furiours about wall street journal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maomaochiu

Reaction score
I just saw this today, i am soooooooooooooooooooooooo pissed!!!!!

FREE PREVIEW

How Do Cats Like Rabbits? Very Much, And Preferably Raw
By Charles Forelle
Word Count: 1,043 | Companies Featured in This Article: Procter & Gamble, Wal-Mart Stores

SPRINGBORO, Pa. -- Even rabbits can't breed fast enough for Tracy Murphy's customers.

At Hare Today, her small farm here, Mrs. Murphy spends seven days a week slaughtering, packing and shipping rabbit. She's buying rabbit herds from neighbors and building an extra shelter to boost capacity to 500 female breeders from 200. Her freezers -- two walk-ins and a bank of industrial units in a converted garage -- are chockablock with whole four-pound rabbits, ground meat in five-pound tubes and sticks of jerky.

"When she started, I thought she was nuts," says her husband, Patrick. "Two years later, I quit ...

here is the whole article:

How Do Cats Like
Rabbits? Very Much,
And Preferably Raw

Pet Food Scare Breeds
New Interest in Furry Fare;
Mice, Grinder and a Tarp
By CHARLES FORELLE
July 30, 2007; Page A1

SPRINGBORO, Pa. -- Even rabbits can't breed fast enough for Tracy Murphy's customers.

At Hare Today, her small farm here, Mrs. Murphy spends seven days a week slaughtering, packing and shipping rabbit. She's buying rabbit herds from neighbors and building an extra shelter to boost capacity to 500 female breeders from 200. Her freezers -- two walk-ins and a bank of industrial units in a converted garage -- are chockablock with whole four-pound rabbits, ground meat in five-pound tubes and sticks of jerky.

[Tracy Murphy]

"When she started, I thought she was nuts," says her husband, Patrick. "Two years later, I quit my job to work for her."

Mrs. Murphy's frozen-bunny concern caters to cat owners -- and business is booming. While rabbit isn't an everyday human dish, at least in the U.S., its lean meat and mild flavor piques the feline palate. Lately, cats are gobbling up rabbits almost as quickly as Hare Today's chest-high grinders can reduce them to a crunchy mince.

A fringe contingent of cat owners has long rejected branded kibble in favor of raw rabbits, chickens, mice and other small animals. But interest has surged this year following the discovery that wheat gluten from a Chinese supplier adulterated with the industrial chemical melamine had made its way into dozens of brands of commercial cat and dog foods. The Food and Drug Administration recorded 17,000 complaints within several weeks of the first announcement in March. Some 4,000 were reports of pet deaths.

"All of a sudden, the idea of making your own food didn't seem so insane," says Anne Jablonski, who works for the federal government and also runs catnutrition.org, an online collection of raw-feeding advice. Ms. Jablonski and other proponents point out that cats, in their natural environment, are carnivores that eat animals raw. So they shouldn't eat bits of meat padded out with grains and cooked in cans or baked into kibble.

By biological design, a cat "is lacking the ability to process those carbs efficiently," says Lisa Pierson, a Los Angeles-area veterinarian who switched her own cats to raw food nearly five years ago. In felines, carbohydrates contribute to obesity, diabetes and related diseases, says Dr. Pierson, who gives nutrition pointers on catinfo.org. "What we are doing to our pets is basically right in step with what humans are doing to themselves in terms of nutrition."

At Hare Today, Mrs. Murphy estimates she's selling about 1,000 pounds of raw rabbit each week. Her sales are up about 20% since the pet-food recall. Wholefoods4Pets, a Washington state rabbitry, charges $6.10 for two pounds of coarsely ground rabbit ("includes head, bones, organ meats," according to its Web site). Its proprietor, Mary Whitney, says she "hasn't even stopped to think" how much more she's selling since March. "I lost customers because I had to put them on hold."

[Rabbits at Hare Today are raised in a converted greenhouse. ]
Rabbits at Hare Today are raised in a converted greenhouse.

Kelley Foust had been feeding his cats Eukanuba from a can for years. Last November, Racer and Bullseye -- previously "the picture of health," he says -- began vomiting. Their kidneys failed. He tried different foods and medication, racking up $2,600 in veterinary bills. In March, Mr. Foust saw the Eukanuba he had been buying on the recall list. "I had been feeding them poisoned food," he says. "It's not an easy thing to go through. I've cried, I've lost sleep."

A spokesman for Procter & Gamble Co., the maker of Eukanuba, says the company is individually addressing customer concerns.

Now, Mr. Foust buys four whole, skinned rabbits each month. Once a week, he defrosts one, chops it into a dozen pieces and puts it into a grinder. One rabbit, mixed with supplements including vitamins and raw organic egg yolk, serves the pair for a week. Mr. Foust's cats are energetic again, he says.

Many vets are wary of raw feeding. The American Veterinary Medical Association urges caution. The FDA says raw diets may be nutritionally incomplete. There's also the risk of transmitting bacteria to humans. In a newsletter, the agency warned owners who use such food: "Don't allow your pet to lick your face right after it has eaten."

