Frightening New Aggressive Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kberto

Reaction score
Penny will turn 1 next week and she has been displaying some new, VERY AGRESSIVE behavior. She is literally attacking my legs and biting every time I let her out of her NIC cage.

I do have 4 kits in a cage in my downstairs bathroom for an overnight, and I could understand if she smelled them on me or if they were in her territory (they're not). I haven't held them at all today AND, i have changed my clothes right down to my socks twice today, and she is still being very mean. She has drawn blood on my legs and thigh and I'm feeling mad, disappointed and very sad.

The kits will leave tomorrow so perhaps she will come around. However, she did this one day last week for no apparent reason AND when I was feeding her! She is usually friendly, but reserved. Not a snuggly girl at all. Loves pets on the head and will sit next to me for a very long time, without issue. I've never experienced this and honestly I don't like it.

Could it have anything to do with her age or do you guys think it's cuz the kits are here? Or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Is she spayed?

Also, aggressive behaviour could potentially indicate some sort of pain related issue, or other health issue.

You're right though, it could be the other rabbits, especially if she is not spayed.

I would think it's the other rabbits' smell on you, especially since they're some other doe's kits. Spaying would help but keeping the smells isolated would be even better. I'll move this for you.

It seems like it shouldn't be a permanent issue since the behavior started suddenly. I agree that it could be the smell of other bunnies, or a health issue. Maybe something is hurting her when you handle her to take her out of the cage? It may be wise to have a vet check her over, and pay attention to other signs such as how well she is eating, does she look uncomfortable while sitting in her cage, etc. Otherwise, try making a high pitched cry/squeak when she is aggressive. This lets her know that it hurts you and helps her learn not to do it.

I don't think she's uncomfortable or feeling ill. She's eating drinking and pooping as usual. Her activity level is normal and she's playing with her toys. She's on a good diet and enjoys her greens every day. It's definately an attack issue, she's mad!! :) I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back