Fur Balls???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kezza

Reaction score
hi im new here,

podge is 1 yr old, and a Lionhead bunny sohis fur gets really long,

I think he may have fur balls as he is only passing small dried balls or stringy bits?

not had him very long so some advice would be much appreciated, anyadvice of how i could try & clear them? as i have only ever hadshort haired bunnys in the past this is a new thing for me!!

thanks for reading this look forward to hearing from you soon.:)

Get some canned pumpkin into him ASAP. Also, ifyou have Nutri-Cal, give him some of that as well. Keep him eating anddrinking, especially his hay.

thanks for your advice

this nutri - cal is that available in pet shops or from the vets?

sorry but i have never heard of it over here!;)

Greetings kezza!

I would recommend giving him some Nutri-cal. About an inch daily.

Fresh pineapple or fresh pineapple juice is said to aide in breaking up hairballs.

Make sure he has unlimited timothy hay...it's known as "nature's scrub brush".

Keep a close eye on his eating and drinking as well as the flip side ofpooping and peeing. If conditions worsen I would get to the vet.

~Jim

Nutrical is a nutrition supplement that is madefor cats and dogs. I bought mine at Petsmart. Youcan find it at a lot of different pet stores.

Make sure he has lots of fresh hay. Pumpkin has a lot offiber and will help too. You may want to clean his litterboxmore often so you can make sure he is pooping. If he doesn'tpoop for longer than normal, or if his condition seems to be gettingworse, take him to a rabbit-savvy vet. If he doesn't poop for12 hours, it's an emergency.

It would probably be a good idea to groom him more, too, so there's no new hair contributing to the problem.

I hope he feels better soon!

Thanks, Podge is a house rabbit so he alwaysgoes in his tray which he is good at doing! I groom him everyday as heis moulting a lot at the moment, will try & get hold of somenutri cal tomorrow & some pumkin and see if that helps at all.

thanks again kerry x

Hi, my advice is a bit different to other - ifPodges poo's are small it probably is the fur, I know a lot of peoplein the UK with Angora or lion head bunnies and they give their bunskittymalt. Its for cats and helps them get rid of the fur the ingest.I've tried it with one of my buns and it did seem to work - you can getit from the pet shop, I was advised to try to get the natural flavouredone (I couldn't find it and got malt flavoured) and then started givingit to Charlie once a day - just a pea sized blob. I had to hide it intreats cos he hated the taste of it. (Typically the bun who didn't needit would lick it out of the tube). i did once a day for about 4 daysthen once every other day and just monitored his poo, and then stoppedit. Some people with long haired buns give them kittymalt once a weeknormally, then increase it during molting.

The other thing people in the UK tend to use is pineapple, I'm not sreif it does the same as pumpkin but we don't really have canned pumpkinhere. Pineapple is supposed to help break the fur down and repair thelining of the stomach and intestine. I tend to give my two pieces offresh pineapple to eat (just small cubes at a time tho as its fruit sonaturally has sugar in which buns shoudln't have too much of) or freshpineapple juice (make sure you buy the unsweetened one) which you cansyringe into Podges mouth if he won't drink it.

I hope this helps, its definitely worth persevering with helping youbun through this as it could be a prelude to stasis in the future.

Bev x

Thanx bev!

will try kitty malt today!! and pineapple juice! and hopefully we will get podge sorted soon

kerry x

Bunbun wrote:
....a lot of people in the UK with Angora or lionhead bunnies and they give their buns kittymalt. Its for cats and helpsthem get rid of the fur the ingest. I've tried it with one of my bunsand it did seem to work - you can get it from the pet shop, I wasadvised to try to get the natural flavoured one (I couldn't find it andgot malt flavoured) and then started giving it to Charlie once a day -just a pea sized blob. I had to hide it in treats cos he hated thetaste of it. (Typically the bun who didn't need it would lick it out ofthe tube). i did once a day for about 4 days then once every other dayand just monitored his poo, and then stopped it. Some people with longhaired buns give them kittymalt once a week normally, then increase itduring molting.
The other thing people in the UK tend touse is pineapple, I'm not sr eif it does the same as pumpkin but wedon't really have canned pumpkinhere...........

Thanks on several points, Bev ;)

I missed that kezza is from the UK:foreheadsmack:......that makes adifference when recommending products for sure. Sorry 'bout that,kezza. :D

Like Nutri-cal for instance. It is a dietary supplement that is usedfor animals that go off their feed and need the extra boost to theirsystems. It has similar ingredients as Laxatone. Laxatone is a commonhairball treatment. Some people have also used Petromalt, which issimilar to Kittymalt.

