Furbaby blogging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alee C.

Reaction score
I've loved animals for as long as I could remember. I would beg my parents for a dog, they had had bad experiences with dogs in the past, where my brothers would beg for a dog and then lose interest. But I was different, I knew I would love any dog, and I could never lose interest. My parents were sick of me begging and got some cats from the local spca. Princess and Sox.

Princess, was termed "MY CAT". She is and always was very affectionate. I loved her so much. Unfortunately her and sox were outdoor cats, only coming in the house during cold nights. My parents didn't believe in house cats. A few years ago Princess disappeared, I feared the worse I thought she was dead. I felt nothing but guilt. One day my mom was at the bank where she met a lady who used to rent a house across the road from us.I don't know how it came up but she said she had my cat. My mom asked what she met, and she said when she left she took my cat with her. My mom was astounded, she came home and told me. At first I was relievedm for 1 whole year, 12 months, 365days I thought my cat Princess was dead and to hear she wasn't was like instant relief. But that soon turned to anger, how could these people steal my cat, they claimed she had been going in their house when they lived across from us, and their kids like her so they took her. The worse part, they even knew she was my cat, and they are somehow related to my grnadmother!!!:pssd: Long story short my mom went and got princess back,( I came home from school to see Princess), after not seeing her for a year it was amazing. But princess wasn't her old self, she was scared of everything, and she had a huge scab on her back. I mean if you wanna take my cat thats on thing, but if you take my cat and dont take care of her, that is not cool. For months princess was so scared that she wouuld scratch rex everytime he walked near her. I got a few scratches along the way too. But I worked with Princess and after a few months she slowly returned to her old self:big wink:
DSCF1163-2.jpg

Sox, Princess's sister. Has such a beautiful temperment, she was my brother's cat. About 4 or 5 years ago, an older lady up the road from us was looking for a cat who was spayed. My mom wanted to give Sox the this older lady thinking she would be great company. Now I loved Sox, so much, and hated the idea, not only were we giving away this beautiful cat, but we would be separating her from princess. Unfortunately I had no say in the matter, because she wasn't "MY CAT", of course my brother who was older didn't care about her, sure he petted her now in then, but I was the one who cared for the cats. And guess who it was who held sox on the way to the older lady's house? Me, heck my brother never even came. So it was with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes that I passed Sox over to her new owner. I got up for church the next day, feeling sad and depressed, and when we were leaving for church and I opened the door, who was sitting on the step crying to be fed bu Sox. I couldn't believe my eyes. I grabbed her and refused to let her go, my mom called the lady and told her we would be keeping sox, and it wasn't her choice it was sox's. Sox and Princess are now indoor cats. They love my mom, and as they are older cats around 10 or 11 years old, I have given ownership of both cats to my mom. She loves them so much. I plan on moving out in a couple years once my student loan is paid off, I had to decide on wether if they would come with me or stay with my mom, I decided it would be best for them to stay with her. Mom was happy. I know she'll miss me when i go even though i will be buying a house in our neighbourhood, i know she'll love them. And i am even writing a contract for her, not a legal one but I will make her sign it.;) I just wanna make sure they are taken good care of.
DSCF1047-3.jpg

Sorry guys, I'll keep going with this tomorrow,I'm trying to explain a bit about each of my pets, in order of when I got them, tomorrow I'll tell about Rex, Dakota, Honey, and Hunter!!! Thanx for reading. :inlove:

