*Gasp!* She killed one!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almi

Reaction score
Emmy killed one of her babies (what are theycalled? kits?) yesterday. They are 2 days old now.Why do you suppose she did this? Is this common for rabbitsto do? Should I worry about the other two? I'mreally scared to clean her cage or anything, for fear she will dosomething drastic again. :(

What do I do? >_<

This is a verycommon thing. Rabbit mothers sometimes kill a baby becausethere was something wrong with it or it wasn't growing well.I am sorry.:(

Ally

Cannibalism has many factors some believe thatit's genetic (no solid proof) she may have felt nervous or scared, likea dog or a close buck thumped too much. She may have not been ready andsome believe that it's a warped desire to protect her young. You canhelp prevent this by moving about her cage slowly, moving all bucksfrom near her cage, keeping dogs, especially ones that bark, far awayfrom her.

Ellie

Ok, I always thought it was a rather commonthing, but from reading threads on here it seemed that it wasn't ascommon as I thought. *shrug*

Anyway, I have been keeping people out of the pet room as best I can,and there hasn't been any loud kids up there (except my nehpew; he's 3years old) whom isn't veryloud andshe doesn't mindhim:

Jake%20With%20Emmy.jpg

And I chewed my dog out for going in there - he knows he's not supposedto and 99% of the time he doesn't without being told not to. :p But anyway, he's quiet, and Emmy is somewhat used to himbeing around. Also, the buck, Blue, is very quiet and I can'teven recall the last time he thumped.

Anyway, there's some rather good news! Last night whilechecking on them I found another one! :D So she's back up tothree. At least it's not so lonely now. It's funny- the night before I was saying to my mom, "I've got a feeling she'shiding more than two in that huge pile of fur." :p I almostwonder if there's evenmore than 3!

Well, thanks very much for the replies; I think she'll be oknow. She has seemed a lot more calm and lessaggressive. She doesn't start growling the minute I get tooclose to her cage anymore. lol ;)

Well congratulations on being a bunny grandma,and remember give that little mommy some extra attention.Pics pics pics.

Almi- it's okay to get into the nest box andcheck over the babies once a day, you REALLY should. There could bedead bunnies in there that will need taken out and you'll be able tosee how many kits, if they're deformed and if they're healthy.

Ellie

hi Almi..in my experience, i started to holdthem using a soft towel, when they were abt 4 days old...now both ofthem, Pinky & Rollyare slight more than 3weeks old...

Do you think she'll mind if I touch them with mybare hands when they are a week old (tomorrow)? I'm soanxious to cuddle these cute little fuzzy things! They're allnew to me! :D

http://tsukiyo.org/Pet/myths2.html

MYTH 8: If you touchbaby rabbits, the mother will kill them. So long as the mother isused to being handled, she will usually have little or no problem withher babies being touched. I handle all the baby bunnies in my barn fromthe day they are born, which bonds them with humans and makes themfriendlier. Also, the breeder needs to look at them all the first dayto make sure they are healthy and to take out any deadbabies.

~Amy

I hope everything is going alright!! I amworried about my bunny... I should not have bred her because she is notvery used to hands and very territorial! But she is due in about 7 daysand I am worried.. She may not even be pregnant, though. I can't waitto see pictures of your babies though. And I think you should startholding them very soon!

JUst be verycarefull and have a good graspon them they movevery fast for suchlittle critters , they can andwill popcorn right out of your hands ,and it all happens very very fast ,its very hard to catch them ,and if they fall and hitthe floor they can breaksomething or even possably die, Just keep it in mind .

Yeah, I noticed they "popcorn" a lot when Iuncover them to check on them. I held one last night - so, socute! It sat there in my cupped hand and just sniffed at melike, "Who are you?" :p

Oh and - Emmy doesn't mind at all. ;)

hi almi!! good to hear that.Just be careful okie....well im preparing to receive new babiesagain..my doe is due to give birth by next weekend. wish me luck !!hey,dont forget yr babies pictures alright, cant wait to seethem..

hi almi!! good to hear that.Just be careful okie....well im preparing to receive new babiesagain..my doe is due to give birth by next weekend. wish me luck !!hey,dont forget yr babiespicturesalright, cant wait to see them..

Latest posts

Back