Fur not growing back after surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swingtown

Reaction score
About two months ago my bunny, Tank, had to have surgery to repair a torn eyelid from a fight with my other bunny. The vet had to shave half of her face to do the procedure. Most of the fur has grown back just fine, except for this area about the size of a quarter. Right underneath her eye, it all grew back. This spot is about a half an inch underneath her eye.

I am wondering what would cause the fur to grow back in almost all areas except for that one spot. Is it anything to be concerned about?

I don't know the reason why but I wouldn't be concerned about it if it is just a bald spot and doesn't have any inflammation or look irritated
You could ask the vet next time you talk to him...

Hair grows in stages and has periods of rest which is why after shaving hair can grow back in patches. Some take longer than others, depending on the stage of growth the hair was in when it was shaved.
There are some diseases that can cause hair not to regrow after it's been shaved, but in your bunny's case, most of the hair grew back, so this is very unlikely to be the case. I assume the hair that has not regrown will come in shortly, it's likely just in the dormant phase of growth.
A third cause would be scarring, but the surgery was not performed on this area, so I'm sure that's not the case, either.

I personally would be concerned. Check for leaking of eye fluid. It is possible that the tears are not draining properly through the tear duct and as such are getting onto the fur there and irritating the skin so that the fur doesn't grow back.

can I know how much is the surgery? Because my bun is going through same situation, and we are thinking about a surgery for him.

Latest posts

Back