Pet-food industry representatives say commercial feed is safe and carefully formulated by veterinary nutritionists. They characterize the recall as an aberration. Duane Ekedahl, president of the Pet Food Institute, an industry trade group, says commercial brands' sales are recovering. Cat- and dog-food sales in the U.S. topped $5.1 billion last year, not including figures from Wal-Mart Stores Inc., according to Information Resources Inc.

Raw feeders tout rabbit as ideal for cats because it's more substantial and cheaper to breed than the archetypal mouse. It's relatively low in fat. More subjectively, they say, cats eat it up.

"The biggest problem is that once people start feeding rabbit, [the cats] don't want anything else," says Sandy Arora, an educator in central Virginia, who runs a cat nutrition forum, Holisticat.com, where about 200 paying subscribers swap recipes and equipment tips.

Raw-feeding owners share a certain dedication to the regimen. Some fill freezers with shipments from companies such as Hare Today and RodentPro.com. Animals, when thawing, may seep. Making the raw food, owners say, requires bleach for sanitizing, as well as fortitude. Dr. Pierson, the veterinarian, says she felt queasy "the first time I sent a rabbit head through the grinder."

Holisticat's Ms. Arora is a vegetarian, but feeds her cats mice, rats, rabbits, Cornish game hen, quail, pheasant and chicken. For Thanksgiving she buys Missy, Pigpen, Trikki and Puma a small heritage-breed turkey from a nearby farmer. She hews larger animals into pieces or grinds them. Smaller creatures go on a tarp on her kitchen floor. Pigpen doesn't care for mouse tails, so Ms. Arora snips them off.

Rabbit is pricey compared with cans, kibble and even other raw meat. Bev Nelson of McKeesport, Pa., stopped using commercial cat foods after the March recall, first borrowing some chicken from a raw-feeding friend. Mitsy, her Siamese-Burmese, initially turned up its nose. Soon, Mitsy and Ms. Nelson's other cats were hooked.

That went double for rabbit. They "went nuts," she says. But at $21 for her two-pound order -- about $3 a pound, plus shipping -- she says she told a pair of her cats, " 'You two had better get a job.' "

Write to Charles Forelle at [email protected]

:shock:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I know rabbits are prey animals and stuff but did he HAVE to be so freakin' descriptive??? Doesn't he know that people have them as pets too???? :shock:OMG I could just imagine the uproar if the story had been about kittens or puppies. Bunnies have the worst lives :(I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ticked off! I really DID NOT like the way that he wrote his article at all :nonono::cry1::cry2

i just sent him an email ( his address is at the bottom of the article), and i think he needs to receive more.

being on a very popular finance newspaper, he is sorta encouraging people to breed rabbits and serve them as cat food since he made it sound asso 'profitable' now.

here is my email to him. i also sent one to [email protected]:as a comment. and Ms. Binky, sorry that i 'stole' some of your wording as i thought it was great.

Dear Mr. Forelle,

I just read your article on “ How Do Cats Like Rabbits? Very Much, And Preferably Raw” on WSJ, and I am deeply disturbed by this. Many people, me included, have rabbits as pets, and they are intelligent, loving, sensitive creatures. I could just imagine the uproar if the story had been about humans eating kittens or puppies, as you may know, some people around the world do eat them and it can be very profitable for those who raise cats and dogs as meats. Totally disgusted by that practice, I am equally offended by your article too. Plus is it really necessary to be so descriptive about the rabbit meat production process???

I know, rabbits by nature, are low on the foot chain, but your article sort of suggests that it is a profitable business now since the demand is higher than the supply. It is going to encourage more slaughter and more inhumane treatments of rabbits, as many of the rabbit farms are doing right now. Shouldn’t we be more socially responsible for what we write in a well-known newspaper even though its mean subject is on money.

Thanks for reading my email.

Thank you for posting this, maomaochiu - I'm going to write to them.

Raising rabbits to feed other "pets" is (I think) a pretty horrible thing to do... But there are many who do it, here in the US.

Dumb a****, f**** people!!!!!! Arrrrgggggggg :banghead

How could they?!?!?!?!?!!? How can people be so crule?

-TK :bigtears:

I read this article about a week ago when it was posted on a rabbit activist list. As bunny lovers it is infuriating to read such things. I know that myself as well as several others on that list had sent emails to the author of the article. We all got responses varying from -- "well, that's just the way it is" to "hmm, good points".

I felt that the author was flippant in his writing and remiss not to have written anything about how the people who love and care for rabbits may feel. I looked at this woman's website -- Hare Today --and of course found it revolting and disturbing.

She even claims to use the "most humane" method of slaughtering her rabbits (which is CO2 in a rubbermaid tub). What a joke -- CO2 is, at the very least, controversial andshown to be traumatic and painful.

