Frost (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipcha

Reaction score
Frost was a very special rabbit, my very first and the one that taught me just what fantastic and intelligent animals rabbits really are. I contribute everything I do with rabbits now to this amazing little bun.

Unfortuanatly, being our first, Frost is the one that had all the newbie mistakes, I will be the first to admit that. We had no idea what we were getting into. I was a lot younger then and know a lot more now.

Frost was a Christmas present, I had been wanting a rabbit for months and had been trying to learn all I could about them. My Mom had rabbits as a kid, but as I'm sure everyone is aware, rabbit care has come a long way since then.

We met with a breeder in a mall parking lot that had a litter of 8 week old Holland Lops, and I immediately knew the little black and white ball of fur would be coming home with us. She had personality, beautiful markings and was just the most adorable little rabbit I had ever seen. We soon named her Frost due to the white markings that bled into the black, it looked like something frosting over.

We started her off in a pet store starter cage, poor pellets, shavings and all. It wasn't until we had had her for around a year that I finally ran across the House Rabbit Society page. I don't know how iteludedme for so long, I must have been looking in all the wrong places because a lot of the information I had found about rabbits was definitely incorrect.

We started improving Frosts environment little by little. We got her a litter box, something that she used flawlessly, the awesome little girl that she was, improved on the veggies she was getting fed and we got her a bigger space, something that was better for all of us. Frost had been quite cage aggressive and would often lunge and nip at anyone invading her space. She definitely improved with that as time passed.

We got Willow and started getting into the rabbit agility, and Frost would have NONE of it! She was miserable on the course and despised anything that could be considered work. She was a little Princess, it was completely below her, and she let us know it.

We never pushed the agility thing, and she was perfectly happy being an amazing little spoiled pet bunny for a number of years.

When she reached 5 1/2 years old, though, Frost suddenly stopped eating one night. We had had guinea pigs before and were aware that they needed to keep eating, so we syringe fed her and tried to keep her going through the night, no vet clinic that we knew of at the time able to take her. It seemed like in a matter of hours, Frost started convulsing and having seizures before, finally, she was gone.

It was an absoloutly devastating blow, we couldn't believe how fast it all happened. Hardly any time at all and she was gone. I just wish I had been a member of the forum when it all happened, I would have been able to get better advice on how to handle it beyond just syringing her Critical Care.

Frost was a very loved rabbit and she taught us a lot, I just wish we had the knowledge then that we do now, because I know we would have responded faster and I wonder if it would have saved her life. She would be coming up on 9 years old now, and it makes me so sad to think of how things may have been if only we had known.

frost2.jpg

frost1.jpg

frost4.jpg

frost3.jpg

frost5.jpg

frost6.jpg

frost10.jpg

frost8.jpg

frost9.jpg

frost7.jpg

frost12.jpg

frost11.jpg