Frustrated with Oxbow!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
momto1 wrote:
how much a day do the flemish eat?

I think I will try the sweet meadow hay when this oxbow runs out, but we'll probably order soon.

How long is the hay good for? My bags usually go pretty quickly here though but I buy a bag at a time.

Right now the flemish are at 4 1/2 - 5 months which means they are in the "free-feeding" stage. Whenever I go by their cage - if the food bowl is empty - I toss in a bit more (or some hay).

I'm guessing they're eating between 1 1/2 cups and 2 cups per day with a bit of calf manna on top of that. Some days it is more - some days it is less.

However - it is critical at this age that they get as much as they need/want because they are growing fairly fast and their bones are developing, etc.

If I remember right - when Tiny was about 14 months old - he settled down in the amount he needed and it became more reasonable. (Then again - for a flemish he was tiny).

With all that said - it really doesn't bother me to feed them that much - they are worth it. And truth be told - I could be wrong - it could be a bit less than that....I haven't exactly been measuring.

I'm trying to get them to eat more hay - they like it - but they don't "LOVE" it. I'm thinking if I cut back a bit on their pellets and have more hay in there - that might help them too...but still yet.

Something to point out though is that like many bunnies that live in a rabbitry - they get between 2 and 8 hours of exercise per day...so they do burn up a bunch of energy doing binkies and hopping around and stuff....

I did a little price comparison for myself...

Oxbow BBT: $63 with shipping.
American Pet Diner: $68 with shipping.
Sweet Meadows Timothy: $68 with shipping.
Sweet Meadows Timothy/Alfalfa (might be good for Brody and his weight issues?!): $65 with shipping.

So the prices pretty much fall around the same amount. I would like to keep with Oxbow because if I happen to run out...I can (even though I wouldn't want to..5lbs for $13) run to PetSmart for some of it. Where as with the others...if I run out...I run out! But SM is something that I have always wanted to try! I wonder if I would get a dusty 50lbs bag, like Oxbow, though?

I agree, being able to get a bag at the store is the nice thing about Oxbow. It's what kept me from ordering the APD for a long time.

BethM wrote:
I agree, being able to get a bag at the store is the nice thing about Oxbow. It's what kept me from ordering the APD for a long time.
Yeah, but I think I might just try the Sweet Meadows. I suppose I can order it soon, then mix the Oxbow & SM. To be honest, the ingredients of the two seem so similar...that I don't think it would cause issues to have to Oxbow for a few days if I was waiting for another bag of SM to be delivered.

I just wonder if Brody would benefit from the alfalfa/timothy pellets?

undergunfire wrote:
I just wonder if Brody would benefit from the alfalfa/timothy pellets?
I'm far from an expert in this area, but it is possible. My Holland Lop is also very skinny. He was getting a bit chubby, until the last time he had stasis, and just never really put the weight back on. He seems to eat a lot, and will chase Amelia away from the food until he's had his fill. But he also runs and plays a lot.
Tonight, I started giving Nick a little pinch of oats after his bedtime treat.

Possible but with the cecal issue it may cause more issues.

JadeIcing wrote:
Really? Darn! I will stick with all timothy, then.

undergunfire wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Really? Darn! I will stick with all timothy, then.

Yea could be too rich. Have you tried adding oats 2-3 times a week?

I pay $5.75 for a 10 lb bag which lasts a long time, almost too long, to the point I have to throw some away.

momto1 wrote:
I pay $5.75 for a 10 lb bag which lasts a long time, almost too long, to the point I have to throw some away.
Almost $6 for Oxbow or Sweet Meadows? That is a good deal, either way!

ETA:....You don't have to throw away pellets, I am pretty sure you can freeze them :).

undergunfire wrote:
momto1 wrote:
Almost $6 for Oxbow or Sweet Meadows? That is a good deal, either way!

ETA:....You don't have to throw away pellets, I am pretty sure you can freeze them :).

Oops I feed the purina advanced nutrition:blushan:. I have tried to freeze and my crew (chinchillas and the rabbit) don't seem to like them when I take them out of the freezer. Usually I will try and donate to the shelter but they hardly use them. I get the 50 lb bags for like $15 of the purina advanced nutrition. When I had 8 chinchillas it didn't sit around long, I donated 10 lbs right off the bat though. Now the shelter really doesn't accept the rabbit food donations from us.

I think we are going to try the sweet meadow when the purina starts running low. they have the bunny basic with the bags of hay and pellets for $20. We'll see how Lester likes that.

I got my fresh bags. The bunnies were very relieved to have received FRESH, NON-DUSTY Oxbow...yay! Morgan did "dinner dance" like crazy when he heard the fresh bags being piled into the closet.

Now waiting to hear from Paco at West Coast Pet Supply about a call tag, so they can take this crappy 50lbs bag away.

I can't believe the quality difference. It is like they fill 5lbs & 10lbs bags first that are for sale in vet offices and pet stores (because they can over charge)...then leave the stale old "crap" behind for people with multiple bunnies who want to save money on buying in bulk.

I totally think I am giving Sweet Meadows a try next time!

Latest posts

Back