All in the name ofa"natural diet" for cats. I think that although at this point she appears to be within the law,the laws need to be changed. And soon.

-Beth

Here's what I sent:

Dear Mr. Forelle and Editor,

I have just been introduced to, what seems to be, your highly controversial article "How do Cats like Rabbits? Very Much and Preferably Raw." From your flippant title to your ending punch line I found your article not only jokingly blunt, but downright disgusting. I have re-read your article trying to see it from the perspective of another person who does not have the inherent love for animals, even those in the prey position, which I do. Even when my mind was at its most open I could not get past your obvious disregard for the forced death of a loving creature. I own a rabbit (or he owns me, there are some grey areas) whom I love with all my heart and I can tell that he, in the very least, enjoys my company if he doesn’t downright adore me. I have come to peace with the fact that many people and other animals eat rabbit meat. Just as many rabbit breeders lose rabbits to wild animals as eat the animals they helped raise. I graciously cope with the constant comments from ignorant companions that have not been blessed with the love of these adorable animals who frankly remind me that they would be very willing to eat my beloved pet on short notice. Or in fact, any notice at all, such as an announcement on a menu. Even with these adaptations to my personal beliefs and my tendency to attempt to see everything from any angle available to me I could not read your article with out being infuriated and affronted at your lack of compassion towards rabbits. I have no problem at all that you wrote an article about people using raw rabbit as a diet for their pets and my heart goes out to all the people who turn to this solution after their pets became ill, or even more-so to those who lost their pets. What I have a problem with is how you went about writing your article. You start with “slaughter” and work your way down to “…cats are gobbling up rabbits almost as fast as grinders…can reduce them to a crunchy mince.” With these and other such delectable phrases peppering your piece, I will admit, you kept me offended and on my toes for the duration. Unless you follow this article up a with similarly graphic piece about the tradition of eating other pet animals (cats, dogs etc.) in other parts of our widely varied world I accuse you of being rude, biased and unwaveringly disregarding to the life and death of any prey animal that happens to grace any table of any predator, including your newspaper, across America and any further nation.

Sincerely slighted,

Katie Driscoll

Anchorage, AK

As far as the flippancy (etc.) of the title and final line, I agree completely, but I seriously doubt that Forelle was responsible for either - those choices/decisions are usually made by editorial staff.

I think the WSJ should at very least publish either an op-ed piece or feature on the other side of this particular coin. (Which is what this article is really about - money.) My thought is that the tone of the article promotes suffering in the name of profit - if there were *anything* to counterbalance that (even just a sentence or two about humane treatment and related subjects), it would be a fairer - and better - article.

Also, as a PA resident, I'm really wondering if there's some way to nail operations like this that are being carried out within this state.... and what legal loopholes these "farmers" are relying on (exploiting?) to stay in business.

lagadvocate wrote:
I read this article about a week ago when it was posted on a rabbit activist list. As bunny lovers it is infuriating to read such things. I know that myself as well as several others on that list had sent emails to the author of the article. We all got responses varying from -- "well, that's just the way it is" to "hmm, good points".

I felt that the author was flippant in his writing and remiss not to have written anything about how the people who love and care for rabbits may feel. I looked at this woman's website -- Hare Today --and of course found it revolting and disturbing.

She even claims to use the "most humane" method of slaughtering her rabbits (which is CO2 in a rubbermaid tub). What a joke -- CO2 is, at the very least, controversial andshown to be traumatic and painful.

All in the name ofa"natural diet" for cats. I think that although at this point she appears to be within the law,the laws need to be changed. And soon.

-Beth

When this thread appeared I googled on Hare Today and also looked atthe site. I showed my husband the article last night. I stared at the faces of the rabbits who were being measured. Doesthis personreally provide hay at the bottom of theRubbermaid CO2 chamber ?? ... if farming and doing this is so much work? The hay comment seemed superficial.

We can only hope there's humane treatment involved, instead of a fast grab to the freezer chamber.

My husband said the WSJ typically reports in detail.

We areconfronting huge corporations and entities that allow our "multi-purpose" sentient,non-vocal,well-lovedbeings to be sold for meat and other purposes. A comment that lingers in my ears is ..."we don't believe they have emotions or feelings."

Like Beth, I feel laws need to be changed. And only when I'm reassured that a rabbit will not be butchered, bled-out whilehe/she is still alive, as the book STORIES RABBITS TELL reported ...

well, let's hope the HARE TODAY(raw) cat-productstockare not dying a painful & cruel death.

Thanks Beth for reporting on the responses you received,

Thanks for writing to them! and i am still waiting for their reply.

I was thinking that maybe WSJ needs to check for that hare today operation and see if the bunnies are treated humanely and i feel that WSJ is almost obligated to do a followup report so that people know that there is another side of the story, it is not all about money, but also humanity.

from some version that i read, they were talking about putting the bunnies in grinders??? i could not find that now. also, they were talking about that the bunnies were slaughtered at about 4-month old??

Back