This is Rex, a Siberian Husky puppy who stole my heart more then 7 years ago, and who has protected and guarded it ever since. Like I said earlier, I always wanted a dog, but my parents had had bad experiences with dogs and they thought I wouldn't take care of it. My oldest brother Ryan who at the time would have been 17 wanted a dog too. I remember one Saturday morning I got up and he was going fishing, and he asked me to tag along, I instantly grew suspicious, what was he up to. My mom thought he was trying to be nice, but I knew there was something else going on. But I agreed to going, him being 17, and me being his 13yr old little sister, we didn't hang out a lot. So we went fishing, Ryan caught nothing and I stayed on the shore the whole time. On the way home we stopped for gas, Ryan pulled out his cellphone and said, "A guy I know, his dog just had puppies, want to go see them?" Now me, of course I said yeah, so he called the guy up, and asked him. He got off the phone and said, "I asked if we could go see the puppies, and he said we couldn't, but we could come take one home." I looked at him and thought this through, if he brought one home, would we both get in trouble, could I handle the pain of my mom making us return the dog. But like they say its better to have loved and lost...So I nodded yes. We went to get the puppy, they were huskies and they were beautiful. I couldn't believe it when Ryan said, "You pick which one." I quickly looked around, and saw a small grey and white puppy chewing on Ryan's shoes,"That one". Ryan picked up the puppy and I had no doubt this was the one, something whispered in my heart this is my dog, mine to protect, and my protection. I shook it off, as this was Ryan's dog, and when Ryan moved out it would go with him. But the words echoed in my heart. The man apologized, "I'm sorry but that one is spoken for." My face fell, and as Ryan looked at the other puppies, I stood brokenhearted, and then for some reason the man changed his mind, "You know what, he would have a better home with you guys I'm sure." I was ecstatic, we went home and to my surprise mom let us keep the puppy, we named Rex. He was the first dog that got to live indoors. Months went by and like the other dogs Ryan lost interest in Rex, I gave Rex as much attention as I could. when Rex was 1 year old, mom told us she was planing to give him away, Rex was rambunctious he wasn't trained, he liked to bark, and he liked to bite, there was a man who owned 4 huskies, and was willing to take him. And although Ryan was ready to give up on him, I wasn't. I begged mom to give him another chance. I assumed responsibility for him, and trained him. All he needed was for someone to care for him, to care about him... And soon he became very close to me, he was smart and learned lots of tricks, he settled down and became the perfect dog. But I needed him to be more then just my dog, and maybe he knew that, maybe that was what he was supposed to be all along.

Nothing is harder then growing up around drugs and alcohol, nothing is harder then having a father that likes to drink and has a really bad temper. And one day something in Rex changed, he went from being my silly husky, to my fierce protector. Rex, ran away to the neighbors, and when he came back my dad wanted to punish him, so he raised his had to hit him, now dad was drinking and I was scared he would break Rex's back, so I stepped in front of Rex and for the first time stood up to my father and told him that I was not gonna let him hit Rex. I took Rex inside and sat down. Dad came in pissed, and started cursing at me, Rex sitting at my side did something he never had before. He stood in front of me hackles raised and growled at dad. After that day Rex had become something more, he was still my dog, and still lovable and silly, but my eyes were opened to the fact that I knew my guardian angel, it was my dog. Most people wouldn't notice it, but I couldn't help but be thankful for the way Rex would stick closer to me when dad was drinking, the way he would come running to my side, when dad would get mad. Ryan moved away and well Rex he stayed with me, always by my side, and from time to time, Ryan will joke that Rex is his dog, but I wonder does Ryan, know the gift he gave me that day, by saying those simple words, "You pick which one." The other day I took Rex and my cat Dakota to the vet to get them micro chipped, the vet must have thought it was weird, micro chipping a 7year old dog but it was the first time since I had rex that I had the money to get it done, and as she inserted that permanent identification that showed that Rex belonged to me, Allison Chiasson forever, those words from over 7 years ago, again echoed in my heart "My dog, mine to protect, and my protection."
good17-1.jpg

I'm warning you now this post is gonna be picture heavy. Let me say, I've never been a really religious person, but I do believe in God. And I believe that he puts people and pets in our life for a reason. I believe he gave me Honey and Hunter, to love. I believe he gave me Rex to protect me and to give me strength to keep going when times get tough, and to show me that there is still some good in the world. And Dakota, well he is very important, because God gave me Dakota, to show me that even after you have been abandoned and your spirit beaten down, and your trust completely gone, its possible to learn to trust again.

