galvanized wire cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
um it should be ok for your rabbit. if you getthat cage are you going to put anything solid for flooring? cuz if yourrabbit is always resting on wire grating, they can get real bad hocksores. even if you put a towel on the grate or a thin board orsomething. besides that the cage should be fine. and i agree withminilops regarding the size. it might be a little too small....

The cage dimensions are 24" X 24" X 30", whichis the same size he's in now and has plenty of room to hop around inand stretch out. Think of that cage as the "base" to whichI'll be putting some type of floor covering over all the floors andramps. I already have some 11" X 15" grass mats coming, butwhat else do people suggest for safe floor covering?

Hmm, personally I think 2ft x 2ft is too smallfor a rabbit to live in, a rabbit should ideallybe able totake 3 to 4 hops from one end of his accommodation to the other. Also Ithink each section is too low for a rabbit to be able to stretch upin.:?

personally, it seems a little small. . .

another thing to consider is the flooring of it, you have a mini rex (iassume, based on your name) and it might be good to consider the factthat mini rex get soar hocks easily. . .

i would compare the price of that cage, to makeing a cage out of NIC pannels. . .

another good point is that it is only 30 inches high. . .that meansthat both levels are only 15 inches high. . .a good rule of thumb forthe hight of a cage is that the rabbit should be able to do the bearstand (when they sit up and strech up, leaving only their back feet onthe ground) as high as they can go and not run out of room as an adult.. .

the rabbit that they have in the photo is a baby lop. . .so it isn'tvery big, add to that the photo is on an angle which means you don'tget a good idea of how even a small, young rabbit fits in it. . .

i personally would keep looking, and think about the NIC pannels. . .

thats just my opinion

Oh, it looks much bigger than that in thepicture! I wouldn't personally keep a rabbit in anything smaller than 5foot by 3 - even that is smaller than what mine have.

Thank you to everyone for yourcomments. I decided to take your advice and build my own NICcage and am SOOOO glad I did. I built a 28"W X 42"L X 56"Hand my rabbit, Lenny, couldn't be happier. He has someshelves, and a ramp leading up to another level with plenty of headroom to stand up and stretch out. It took some time andeffort but well worth it!! :thanks:

very nice. . .

i bet your bun is thrilled!

He is extremely thrilled! I put afleece on the top level for him to lay on since it looks like a lot ofother people in this forum have them in their cages. So farhe likes to lay on it and hasn't tried to chew it. During theconstruction phase of his cage I couldn't keep one of my cats out ofthe cage so I built him his own little cage with the extra grids tosatisfy his weird cage fetish...hehe.

my cat has a fetish with the rabbits cage also.. .he want to be in it all the time and when the door is open for therabbits to run around i will hear thumping from the bunnies room, walkit to see winnie in a complete temper tantrum because diego, my cat,has sprawled himself out in her cage. . .

when i was building it, diego was so in love with him i was ready tolock him up in it for a few hours just to see how much he liked it then!

Mini lops I just wanted to say that people whohave rabbit inside in a bedrom may not be able to do 5 feet. I thinkthat 2 feet is good for rabbit housing. That is what mine has.

Yep, I realise that :), I'm just saying what Iwould do, not what I think you guys should do. And 5 feet, could evenbe height perhaps? If you can't go wide, go tall ;). I am more thinkingof outdoor buns when I think of housing, indoor buns probably get letout a lot more.

Awesome cage by the way!

I think a bun should have as much room aspossible. I think 2 feet is way to small, but if that is what you areable to have, then it's just what you are able to have.

Just my opinion, but I think that anyone can make a nice big NIC cagethat is both wide and maybe tall, if they wanted to. You just need togive up some of YOUR space. My buns have "stolen" my whole 8 foot by 4foot wide closet, and another 8 foot by 6 foot wide space outside ofthe closet. They own half of mine and my fiance's bedroom. You shouldsee the tiny space we are living in just so the buns can have as muchroom as possible *reminds herself to take pictures of our tiny spacewith all of our furniture crammed together for the blog*.

Anyway, it's just about giving up a peice of furniture or squeezing thefurniture together, I did it, even though I thought it would beimpossible! I am still planning on getting a smaller TV stand, so thebuns can have another 2 feet wide of space for theiroutside-of-the-closet space!

Again, this is all just my opinion, trying not to defend anyone:).

- Amy

Sometimes there is no room to give up.

:?My friends apartment is like that. I swear you cant turn with out hitting something. All needed stuff too.

What I advise is as much out time as possible.:bunnydance:

I do realize some people just do not have theroom, but you should always try to make the biggest cage possible, evenif you can move a peice of furniture over 1 more foot.

I'm going to hate moving up to Flagstaff for college in two years. Ryanand I are most likely going to have to get a studio/efficiency typeapartment to live in, everything else is SO expensive.

- Amy

Latest posts

Back