Frontline = very bad idea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday morning the vet called and told me that Tazzy started seizing again right when she turned the lights on in the morning. I have heard that bright or flashing lights can cause seizures. She put him back on the Valium drip and fed him.

She called me again at around 5:00 and told me that as far as she knows there have been no more seizures and he took his feeding well. And said he was very active. They still have him on the Valium.

I am supposed to be taking him home today (Monday). I Have completely drained my bank account so I can no longer afford to keep him there. I have been wanting him to come home ever since his first night there. But now I want him to stay at the vet until I know he is going to be okay. I am so afraid. I love my bunny so much. If I had a million dollars I would spend it all getting him better.

I will keep you up to date on how he is doing. Thanks for caring

if you're struggling to cover the vet bills, maybe you could set something up with paypal and post it here - I'm sure a few of us would be willing to kick in a little something to help a bunny in need :)

If your vet doesn't feel comfortable sending him home, ask if they offer care credit which is an interest-free payment plan.

Care credit has a 6 month to a 12 month interest free payment plan, after that there is interest incurred.

I am sorry that your bunny is going through seizures. I am glad that Tazzy is on medication for them. He may have to be on medication all his life to control the seizures.

I had a bunny that had seizure like activity, didn't know what was wrong with him. So I know how you are feeling and yes it is scary seeing a bunny go through a seizure. I thought that Sweetie went through one back in April, took her in, but she is fine and didn't have another episode. Keep your bunny eating and drinking that will help with the seizures. Try to restrict how fast he plays, this will be hard but you might be able to do it.

I wish that I could help you with your bunny, but I am unable to at the moment. But I can give you information.

Tazzy bunny died over night last night. I am going to bury him tomorrow morning. The vet is going to do some tests today to try and find out exactly what in the frontline killed him. I thank you all for your support. Tazzy will be missed by so many people that have grown to love him as much as me in the short time we were together. My cat misses him too. Today is a very sad day.
Thank you all again.

I am so very sorry for your loss - sad, and unnecessary. Agreed, we should be lobbying for clear labelling of Frontline packages.

You may wish to make a Rainbow Bridge memorial thread to remember your little one...

Again, my condolences :purplepansy:

Oh my goodness, I am so terribly sorry you lost Tazzy. Hugs of comfort to you :rainbow:

I am about to go to the vet to pick up Tazzy and bring him to where I will bury him.

My vet told me that he could find no information on what in frontline causes seizures and death in rabbits. He even called the makers of frontline and they never did any research on it. They just know it kills them.

I am going to find out what it will take to do this research and maybe start a fund raiser to get it done. This research needs to be done because my case will not be the last. It WILL kill more bunnies! Maybe sometime soon there could be a way to prevent death if I can get this done. At the very least I want to push for a warning on the front of the box. I pray that my case will be the last.

I love Tazzy bunny with all my heart. It breaks my heart when my cat Spazy meows at his cage. I have video of the two of them playing together and lots of pictures. I will never forget our time together.

I haven't been on here since Tazzy's passing. I felt very ashamed and very guilty about how he died. I felt that I should have done more research before i put the frontline on him. I have learned a very hard lesson. I will always talk to my vet and read the materials that come with any medication from now on. Tazzy is laid to rest in a beautiful spot overlooking a lake. I visit with him often.
I have 2 new bunnies now. There is Larry (lop) and Sienna (lion head). They love each other so much. They are always together. Both are very healthy bunnnzzz.. Sienna is a rescue bunny. She was found outside and she had an eye infection. The people I got her from told me she was very social and would let you put bows in her hair n stuff, but I think they said that just to find her a new home. I love her very much, and she is a very sweet bunny. She is just very afraid of people. Usually the only time I can pet her is when she is next to Larry. I think he makes her feel safe. Since I got Sienna her eye has cleared up a lot mostly due to Larry. He keeps her eye clean. They take great care of each other. Larry is a very social bunny. He loves to be pet and he loves to snuggle. He loves to play with my cat Spazy. They play very well together. Larry likes to play sometimes when Spazy isn't in the mood to play and Larry ends up getting bopped in the head. Spazy is a very gentle cat. The claws never come out. He loves the bunnies. On rare occasion they even sleep together. Anyway Ill post some pics. They are so cute.

Just read through your thread. I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with Tazzy, I understand the feeling of guilt, but you know that you loved him very much and that's what matters, that you were trying to look out for him.

Your new buns Larry and Sienna sound like they make a very good pair, and you have a very tolerant cat :)

I just read through your thread and I am VERY sorry for your bun-bun. :( I'm glad that you posted this up, however, so others don't make this mistake!! I'm glad you have two new buns! Do you have pics?

I am about to go to the vet to pick up Tazzy and bring him to where I will bury him.

My vet told me that he could find no information on what in frontline causes seizures and death in rabbits. He even called the makers of frontline and they never did any research on it. They just know it kills them.

I am going to find out what it will take to do this research and maybe start a fund raiser to get it done. This research needs to be done because my case will not be the last. It WILL kill more bunnies! Maybe sometime soon there could be a way to prevent death if I can get this done. At the very least I want to push for a warning on the front of the box. I pray that my case will be the last.

I love Tazzy bunny with all my heart. It breaks my heart when my cat Spazy meows at his cage. I have video of the two of them playing together and lots of pictures. I will never forget our time together.
--many here too-have been grief stricken,-and perhaps this is how we get our sense of solace,-by answering posts..-my most sincere condolences..--sincerely james waller--:pink iris:

I read through your thread here and I wish to say how sorry I am about Tazzys passing. When my dog has fleas usually everything in the house will have them too, so I did some research on what I could use on rabbits and it said the only one that has been approved is Advantage II by Bayer, which is what I always use on my dog and my cat (who has passed away since then) so everyone remember that! And they said that an unexperienced vet might give you frontline or another brand but don't always believe him because they have serious side effects! I think Revolution is new so I don't know about that but Advantage works.

Most drugs are not approved for use in rabbits, even ones that are commonly used. Most have been tested on rabbits as part of the drug development procedure, but it takes different studies for a drug to be "approved for use in rabbits", and the market isn't as large as the dog or cat market, so many companies don't bother doing all of those specific studies. Advantage and Revolution are safe for use in rabbits.

Latest posts

Back