frogs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasspack

Reaction score
Hello,

I have read that many of you have frogs as pets. I have always wanted one and would like to know if anyone could recommend a good beginner frog?

Thanks
Off to do research:)

Alice

We've had some different types of frogs. Local tree frogs were the most hardy and easy keepers.

The best beginner frog is definitely the African Dwarf Frog. They only need 2 gallons per frog, as they average 1 1/2 in. They are fully aquatic, and make great additions to any tropical community fishtanks. They need a heater, and a very small filter is good. I recommend keeping alone or with carefully chosen fish, or they may become lunch! In an ADF tank, the best substrate is fine sand or bare-bottom, so food doesn't fall through. Provide plenty of hiding places as they are shy and timid frogs and have bad eyesight. Pre-made fish hiding places are good. Their favorite spot to hang out in are actually terra cotta pots, that are purchasable at Home Depot. The main reason I like these guys is that their feeding does not consist of live insects. The main thing in their diet is actually frozen bloodworms and/or frozen brineshrimp. It may sound grotesque, but you buy them in little ice tray type things at the pet store. All you do is plop a cube in every four or five days, and you're set! No thawing needed. You can supplement with live guppy fry as well. For tankmates, I highly recommend purchasing more than one, as they are community frogs. They make a humming sound, kind of like a soft vibrating phone. They are very active and fun to watch. Good tankmates include: snails, otocinclus cats, cories, guppies, neon tetras, white clouds, platies, endler's, and female bettas. Any other fish should be avoided unless researched. If well taken care of, your froggie friends will live 7-15 years! Mine are 4 and 5, so they have a long life ahead of them. I have owned many species and have owned over 15. If you want a less "fishlike" frog, I can do a care sheet on Firebellied Toads. Just a note: frogs cannot be handled, nor will they recognize or bond with you. Many secrete toxins that are dangerous or fatal to humans and other animals. So that's about it for this post, my hand is tired ;)

If you just want a list, I recommend:
ADFs
Firebellied Toads
White's Tree Frogs
Ornate Horned Frogs(Pacman Frogs)
Bumblebee Walking Toads
Pyxie Frogs(African Bullfrogs)
Green Tree Frogs
OHFs and Pyxies get LARGE, I'm talking 8+ inches average, and are lazy. They actually require the same tank size as the rest lol. Whites are the only ones that can tolerate minimal handling.

Thanks Kat....The African Dwarf is what we have been researching the most. I think they would be cool to have in a tank and watch.

I know you have written a lot already but I have a couple of questions:)

1)Where do I buy these little frogs? Are there breeders out there? If I have to get them from a pet store, will they be healthy?

2)Salmonella? Is there a chance that my 11 year old could get it from them? I know with reptiles there is always the chance but since we won't be handling them, is the chance minimal? Is she on chemotherapy and has a weakened immune system, but really wants a frog:(

3)How much on average do these little guys go for?

Thanks again
I really appreciate your help.

Alice

1) With frogs, there aren't breeders. There are hobbyists that breed, though. It's confusing. I actually recommend buying off ebay or browsing websites, as there are plenty of responsible people that have healthy dwarfs for sale. It's an extra $10 (total) for shipping, but I think it's worth it becaus you can get blondes that aren't $20 and you never get just-morphed, emaciated frogs. And contrary to belief, overnight shipping is not at all stressful on these guys. Local fish stores and local pet stores often have healthy frogs for sale. I'd steer clear of Petco or Petsmart, but if the area is clean, the frogs are being housed properly with appropriate fish (this shows that they are knowledgeable) and all look perky and healthy, go for it! Many places get stock from good suppliers, or hatch them themselves.

2) I know there is always a risk, but I've never seen it happen with these guys. Just make sure to wash your hands after cleaning the tank or feeding.

3) From a reputable source, normals usually go for around $3-$5, and blondes go for around $5-$8.

Have fun! I actually would offer to sell you a couple free of shipping, but unfortunately I won't have any till spring. Good luck!

I had African Dwarfs too :) They're pretty cute.

Just be sure you're getting African Dwarfs not African Clawed frogs (often sold as albino forgs). African Clawed frogs will get very big, so not good if you're only expecting a 2 inch long frog...

My dental-student roommate has an African Dwarf frog. She's almost never around so the other three of us (all vet students) have pretty much taken over his care. He's definitely fun to watch.

Latest posts

Back