Fruit and Veg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
I am still getting used to looking after rabbitsmyself 100%, my last rabbits were primarily under the care of my motherbecause I was 8 and even then I think it was just guesswork about howoften to feed stuff.

One thing im still a bit unsure of is how much green food they can have and how often, and which are the ones to really limit.

My rabbits at the moment get about a small carrot and a half a weekeach and they like some broccoli and carrot tops if I can find them inthe shops. The sometimes get apple, usually about 2 apples sliced up ina bowl, and I tried them with orange before but they dont really likeit as much as others. I have a lot of herbs in the garden and they liketo eat sprigs ofrosemary and parsley and horseradishoccasionally too.

Their main diet is unlimitedhay and acereal bowlsizedof suparabbit excel pellets every 2 nights. They are theonly pellets sold here, otherwise its that unhealthy seedy mix. Arethey getting enough/too much of them?

So how much veg can they handle a week and is it a case of 1 differentsort of green every day or just a couple of pieces a week and vary theitem?

Also can they eat pomegranate?? I just ordered some in for my Africanmouse and discovered what I ordered was the minimum, a box of 12! Hecan't go through all of that before they go off so was just wonderingif rabbits like them! :shock:

Thanks :) No sign of diarrhoea or constipation yet so I must be doingsomething right but I want to make sure their vitamin/mineral intake isbalanced as well

:)Hi, Echo, welcome. I have only 1lop, and she's 5. She's primarily an outdoor bunny, but thisis what I do. She gets a handful of pellets in the am, and ifher bowl is empty, another handful in the pm. As an asidefrom this blandness, I give her a good amount of grass am and pm; 1/2carrot in am; broccoli end/leaves am and pm; a bit of parsley, celeryand leaves (she loves the leaves!), a nibble of banana/apple core/pearcore etc. divided up between am and pm. Surprisingly, shereally doesn't have a huge appetite now, nor does she drink too muchnow. But it seems like grass is really her #1 now.I don't want to stuff her, and if it's too much, she'll either leave itthere, or eat later. I'm not sure about thepommogranates..personally, I'd eat them myself (my fave!).

I give my bunnies afresh fruit ORvegetable once every other day. Too much of a good thingisn't good. ;)

I don't give fruit very often, just as anoccasional treat. My rabbits get veggies twice a day,probably about a cup and half per bun per day. Themajority of the veggies are leafy greens like parsley, leaf lettuce,endive, carrot tops, or kale. I use this site as a guideline,although I tweak if for my rabbits' individual needs:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

Thanks a lot. I bought a new parsely plant todaywhile I was out to plant and let grow, and got 2 little salad mixes ofcarrots/baby corn/and leafy greens for the rabbits.

I am wondering though.. each time im in a vegetable section I look for romaine lettuce but can only see iceberg and other types.

Does romaine go by any other name? Or am I just unlucky and not anywhere near where it's sold?

I'v tried banana but they prefer dried banana chips to the fresh stuff.

I'll leave the pomegranate, I can't find anywhere saying it is ok sobetter be safe than sorry. Might try it with some of my other exotics..or my dad :?

Latest posts

Back