Gary is in love...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherber12

Reaction score
Poor Gary is confused. He's always very happy to see Chester. He'll circle him, and binky his little heart out to try and impress him. Poor Chester doesn't understand.

So I've been thinking about getting a girlfriend for Gary. He's not neutered as of yet, but he has had his pre-op exam and he will be neutered before I bring a girl bunny home... But I have tons of concerns.

Gary is a free bun. Over a month ago he decided he was mature enough to live outside his cage. I came downstairs one day and noticed the door to his pen was busted wide open. I looked all around and saw he hadn't pooped anywhere, and nothing had been chewed so he's been a free range bun ever since. He has complete unrestricted access to the 1st floor of the house. His cage and attached pen are still in the living room with his food and litter box inside, but the door hasn't been closed in over a month.

I'm just afraid that bringing a new bunny home might make him neglect his litter habits in favor of marking his territory everywhere. I'm extremely fortunate to have an unneutered bunny who doesn't spray and who uses his litter box religiously. So I don't know how that will work with a new bunny.

Also, I know that I never want to confine him again, because he really does take his responsibilities seriously, LOL. But what if he's bonded to the new bunny, but the new bunny chews the carpet... or the wires.. or poops everywhere. I don't want one bunny caged while Gary roams free, nor do I want to cage both buns. Gary really enjoys being out all the time.

I've been looking for a girl bunny for a while now anyway, but we don't seem to have any. I live in northwestern Ontario, and the only buns I see are in pet stores. The last time I checked our humane society only had 1 large white 'meat rabbit'. I've looked in the classifieds and online at petfinder and there is nothing anywhere near me.

I got Gary from a petstore, but he came with a pedigree from a local breeder. I was trying to call them to see if they might any adult females but I've had trouble getting updated info for them. I just don't understand how the petstores around here sell hundreds of bunnies a year and none of them end up in shelters. There is no way all those people are taking care of their bunnies still.

I don't have anything against buying a bunny from a pet store if that's the only source I have, but I wanted to get an adult bunny because I didn't want to wait for one to grow up, LOL. Plus I wanted another mini lop so I'd have a matching set.

I suppose I'll keep looking..

Anyway, here are pictures of Gary and his current lover:

buns1.jpg

buns3.jpg

buns5.jpg

Aw I Love the pics! There sooo cute. As for your question...

I dont keep any indoor rabbits ( as of yet ), but I keep two outdoor. I brought home a male for my female last week. I started to notice that a very clean, litter trained female started to become very messy, leaving mounds of poops all over her run, which my male uses aswell.

I dont think its anything that can be prevented, it is garys home and he'll spray and poo to show that to the female. But I think over time Gary will lern to accept that there is another rabbit in histerritory and stop.

Latest posts

Back