fur care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on breed. My short hairs I'll just run my hands through really fast. The hair makes me itch and thus I'm really not a fan of sitting there brushing them out. I just wnat it out FAST. and so that's what I do.

And my boyfrien is a mechanic and has an air compressor with a tool that is similar to a blower used on the angoras. I use it on my fuzzy lops, and on some of the short hairs just to get that hair and dander blown out FAST.

I just use a brush or my hands. Sometimes just spray them with a spraybottle or whatever and run my hand over their fur and it sticks to your hands.
I think I'm going togeta furminator at some point, just because they work soo soo well.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
I just use a brush or my hands. Sometimes just spray them with a spraybottle or whatever and run my hand over their fur and it sticks to your hands.
I think I'm going togeta furminator at some point, just because they work soo soo well.

This is what I do (the spraybottle/water) and it really makes their fur so soft and shiny! I do this with my Tans, a short hair breed.

A blower is used to open up the coat of the wooled breeds. There are several things that can work as one. Some use dog grooming dryers, but these are expensive. Shop Vacs with a blower port are good and not too expensive. Hair dryers don't work to really open the coat, but can fluff it up right before a show if needed.
With the wooled breeds, you don't really want to brush out the coat and you end up taking out the wool. A blower opens up the coat to keep it from getting matted as well as blowing out the dander and other stuff that might get in it. Blowing greatly reduces the amount of wool that is lost during regular grooming. There is a technique to it in order to open the coat and not cause matts, you want to have the air blowing at a bit of a distance from the rabbit so it spreads out the wool, if you get too close the wool will close in on itself.

I have been using the damp hands method but It's not very enjoyable .... so I bought this brush from Bunny Bunch Boutique. I've seen this brush on BinkyBunny.com too... -
comb%20up%20close.JPG

" Great Grooming Comb with Rubber "

Yup, that's a hairbuster. It works well, but I think it tugs on their fur. With their delicate skin I think I would be careful with it.

I managed to find a cat furminator at petsmart which was an opened item (20% off) and got another 10% off for student discount or something. Ended up paying like $20 for it. Score.

Q-tip also likes the lint roller. She's a mini-Rex, and tends to shed a lot, and isn't a huge fan of brushing, but for some reason, she absolutely loves being lint rolled. I have no idea why. I was using it on my shirt once and she kept trying to get in the way of it, so I brushed her with it, and now she comes and tries to grab it off my windowsill every day when I get home from work.

We have a mini rex and we use unscented baby wipes. It cleans her fur, catches the loose hair, and does not get her fur to wet. Hope that helps

I've been just petting my rabbits to get the hair out...if they're shedding much I dampen my hands first. :) I am also going to start using my hand-blower on them (it's a dog one, it doesn't heat the air it just moves it) to get rid of dander and loose hair.

I'd be careful of using a Furminator on a bunny...just an FYI, the Furm will pull hair out even when there isn't any loose hair left, and then it can brush-burn your bun. I was trained to always stop after three to five brush strokes with the Furm and do a "pinch test," where you gently run your fingers over a bit of hair. If hair comes out, then more brush strokes. If none comes out in your hand, stop. :) Also be careful of sensitive or bony areas...if you've ever accidentally raked a Furm brush over your hand or arm, you'll know why. ;)

Latest posts

Back