Gas Pains (or so it seems)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
If a bun appears to have a gas episode (lies around a lot, pushes her tummy to the floor), is that an indicator for a dietary change? I ask because...

Last night, my Zoe lounged a lot in her litter box. She ate parsley but didn't show her normal enthusiasm at feeding time. Iknew something was amiss and gave her three Simethicone doses. She seemed more perky 30 minutes' after the first dose.

For at least a week now, I've noticed that the lower left-hand side of her intestional tract feels overly firm. But she's continued passing fecalsfor the last several months' and hasbeen eating some pellets (2 tsp./day) and a pinch of parsley without issue since Dec. '08-Jan. '09. (Yes, she also eats a few hay types but mostly timothy.)

This morning, her intestional area feels less firm; so I'm thinking that gas pressure caused the hard feel to her gut. :( But I don't know if I should back of anything in her diet (even briefly)....This morning, I still fed her pellets because she showed her normal enthusiasm for them and is currently eating hay.

Mind you, she did eat a lot of plastic off of another litter box. But if that were the issue (or even part of it), I'd have thought that her fecal output would be affected. (?)

Thank you,

Jenk

I really wouldn't change anything now. It may not even be food related .

I have also been using a lot of simethicone recently on some of my buns that almost never have issues. I don't think that it is diet related

Some of them are shedding, some of them aren't.
We have been having very odd weather recently; very hot then cool withviolent thunderstorms. Sometimes I have opened the windows (which is not often) and I think they are frightened by street noise. I have had the AC
on and then off.

For all I know a storm at night might have scared a few...
anyway from what you described I wouldn't change her diet.

I have a bun that ate a lot of plastic off the sides of the grid of his litterpan and it had no affect on himadversely

i hope that she continues to have a softer tummy :)

angieluv wrote:
I really wouldn't change anything now. It may not even be food related .
I get jumpy because of the fact that she's had odd fecals nearly the entire time that we've had her. Still, it seems highly unlikely that her diet (which I've improved very slowly over the last 5-6 months') is suddenly causing her problems. As I've said, her intestinal tract has felt unusually firm for at least a week now. But it could be a myriad of things causing it....
I have also been using a lot of simethicone recently on some of my buns that almost never have issues.
An exotics-only vet once told me that having to administer simethicone frequently is the sign of a more serious issue; so I hope tonot have to continue giving it to Zoe, or she'll wind up back at the vet's office (and we're trying our darndest to keep the vet bills down).

We have been having very odd weather recently; very hot then cool withviolent thunderstorms.

We're in the Chicago suburbs; we've been having the exact same weather.
...From what you described I wouldn't change her diet.
When I saw a good quanity/quality of fecals in her box this morning, I went ahead and fed herpellets. I'll probably still give her parsley tonight, too. Still, I feel nervous because her tummy again feels more firm. (It did feel a bit less firm earlier this morning.)

I have a bun that ate a lot of plastic off the sides of the grid of his litterpan and it had no affect on himadversely.
It's been nearly two weeks' since she ate that plastic; I'm hopeful that it's not lodging in her gut.
i hope that she continues to have a softer tummy :)
Me, too. She's had a normal-feeling gut for a good streak of time now; so why it's feeling taut and she's having gas pains, I can't say. :(

Latest posts

Back