Gassy Bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
My new Cali boy's digestive system is making loud gurgling noises. He's still eating but ismuch less activetonight; I will give him 1-2 doses of Simethicone before I go to bed and see how he feels before I leave for work.

1) Does the 1 cc dose apply to all rabbits, regardless of weight? (My guy is nearly 8 lbs. now; I'm not sure if he should have more than 1 cc per dose.)

2) Should I remove anything from his diet at the moment? I've been slowly converting him to timothy-based pellets over several weeks' time; I started giving him greens recently, starting with parsley and adding in a little Romaine. (He was eating alfalfa-based pellets and tons of various greens at the shelter, so greens aren't entirely new to him; but he's been away from them for a number of weeks'.)

Thanks,

Jenk

angieluv wrote:
The 1 cc is a 'loose" rule since simethicone cannot be absorbed into the body of the rabbit. I would give 1 cc at a time but give it several times tonight

I would just put him on hay and water until his activity level looks normal and his stomach calms down.
I can only give him one more dose before I need to go to bed. (Everything that I've read says that a bunny should improve after two doses; if not, it's a sign that additional help is required.)

Pellets are the main source of his nutrients/calories (besides hay and some veggies). Also, he goes ape (for lack of a better word) for his pellets, especially in themorning. (I fear that he may hurt himself; he bounces/flingsaround the cage like amaniac in anticipation of receiving them.) Hmmm...Well, I can see how a hay-and-water-only diet goes for 2-3 days'.

Once his tummy calms down, can Iresume feeding himhis normal amount of pellets (3/4 C.)right away? Or should I slowly re-introduce them in some fashion?

Also, is it a bad idea to give him another type of hay (for the first time) while he's on a hay-only diet? (He's been eating timothy hay; I have brome and orchard grass in the house.)

I think 1mL isn't enough for an 8lb bunny. of course it depends on what concentration the baby meds you're giving him are, but the dose for a 5lb bunny is 1.5mL i believe. i'd give your guy 2mL.

tonyshuman wrote:
I think 1mL isn't enough for an 8lb bunny. of course it depends on what concentration the baby meds you're giving him are, but the dose for a 5lb bunny is 1.5mL i believe. i'd give your guy 2mL.
For the second dose, I (technically) gave him 2 mL. (I say technically because he fights medication and let some of it dribble out of his mouth. :()

I did (gently) force him to move around a bit after his second dose, and he's been eating/drinking normally since. I'll be sure to check on him in early in the morning (and will wake my hubby to help me administer another dose, if Cali Boy seems to need one).

angieluv wrote:
How's the Cali boy today?
:) Better, so it seems.

Despite what I'd previously written, I stayed up to give him a third Simethiconedose (by myself). I got about half of it on my pants and the floor; so he maybe got another 1 cc (vs. the intended 2 cc's). :?And Ididn't get to bed until 12:45 am. (Seriously, this no-sleep thing must stop;once we lick this mite issue, I intend to sleep again.)

On the plus side,Cali Boy(aka, Snow Beast) seems much more comfy today. He's eating his hay,slurping his waterlike a horse and acting like his playful self. I still hear some tummy gurgles, but nothing compared to what he produced last night.

I think that I'll hold off on giving him anymore Simethicone for now, since being medicated is clearly stressful for him; and also since he's movin' and grovin' at will. :D

if you've got him on hay only and he still is gurgly I'd keep him on that until thegut sounds quiet down
Iwould also reduce his pellets for awhile ( once you decide to restart them)and cut out veggies altogether temporarily (which of course means that you would have to start over with them)

why don't you name himCali boy? I think that sounds cute.:)

angieluv wrote:
if you've got him on hay only and he still is gurgly I'd keep him on that until thegut sounds quiet down
Iwould also reduce his pellets for awhile ( once you decide to restart them)and cut out veggies altogether temporarily (which of course means that you would have to start over with them)
I completely agree with you on the dietary issues. One step forward, two (or three) steps back... :(

I had him on a pellet ratio of 1-part alfalfa and 4-parts timothy for a week's time. (So I was at the finish line in terms of converting him to timothy pellets.) Now I wonder if I should literally take a step back and put him on 2-parts alfalfa pellets and 3-parts timothy pellets. :? Or do I just slowly start feeding him the 1:4 ratio again?

