Fur-in-poop (general question)...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Is it common for a bun who is not shedding to still pass visible fur in his fecals (on a fairly regular basis)?

Thank you,

Jenk

A bit of fur, maybe, but not big lumps/chunks. He could also be picking up fur from grooming other bunnies or off the floor. I'll see bits of fur--mostly because I sometimes use the poo as fertilizer which breaks down the structure of the poo and lets you see the fur.

Jenk wrote:
Is it common for a bun who is not shedding to still pass visible fur in his fecals (on a fairly regular basis)?

Thank you,

Jenk
rabbits are consumate chewers and groomers,,ingestion is less when not molting,,,therefore a string of pearls can happen,--serve more timothy/orchard grasses--and water-daily--sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance:

I have seen the fur present over a month after the last shed, I think sometimes it takes a very long time for it to pass through the system. I don't think that it means there is a health issue although rabbits that do not pass hair in their stool at all even during sheds may have a problem.

dquesnel wrote:
...I think sometimes it takes a very long time for it to pass through the system. I don't think that it means there is a health issue although rabbits that do not pass hair in their stool at all even during sheds may have a problem.

Yes, that would be a problem. :shock::D

I'm starting to wonder if all of his particular issues are dietary related. The problem is, I don't know what other pellets to feed him. (He gets Oxbow BB/T.) And my hubby and I don't know what other hay to feed him. (He gets 1st-cut timothy, which seems to make his gut sounds loud. But so did Oxbow's softer-cut timothy.)

Jenk

Jenk wrote:
dquesnel wrote:
...I think sometimes it takes a very long time for it to pass through the system. I don't think that it means there is a health issue although rabbits that do not pass hair in their stool at all even during sheds may have a problem.

Yes, that would be a problem. :shock::D

I'm starting to wonder if all of his particular issues are dietary related. The problem is, I don't know what other pellets to feed him. (He gets Oxbow BB/T.) And my hubby and I don't know what other hay to feed him. (He gets 1st-cut timothy, which seems to make his gut sounds loud. But so did Oxbow's softer-cut timothy.)

Jenk
with the proper diet-(70%)-timothy/orchard grass(daily),,some quality-lowfat pellets,and a treat.ie,dandylion,clover,grasses...the teeth and digestive tract will operate at peak speed and anything in must go all the way through-daily-,,because rabbits are consumate groomers and chewers grasses are a must,,fruit tree branches/twigs from the safe list-(medirabbit.com)-will keep both teeth and gitract happy for years.//.keep some oxbow critical care on hand for gitract upsets//the probotics provide necessary micro-organisms.....use a stethascope to monitor gitract issues,,,an occassional exam doesn,t hurt either....sincerely jasmes waller:happyrabbit::apollo::energizerbunny::party:

Latest posts

Back