Gas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahsBunny

Reaction score
Hello! I’m a new bunny owner. I got a 2 month old netherland dwarf bunny three days ago but it has not pooped yet. I’m concerned because I know bunnies poop a lot but I have scavenged his whole bedding and hay for poop but cannot find anything. My mom suggested that it ate all its poop (as funny as it sounds) but I don’t even think that’s possible. I’ve been searching for an affordable vet nearby since I don’t have enough money but all vets don’t seem to check bunnies. I was petting the bunny in the morning and went to pick it up, thats when i felt some type of vibration in its stomach. I thought it was nothing until it happened again when i picked it up the second time. It feels the same way that our stomachs do when gas is moving around. I searched it up and google has scared me more than ever. I quickly ordered some baby gas drops and they’re coming tomorrow just in case. I switched his hay out for alfalfa because I know its good for their gut yesterday. The owner beforehand was feeding it hay and carrots only. Can this be from stress because I took it away from its original place? Is there anything else I can do besides massage its stomach to help? Is this something thats very worrying because I really dont want it to be in pain. So far it drinks a lot of water, eats hay in some portions (im not sure how much because im not home as often), and moves around here and there. It does sleep in a ball position facing a corner but shows no other clear signs of discomfort. The most proof id have is no poop and tummy vibrations. (Im calling the bunny an it because I don’t know if its a boy or girl yet and I can’t even name them :( ) pleeeease someone help or link me to an affordable online vet or vet in nyc queens.

Attachments

• 2C52327F-4A09-4E72-B691-7108A49B1DE3.jpeg
    2C52327F-4A09-4E72-B691-7108A49B1DE3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
If your bunny is eating, moving around and drinking. I would look for small crushed peppercorns droppings, they can be quite small on netherland dwarf when they come to a new home and stressed. So it can be hard to see if you have bedding all over the place.

Because it seem like your bunny is behaving normal and eating. It’s never wrong to have gas drops at home.

If your bunny is eating, moving around and drinking. I would look for small crushed peppercorns droppings, they can be quite small on netherland dwarf when they come to a new home and stressed. So it can be hard to see if you have bedding all over the place.

Because it seem like your bunny is behaving normal and eating. It’s never wrong to have gas drops at home.
So far this is the only dropping I found stuck to its butt. Lets say I assume it has a gas problem and i give it drops, would it affect the bunny even if somehow it doesn’t have gas issues?

Attachments

• EFE9626B-3ACB-4845-B019-BFA4B3E2B689.jpeg
    EFE9626B-3ACB-4845-B019-BFA4B3E2B689.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
So far this is the only dropping I found stuck to its butt. Lets say I assume it has a gas problem and i give it drops, would it affect the bunny even if somehow it doesn’t have gas issues?
That’s the cecotropes poop. It won’t cause a harm to give one dosages but you need to know your bunnies weight before giving. When my bunny have gas he won’t be eating, press the tummy to the floor and after a few hrs he will start to hide. So eating hay is a positive sign for me.

In the picture you can see really small black dots those are poop from my nethie boy. His stomach wasn’t that stable and it took a week until they started to become normal. I didn’t worry as much because he was eating hay but it took time for his stomach to calm down and create larger droppings.

Attachments

• DDCB3309-D23B-461D-8257-62C2AC95BA4B.jpeg
    DDCB3309-D23B-461D-8257-62C2AC95BA4B.jpeg
    963 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for the reassurance Im going to try giving the drops tomorrow just in case. My bunny moves around here and there a lot and then randomly goes back to hide, perch, and sleep a bit. It loves head scratches and almost immediately closes its eyes while getting pet. It also drinks a lot of water. Your bunny has some sign of pooping at least but for me I couldn’t even find one dropping yet besides the one I showed. Maybe its just getting use to the new hay since the old owner didn’t give the same one and fed it carrots too young. I’ll administer the drops tomorrow and have an update hopefully.

Thank you for the reassurance Im going to try giving the drops tomorrow just in case. My bunny moves around here and there a lot and then randomly goes back to hide, perch, and sleep a bit. It loves head scratches and almost immediately closes its eyes while getting pet. It also drinks a lot of water. Your bunny has some sign of pooping at least but for me I couldn’t even find one dropping yet besides the one I showed. Maybe its just getting use to the new hay since the old owner didn’t give the same one and fed it carrots too young. I’ll administer the drops tomorrow and have an update hopefully.
The poop can be hard to spot, the picture are after a few days. They was smaller than that. Just to give you a perspective of how small they can be and hard to notice. I also panicked that my boy didn’t poop until I managed to find small black spots.

But keep an eye on your bun and only let them eat hay for a while. As to help the stomach get back to normal. If your bunny stops eating take them directly to a vet.

Also is your bunny truly 2 months old? I know my boy was tiny but it was because he was bottle fed and a runt with highly sensitive stomach. So he’s now only at 550 grams but my other netherland dwarfs have been larger than him and more in a normal weight range for them. All are pure breed netherland dwarf.

Back