I'm the one in the neighborhood, that the neighbors hate, because I am the one who loves to feed all the animals, the birds, the deer, and especially any cats roaming around, I live in the country so there isn't many homeless or feral cats, but the few there are usually tend to stick around. I remember I started seeing a white cat around our house, so I started putting food out for the cat I lovingly called casper, now I never saw casper right up on the step where I would put the food, but every night the food dishes(I wold fill up 2) would be empty. I never got within 30feet of casper he would always ran away. Then one day when I saw casper in the field something else caught my eye, a black cat. Everytime after that when I saw casper I would see this black cat, one night around midnight before I went to bed I saw a cat eating out of the dishes on the step I turned on the outside light, and to my surprise it wasn't casper, it was the black cat. After that night the white cat stopped hanging around, but the black cat remained, always eating both food dishes at night. The first time the black cat let me near him it was out in our back field, I approached slowly with cat treats and cat food, he refused to eat the treats so I would toss him some food, he was so scared of me, but his hunger was too much, I stayed about 5 feet from him talking softly and giving food I could see from where I was he was a male, and not neutered, it was getting dark and I didn't see much more, I didn't go any closer to him afraid of spooking him, it was that night, I named him Dakota. Weeks went by and I continued to feed him, and he continued to eat, I always fed him at the same time and always called him, "Here kitty kitty, c'mon dakota" before putting the food down. Me and mom even made a little house for him for the nights it rained, or when it was cold.
Here's Rex helping us:rollseyes
DSCF1231-1.jpg

And here's the house we made

DSCF1244-1.jpg

I always used to feed dakota around 8pm, but he would wait to come and eat around 11 or 12. After a few weeks he would come earlier and earlier to eat.Soon he felt safe being on our step in the light, as long as I was the only out there with him. This was the first picture of Dakota I ever got,
DSCF1208-1.jpg

It took me months before Dakota would let me near him, or let me pet him. when he would come to eat I would sit on the step with my ipod and sing so he would get used to me voice, I would do this EVERY NIGHT even in the rain. I remember the first time he let me pet him. He was on the step eating and I went out with him. I sat down 10 feet from him, started singing like normal and called him to me. He cried a mournful cry, but came over slowly, he was scared, maybe he thought I would hit him, or push him I don't know, but I knew he wasn't expecting me to pet him, as I stroked his fur, he stood still he did not run. And after that I knew I had gained his trust. After that every time he saw me he came running, and when I called from the step he would come. He even let me flea treat him, deworm him and put a collar on him. But as we grew closer and I saw him more often I started noticing that he had lots of open wounds, and even chips out of his ears, and paws. It was heartbreaking, and I knew he needed veterinary attention, but before I could take him to the vet I needed to get him used to being indoors. Here's a pic of Dakota before he became an indoor cat, and before I got him to the vet. He is very dirty and you can see some of the wounds on his paws.
Photo0040.jpg

It took lots of patience for Dakota to be indoors, I mean I spent nights with our door wide open, so he could come into eat, but leave if he needed to. He soon became more used toe people, but I knew he didn't trust them, I felt he trusted me to protect him. It tooks 6 months from the time I first saw Dakota, to get him to where he needed to be to be an indoor. It then took another 4 months and hundreds of dollars before Dakotas wounds healed. He had infection running through his whole body, to the point where he was getting multiple abscesses because his body was trying to get rid of the infection.
Here's a pic of dakota laying in my shoes, I think my scent made him feel safe. You can see one of the abscesses on his front paw.
DSCF1311-1.jpg

When Dakota first came inside he was afraid of 2 things, loud noises, and my dog Rex. I have never seen a husky or other dog for that matter be so gentle and so tolerant of cats that scratch him because between Dakota, and Princess Rex got lots of scratches, and not once did he ever turn on them, he would just back away and leave them alone. But like people Dakota became used to rex, and soon he would follow Rex everywhere. Here's a pic of Rex and Dakota, Dakota is laying on a little couch that me and mom made for him. Notice the little husky teddy bear behind dakota there.
DSCF1386-1.jpg

Well, you know what they say, "The purity of ones heart can be quickly judged by the way they treat their animals."

Animals are the only ones capable of loving others more then themselves.

