motion slowing down and sometimes stopping.

So it could be anything that causes the rabbit to stop eating, usually pain and stress -- and stress in the sense of body as well as mental stress, ie: trauma, infection, etc.

Determining the cause is obviously important to the cure.

A rabbit can get gas from 'something they ate', like a bit of rot on a veggie or just a sensitivity to something. They will fail the treat test and often look like h*ll. Sometimes its gone before the guardian even notices, sometimes its needs intervention -- simethicone, tummy rubs, mild exercise -- and can last hours.

But sometimes -- but more rarely -- its from a blockage. The blockage can be from chewing something like a carpet, or just an accumulation of food and hair that isn't moving through the tract. It gets serious when the food in the gut starts to ferment. One symptom is no poops.

ETA: Something like a bunny molting can fall somewhere between. The hair slows the gut down, the bunny is mildly stressed due to the molt, the hair and stress gives them gas or at least the slowing food in the tract gives them gas, and if it slows down enough or stops, its serious.

If my guys have gas symptoms and nothing else obvious -- in other words they have been pooping and peeing normally, maybe they're molting but were active and happy a few hours previously, and they haven't just eaten something toxic or something like plastic or carpet, I give my guys 12 hours after they fail the 'treat test' before I head to the vet.

But any kind of pain can lead to stasis if the bunny stops eating for long enough. And to make it more confusing, stasis also causes gas, so if you have a rabbit with a blockage, infection, virus, trauma, malfunctioning body part or whatever, and that rabbit stops eating and goes into stasis (which is the gut slowing down), gas will be a byproduct.

You're usually pretty safe initially with warmish fluids, warmth, gentle (but long) tummy rubs and a CC or so of simethicone (for a smaller bunny) to help the gas. (Its very safe drug). This is my first treatment.

A bunny with runny poop is not usually a stasis bunny, either. They should also have this treatment, but shouldn't eat anything but fluids and fibre like hay, Critical Care (a high-fiber slurry mix) and maybe canned pumpkin. Its more likely to be a diet issue (when its mild and the bunny is reasonably alert and active) but with lethargy, runny poops it can be a serious ailment requiring immediate vet care

sas

ETA: Molting info

Back