garter snakes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
My bunny lives outside, but in an enclosed shed. Part of the shed has a dirt floor, which my bun really likes because he will dig a hole, and lay in it. It is very cool on the floor, which makes me worry less about the heat. Somehow a snake has wormed it's way into the shed, and is living in my bales of hay. I'm afraid to let my bunny out of his cage in fear of the snake biting him. Will a small garter snake harm my bunny? What if my bunny got bit?

I'm keeping him in his cage for now, but it is VERY humid today so I'm worried. I am taking procedures to keep him cool in his cage though. I will be constructing a higher platform form for my hay to sit on so a snake can not get in, but this will take some time. I also will try to remove the snake, but now I'm concerned about another coming into the cage.

I don't blame you for being concerned. I don't know the risk of the rabbit being bit but even having to care for a bite wound would not be fun. Can the snake get into the rabbits cage or only get to the rabbit if you let him out? I hope someone with more knowledge can answer your question.

No the snake cannot get into the actual cage. I ended up moving all the hay right away, just cause I worry so much. I have not seen the snake since, and I have been checking A LOT! Hopefully, the snake doesn't come back now that his home is gone... It is a large area so I feel that my bunny could run away/jump into his cage...

That is good. I hope the snake stays away too. That is good that it can't get in your rabbits cage, but I am sure your rabbit misses coming out.

I posted a thread a while back about how to keep mice out of my hay. May be some of the suggestion would help you. Here is the link to the thread http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=58632&forum_id=48

Latest posts

Back