fur mites! (and a severe case of the "heeby-jeebies")

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avabun

Reaction score
Hi all,
We just discovered that my baby has fur mites! ugh!:nerves1
We got her over to the vet for a round of revolution (and now i need to go to the hoomin "vet" to get rid of my "heeby-jeebies")...

She has free-roam of the house, which she shares with my other furry creatures, whom I also purchased revolution as a precautionary $$$$$

I have read about fur mites and how to treat them, but I wondered if anyone here has had this creepy affliction and could share their stories? I specifically am interested to hear how you cleaned your house (and with what) to aide in the prevention of the mites return??

Thanks for sharing!!

(p.s. i get itchy just thinking about this!!)

I know that several of our members have had to deal with mites. I know that Jenk has had to deal with a pretty heavy mite infestation recently.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=46024&forum_id=16

Revolution should do the trick in killing the mites on your bun. I know some members recommend diatomaceous earth for carpets and surroundings.

I would make sure to clean the cage, litter box, all toys and any blankets that come in contact with bunny. If you use bleach, make sure to rinse well and thoroughly dry.

--Dawn

Yuck! Sorry you have to deal with this. Jenk has tried about every treatment out there, like aurora369 said, so she's a good source. Make sure you treat the environment, such as carpet, upholstery, and drapes. There are powders and sprays that work for this, as well as diatomaceous earth. Blankets could probably be cleaned with a hot cycle in the dryer.

thank you everyone.
sorry i sound like such a spaz, but i am freaking out even more.
i noticed that heidi was shedding quite a bit, so i took her outside this morning to give her a nice good brush, and she has three bald patches of fur near her hind quarters/lower midsection!!!!!!
h006.jpg

h009.jpg

here are pics of two of the patches

is this from the mites?? oh my gosh! the revolution and cleaning of my house will make this stop, right?
i am completely horrified.

:cry1:

What does the skin look like on the bald patches? It COULD just be you were a litle over enthusiastic. I've done that and I can remember a couple of threads about that before. Obviously it could be mite related, but it also might not be. Try to be calm about it. Remember you are sorting the problem (if this is caused by it).

her skin looks pink underneath, a touch irritated, but nothing I would consider to look like little "bites". that is good, right?

i was very gentle when i brushed her earlier, so i would hate to think i just pulled her hair out! :shock: oh no!

(i know it isn't urine scald, I have seen that before and it is NOT what heidi has)

Mites generally make it look very dandruffy.

Sometimes you can be gentle but when they moult like troopers sometimes the fur is ready to come out before the new fur has grown. Maybe keep an eye on it and also an eye on how she acts about that area of her body (i.e. itching/chewing may indicate a problem).

I have over-groomed Muffin like that too. It usually shows up in those same spots too. As long as they don't look dandruffy, it's probably just from molting.

Was she tested for a fungal infection? My vet told me that fungus causes circular patches. Keep an eye on the spots, and if they get an irritation or little scabs, then it might be fungus.

It probably is just from grooming, but just something to watch for.

The treatment I used with my buns was very simple. I cut back the fur around the infected area, making sure to uncover all the infected area. I then put iodine on the affected areas once a day until the fur grew back. The will have some orange fur, but that will grow out with time. Just make sure to wear gloves when using iodine, other wise your hands will turn orange too.

--Dawn

The fungus that causes circles is ringworm. It would be rough/bumpy at the edges. The treatment Dawn mentioned sounds really good. Betadine (providone iodine) would probably work too.

My vet told me to use straight iodine, and that betadine would not work. I had to go buy a couple of small bottles from the drugstore, but they where super cheap.

I don't think my guys had ringworm, but it did go away with the iodine. Mine didn't have perfect circles and theirs started at the nape of the neck. Their skin was kind of flaky and they started to get little sores in the middle of the bald spots.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back