Fur loss below the right eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minipudge18

Reaction score
Hi to everyone here at rabbitsonline!

I have 2 dwarf hotot bucks which are actually brothers. We got them at about 8 weeks old and are now 16 weeks old. Both I think have bonded well. We give them rabbit pellets and Hay. We also give them baby carrots as treats about 3x a week.

Anyway, one of them has fur loss below his right eye that we noticed about 2 days ago. It is pink and healthy looking with no crusting or evidence of scratches. He eats well and no noted change in eating habits. I haven't noticed any shedding and he has no other bald spots in his body aside from that.

I'll post a photo as soon as I can figure out how to attach them here.

We are worried about this as we don't want to lose a rabbit... Thanks in advance!

Seph

Update: here is the photo

DSC02198.jpg
[/img]
minipudge18

minipudge18

your buns are reaching puberty so if they aren't desexed, they could be fighting and you just arent realising it?

or perhaps one is overgrooming the other?

Thanks! I'm suspecting overgrooming from the other but I'm still worried it might be something else. There is no evidence of fighting like scratch marks and all.

Here is a photo of it:

DSC02198.jpg

they always get along when their babies,,,,but ur now at the age that they will prob fight.....looks like a bite to me.especially since there is a bit of hair still left in the middle..its the perfect shape for a bunny bite.

Thank to your replies! I'm worried it might be a tear duct blockage or fur mites. I noticed the other one kept licking the fur loss.

Teeth problems are a common cause of runny eyes - I would look at the teeth to rule that out first.

I'm more worried now.. The fur loss started to extend lower so it is much bigger than the photo posted and the other eye started to have the same balding pattern.. On one note, he is starting to shed. Is it overgrooming? or a tooth/teeth problem? There is no change in feeding or bathroom practices noted on the rabbit.. I just noticed the other buck, keeps grooming him..

Please help...

Thanks...:cry2

I do hope so.. I'm still quite glad because Pepper(the one with the fur loss) is still doing his regular daily routine.. Can't wait for what the Vet will say tomorrow.

Got them both checked by the vet today.. According to the vet, Pepper seems to be molting and the fur loss is probably due to the overgrooming.. We might as well separate the 2 for now. He said the skin with the fur loss is healthy. If the fur loss gets worse, I have to go back for skin scrape test for mange and will undergo sedation to check the molars too.

Latest posts

Back