When I was 8 years old, 12 years ago. My dad brought home 4 lop eared bunnies. As a family we built a pen for them and they lived outside. Every once and a while they would have baby bunnies, we would usually find good homes for them, but from one litter I got to keep one. It was the runt of the litter, unknown whether or not it would live I took care of it, a little red eyed white baby I named Cadbury. I loved the little bunny. We had the bunnies for about a year until one day my brother went and fed the bunnies and left the pen open, the bunnies got out and were never seen again:(

When I decided to get another bunny. I knew 3 things, first I wanted a female, the bunny would be indoors, and I wanted a lop bunny. So I started my search, but there were no holland lops available in my province at that time. So I put an add on the internet. A wonderful lady and breeder answered the ad, she didn't even live in my province but offered to meet me halfway. I was ecstatic, she brought me a cute white and brown bunny. I named the bunny Honey. Honey was really special because when I looked at her it took away all the guilt and pain from 12 years ago when all our little bunnies escaped and ran away. Honey has the nicest temperament that I have ever seen from any bunny, she loves to be held, and loves to be petted.
DSCF2324-1.jpg

When I finished my Nursing program and applied for a full time job at the local hospital, I automatically knew that I wanted to get a friend for honey so she wouldn't be lonely. And I think Honey was trying to give me hints that she wanted a friend.
DSCF2458.jpg

So I started my search again, and it led me to this beautiful little grey and white bunny named Hunter. Hunter and Honey hit it off right away. Hunter has a beautiful personality just like Honey, he loves to be petted but is still a little skittish it helps that honey is so loving because whenever she comes to be petted he follows, he may run away sometimes when you go to pet him but he always comes back.
DSCF2887.jpg

DSCF2878.jpg

Aww!! I love your bunnies!! They have the nicest coloring and the sweetest faces! :)

The picture of Hunter and Honey eating together made me melt. That is the cutest lop picture ever.

Princess looks very much like my Midnight. Looks just as sweet, too. Midnight is a total purr machine.

I absolutely LOVE black cats, and I love the name midnight. For a long time I though princess was a boy, so at first her name was Panther, when I found out she was a girl, I renamed her Princess.

When I was up last week getting Rex and Dakota microchipped I asked my vet at what age she would be willing to neuter my bunny hunter. She had spayed honey at 6 months. And hunter is only 4 months but he has been spraying and hasn't been using the litterbox much.

She said she would neuter him at 4 months. So yesterday I took hunter up to get him neutered. Now Honey and Hunter live in my room in a giant x-pen, and ever since I moved them there from their smaller cage, which was a dog crate I've been noticing more poops out of the litter box. Its probably because the coroplast is white so its so easy to see mess, there has even been pee puddles almost once a day. Luckily the coroplast is easy to wipe off, I also sweep it out in the morning and in the night. Now I honestly believe that after I had gotten honey spayed she became fully litter trained to the point where she wouldn't even poop outside of the litter box. My mom didn't believe me. So when we were going in the morning I swept the cage out before we left. When we came back with hunter around suppertime the cage was absolutely spotless, no mess.

Hunter came through the operation fine. The first thing he did when he got home was eat! Which was surprising because when honey was spayed, she didn't eat for a while and it had me worried. he was pretty tired yesterday just relaxing, honey smooshed up cuddling and licking him. I tired to give him the metacam this morning, but he wouldn't take it, and i didn't want to force him.

Omg all your animals are beautiful and you have fantastic stories and bonds with them all.

I love your buns. Holland lops are a fave breed of mine,behind lionheads of course :) glad that they bonded well and that the spay and neuter went well too :)

SO I had ordered a new covered litterbox for honey and hunter off of amazon, a pink petmate booda dome. It arrived a couple days ago. Hunter has been doing really good with litter training since getting neutered, I was so happy. Then yesterday I put the new litterbox in. This morning I woke up to find pee on the floor of their xpen and a bunch of poop, so disappointing.

Oh well I'll keep trying.

It will take over a month after neutering for all the hormones to go away, so be patient about the behavior. Some people have said it for worse for their guys before it got better, as though the hormones were trying to hold on as long as they could.

I love all my pets and to say that i spoil them would be 100% true. I love buying them toys and treats, and honey and hunter are no different. So I bought them lots of toys, and they don't play with them, I buy them treats and they don't touch them. But the other day I picked up some timothy hay treats, and they LOVE them. I mean I tried close to evry fruit and vegetable and they wouldn't touch anything so to find a treat they would eat was very exciting. My niece who is a year old was over the other day. She loves the bunnies she will go and stand and watch them. But I can't let her near them because she is too rough, one day she grabbed poor honeys ears and wouldn't let go. But the other day I let her give them a treat and it was so cute, she laughed and honey and hunter were very gentle taking it from her.

Latest posts

Back