Gaining bladder control after nerve damage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahrat

Reaction score
I've bolded the important parts for TLDR situations, I just have a lot on my mind...

I wrote a bit ago about Hootie having urine scaled. I assumed it was from the fact that he had an amputation of his hind leg back in February after a nasty, mystery break, and he was just adjusting weird to a new peeing stance.

Sadly, we took him to the vet, and she told us he's slipped a disc low in his back. Causing almost complete paralysis of his good leg and urinary incontinence:( She was hopeful that he still had some feeling in his last few toes, albeit very little. He also still has a decent amount of control over the top of the leg, allowing him to scoot around
(another reason we didn't notice right away, these dudes are tricky) . Thankfully she is an amazing vet and gave it to us straight-- it's not hopeful, but he's obviously still fighting, so if we want to fight for him, she would do whatever she could, medically and helping us financially by talking to the owner of the hospital and allowing us to enter a personalized payment plan.
(Side bar: ALWAYS ask for payment assistance. It's sad to see buns go without care because an owner doesn't have money. Most places if you flat out say, "I have no money. I love this animal, and I know it's my responsibility to care for it, and as embarrassing as it is for me to admit I live paycheck to paycheck, my best friend's life cannot end simply because my paycheck doesn't happen for 5 more days," will more often than not help you. I've tried carecredit before, never been approved, but I keep a great repertoire with my vets, as far as being honest and compassionate, and it really pays off.)

I was taught how to express his bladder as to avoid the leaking which caused the urine scaled, and to obviously keep him comfortable. Prescribed Metacam, Baytril, and something for GI stasis. He went through a little bout of not eating but we were on top of that. Hootie has dealt with stasis a few times thanks to his affinity for things he should not eat. We started those immediately, as we could pick them up in their pharmacy.

However, the gabapentin was one we had to order over the phone, and is the one we really need. It's arriving today. It's a strong anti-inflammatory from what I understand, used for nerve damage. Apparently, it's used in humans for nerve damage as well as anxiety. There's extremely limited info on it being used for rabbits, but it being used more frequently as views on pain management for rabbits change.

Long shot, but has anyone had a rabbit that regained bladder control? This is the only issue I feel is stopping his quality of life. He's back to eating, the pain can be managed long-term if needed. I've already decided if he needs a wheel chair, we'll get him one, found an affordable place that does custom bunny chairs for 70 US dollars! But since he can scoot, that might not even be necessary. I'm getting better at relieving his bladder for him, but am also scared to further damage his back since it requires some hind end movement. Has anyone dealt with long term incontinence? I just worry about him being comfortable and living a life worth living, not just hanging around for me.

Back