You can apply it to the inside of his front paws if he gives you a hardtime about it. Just make sure to smear it in so he can't flick itoff.;)

Make sure you check the flavor on all products. Last time I almost camehome with tuna flavor Laxatone for my bunnies :shock:...... it alsocomes in malt flavor.

Make sure the pineapple juice is "fresh". Pineapple that has beenprocessed does not have the same benefits. I just squeeze the juice outof a piece of fresh pineapple.I get it at the salad bar so Idon't have to but too much at a time.

Canned pumpkin is a very seasonal product in the UK. If you ever seeany, be sure to buy a few cans. I think there was a thread thatmentioned some of the stores that carried it in the UK. I'll see if Ican find it.

Papaya is another thing you can give him. It comes in a tablet form andcan be purchased in most pet supply stores. I give my bunsdried/unsweetened papaya as an occasional treat, especially if they'rein heavy shed/molt.

How's he doing today......oh, and what's his name?

~Jim

Welcome aboard,Kezza

Definitely have to keep your little onehydrated.Dehydration is fatal withrabbits. You may have to syringe feed some of theitems. (You can hold the rabbit like a baby on it's back, andput the syringe just behind the front teeth and syringe feed thatway. Go slowly! You don't want whatever your givingto get into the lungs by going too fast.) I've had luck withthe following recipe for treatingGIStasis.

Tetracycline: I givea pinch with cannedpumpkin or NutriCal (An antiobiotic usually found in feedstores).

NutriCal: 1/2 to aninch every 4 hours (Bevgave you the equivalent to this in the UK, and others have explainedit.) In addition to it having laxatone in it, it will helpboost their immune system, provides them with the nutrients andvitamins necessary when they go off their feed.) With arabbit the size of a lionhead, I'd only give 1/2 inch.

Papaya Tablets: 1 per day - sugarless tablets. A meat tenderizer will help too.

Fresh Pineapple: A small syringeful every 4hours. The enzymes supposedly help break down the mucus thatholds the fur together.

Simethicone: The little dropper full - in the tinycontainer - maybe 1/2 tsp. Exact dosing isn'tcritical. (This is an infant gas medication that can bepurchased in the USA in pharmacies. You'll see "Simethicone"in the ingredients.)

Canned Pumpkin: every 4 hours as much as she'll take. A great source of high fiber and low sugar.

Pedialyte or Gatorade: Helps to restoreelectrolytes lost when going through Stasis.Alittle bit every hour in severe cases or stools are verysmall and dark.

Hay: As stated, it will help scrape the intestines clean.

Our UK friends can help transcribe the items above if under a differentname or not sold in the UK. Don't be afraid to ask.

Keep us posted on your little one. I'll say a prayer for her.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Thanks for all for your advice it is muchappreciated, just got in got some kitty malt so am giving that a whirl& the pineapple juice too!!

Jim- his name is Podge - he isnt too bad today but im sure he will feel loads better once we get these furballs sorted.

Thanks again all

kerry x:D

The more fiber you get into the little guy, thebetter. It'll help clear him out. Keep him brushed,and do consider the other things mentioned, particularlythesimethicone and tetracycline. Don't necessarily need thepapaya if you're doing the pineapple. Please Do Keep HimHydrated!

Let us know how it goes.

:clover:

-Carolyn

:shock:gosh that kitty malt stinks!!he wasnt tookeen on it so i put it on his paws like one of you suggetsted!! andgave him some pineapple juice and groomed him - malting is worse todaythan it has been!!

So now podge is sulking under the table thumping his hind legs on thefloor!! I have a feeling im in someones bad books right now!!;)

he always comes round though usually wen he wants acuddle!!:)he will follow me round the house and tug at myjeans!! just like one of the kids!!!!!;)

will keep you all posted

kerry x

hi all, just a qiuck update on podge...........

well today he is loads better even ventured in to the garden for the first time since we have had him!!

thanks for the tip about the kitty malt that worked a treat think i will keep using it while he is in a big malt!!

thanks again all kerry x:D

kezza wrote:
hi all, just a qiuck update on podge...........

well today he is loads better even ventured in to the garden for the first time since we have had him!!

thanks for the tip about the kitty malt that worked a treat think i will keep using it while he is in a big malt!!

thanks again all kerry x:D

Thats excellent news. Much love to Podge. Bx

Latest posts

Back