Fur Lice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluepez

Reaction score
So I treated one of my young bucks for fur lice with Revolution 2weeks ago. I can still see nits..I dont see anything crawling..but I see white flakes and nits.

His fur you can see has been munched on his sides and some on his head..but its not to the skin..hasnt improved or hasnt gotten worse. I understand that the lice have cycles..

Should I treat again with revolution..or wait the full month to treat again? If the nits hatch will they die from the first dose 2weeks ago?

Im posting here to see what others have done..and I will see what a vet says on thurs or fri if they are there too.

Thanks

I thought Revolution was dangerous to rabbits and that a different type of flea medicine should be used?

It sounds like they are fur mites, and I know there is some type of powder that I use to treat it, but I can't remember the name of it. I will have to ask my 4-H leader. ;)

Emily

Revolution is the best one to use. It is one of the other ones that is dangerous. My vet just gave me Revolution to treat Baxter's skin mites.

I would wait until one month to retreat if needed.

I'm not sure if Revolution kills eggs as well as adults.

-Dawn

Keeping him isolated away from the rest of your herd is definitely a good idea.

My vet gave me three months of Revolution, but I'm not sure if I need to use all three or not. I'm going to see how Baxter is closer to 30 days.

-Dawn

FYI -- You can also treat fur lice without going to the vet to get Revolution, with Ivermectin from Tractor Supply. Due to the life cycle of the lice, you do the retreatment after ten days with Ivermectin. I'm actually surprised that the vets now use Revolution. Previously, my vet treated it with Ivermectin (before I realized I could get Ivermectin without seeing him from Tractor Supply).

Since you have already dosed with Revolution, make sure you wait 30 days from the day you dosed your rabbit with it to make sure you don't OD. I am not sure how the two drugs interact, and you want to make sure the Revolution is safely out of her system before using another if you choose.

-Dawn

Latest posts

Back