When you suggest that I reduce his pellets, have you an amount in mind? (I'd been feeding him 3/4 C.) Maybe a 1/4 C. daily for seven days' (i.e., after his gut sounds stop entirely)?
why don't you name himCali boy? I think that sounds cute.:)
Mmmm...I still think that it's going to remain a nickname (right up there with Snow Beast). I say to him nightly: "You're such a Snow Beast!" And he always looks at me with those sad-looking pink eyes and then puts his nose to my lips. Guess he's not overly offended by what's become a term of endearment. LOL

Maybe 1/4 cup of 1:4 for a few days(3-4 days)and then if he's OK go up to 1/2 cup for a week ofof 1:4
if you are feeding him oxbow the fiber content is so much higher than an alfalfa pellet maybe with the veggies it was too much...although I don't think that happens often :?

Ihave in the past few years really cut down on greens for my rabbits as they seemed to have a lot of messy poops.I still give greens but about 1/2 the amount I used to and it seems to have improved thing around here.

Inever measured the greens but gave them mixed salads bigger than they were :D
I read your names and if Cali boy is a nickname then I like Tobin because it is not run of the mill.

angieluv wrote:
Maybe 1/4 cup of 1:4 for a few days (3-4 days)and then if he's OK go up to 1/2 cup for a week ofof 1:4. if you are feeding him oxbow the fiber content is so much higher than an alfalfa pellet maybe with the veggies it was too much...although I don't think that happens often :?
I'll keep him on hay today and see how his gut sounds are tomorrow. If they're normal, I'll try 1/4 C. of pellets and listen to his gut daily.

You may be right about the fiber being too much, too soon. (It may not happen often, but it seems to be my luck to have bunners with digestive issues. I'm "blessed" like that. :?)

Ihave in the past few years really cut down on greens for my rabbits as they seemed to have a lot of messy poops.I still give greens but about 1/2 the amount I used to and it seems to have improved thing around here.
My guypooped normallywhile eating veggies, but he may have started building up gas 1.5 weeks' ago (when I started him again on greens). As it is, Zoe's gut can only handle a small amount of greens, and only for a brief period of time before I need to put her back ona hay-only diet for a time.
I read your names and if Cali boy is a nickname then I like Tobin because it is not run of the mill.
Heh-heh...Tobin was initially winning. I like it a lot, but know that we'd begin calling him Toby (which, of course, rhymes with Zoe's nameand may confuse her). ;)

So bunny *cough* Aiden*cough*is 8lbs and youare going to be giving him 1/2 cup in the end? Just wondering. That is what I fed my 16lb flemmie Sam (RIP).

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
How is bunners doing tonight?

At this point, you could check this out this link from our Library that is gooood!:D All about Simethicone.;)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15551&forum_id=10

Last night, I heard very spaced-out gurgles--but mostly normal digestive sounds. :D

I'm considering starting him on pellets (i.e., just pellets, hay and water) again today.

JadeIcing wrote:
So bunny *cough* Aiden*cough*is 8lbs and youare going to be giving him 1/2 cup in the end? Just wondering. That is what I fed my 16lb flemmie Sam (RIP).
He was estimated to be five-months old when I got him; I estimate him to be 7-8 months old now.

When I got him, I was advised to feed him between 3/4-1 C. of pellets due to the fact that he's still growing. (He was 6.25 lbs. when we got him. :shock:)

I realize that he won't be eating even 1/2 C. of pellets as an adult. I'm just not sure if now is the time to cut down his amount of pellets--although it may be....

I knew that you were feeding him a larger amount because of his age but now might be a good time to start cutting back on the pellets permanently. I think that's a good idea.

angieluv wrote:
I knew that you were feeding him a larger amount because of his age but now might be a good time to start cutting back on the pellets permanently. I think that's a good idea.
The hard part is not knowing his exact age. The shelter estimated him to be five months old when we got him (in mid-Sept.), which would make him about 6.5 months old now. But he could've been slightly older, too. (He was found as a stray, so they could only estimate his age based upon his then-lighter coloration and weight.)

If they underestimated his age, though, then he could be between seven and eight months old now. It's impossible to pinpoint, really.

Why don't you feed him1/4 th cup once his gas issues resolve and then go from there
maybe his gas issues will improve on less pellets and then again if he seems hungry or loses weight you could up them a little.I wouldn't worry about his need for food for growth at this point,
just concentrate on his digestive issues

angieluv wrote:
Why don't you feed him1/4 th cup once his gas issues resolve and then go from there
maybe his gas issues will improve on less pellets and then again if he seems hungry or loses weight you could up them a little.I wouldn't worry about his need for food for growth at this point,
just concentrate on his digestive issues

I agree with this.

I will also say that I think you should push more hay, one way or another. I guess you can come back and say that he consumes a ton of hay always! Well, push it more. I do it by giving less pellets. They get hungry enough to eat the hay, then I give more pellets:). Just test it and see what happens!:p

Latest posts

Back