Fuzz has a scrotal hernia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamsWarren

Reaction score
On Sunday PM, I picked Fuzz (neutered male seniour bun) up and noticed that he had a bump, about the size of a large grape, protruding from his lower abdomen, just slightly north and west of his goodies. On Monday AM, the bump was gone...or at least not visible. This morning, the bump was there, but not quite as large.

I took Fuzz to my vet, who diagnosed him with a scrotal hernia. Right now, it is just fat poking through, but I understand that there is a possibility that the bladder or intestine will poke through. Given his age (12.5-13 yo), we have opted to monitor daily unless surgical intervention is required. My vet has shown me how to check it each day for changes.

I would love to hear from anyone who has or has had a rabbit with a scrotal hernia - did you opt for surgery? How did the rabbit fare, etc. If anyone has any links to information on scrotal hernias in rabbits, please let me know. It is not something that I know much about.

On another, brighter note, Fuzz seems to be doing very well, and not bothered by the hernia at all. :) He has not had to have his molars done in almost 2 months and his appetite has remained very good. I think he has even gained a bit of weight.

We are going on vacation on Saturday for a week...I have made arrangements with my vet to have Fuzz regularly checked throughout the week. Fingers crossed that he continues to do well while we are away. :pray:

I posted this last week in Montana's thread....she died shortly before I heard back from Dana Krempels..who gave me permission to share this if it helped others.

[line]This morning I contacted Dana Krempels about this - she writes many of the articles on websites that we refer people to.

About 10 minutes after I heard Montana had passed - I received her response - and I am posting it here with her permission.
Dear Peg,

It's distressing that the lesion yielded blood. Can the vet tell if it is attached to underlying tissue, or moving freely with the skin? The location of the lump makes me think: possible hernia. If this is the case, the lump you feel could be a loop of intestine, and that would suggest that emergency repair surgery might save the bunny's life (IF it's a hernia, which is a big IF).

If this is a hernia, and the intestine in the loop is being pinched off, it is life threatening, and no time should be wasted. If the section is already necrotic, it might need to be resected, which is a very dicey operation, and the vet will have to determine on the spot whether the bunny can be saved.

This does not sound like a typical abscess or tumor--and I think if the bunny is already inappetant and lethargic, his only chance might be emergency surgery to address the lesion. I hate to say "there are worse ways to die than under anesthesia"--but in a case like this, I think I have to say it.

I cannot examine the bunny in person to really know what to tell you. But the location and the blood inside really make me concerned that this is something very unusual and possibly requiring emergency treatment to save the bunny's life.

I hope this helps.

Dana

In her response to my update, she also stated...
I am so sorry about your terrible loss. I really wonder if this was a hernia, and if your friend has the heart for it, I would strongly suggest a necropsy for her peace of mind. If it really was a hernia that was constricting the GI tract, there may not have been a way to save the bunny.

I am so sorry. Please feel free to share any of the information I sent you with anyone you think might benefit.

Latest posts

Back