frightened bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley411

Reaction score
My best friend kataria just got this female nethie about three weeks ago andI have been keeping her at my house since. The problem is that she is so scared of people that she freezes or runs into her litterbox or igloowhenever you even so much as walk by the cage let alone open the doorto the cage. I dont know what to do,I have already tried every trickI have to gain her trust. She absolutly refuses to take treats from my hand and pretty much does not do anything at all if I am even in the room. So after all that any suggestionsand things that have worked for you would be apreciated. Thanks.

~Hayley~

How old is she?

Clover is wild and the same - but she will take treats through the cage wire from us.

Have you let her out and laid down on the floor?

Well she was 12 weeks when we got her and that was about three weeks ago so she about 15-16 weeks old. Yes I have laid on the floor with her (yesterday for three hours) but she doesnt explore or do anything just sits in the corner looking scared to death and if you try to just hold her in your lap she bites and she bites hard. I have taken her out every day since we have had her but she still is not coming out of her shell. I dont know what to do I am just so frustrated.I really dont think she was ever held before we got her it makes me so sad to see her hudledmiserably in a corner of the cage all day. :(

~Hayley~

Bo bites sometimes and it does hurt! I think some are just that way.... but I hold his head down firmly but not hurting him - and cover his eyes when he's doing that to let him know that I AM DOMINANT.....

with the little one, I think you might have to wear padding (maybe a big blanket over you?) and just work with her more and see what happens.

Could be something is wrong with her.... maybe it hurts?

I had that pop in my head as i was writing about her that maybe their was something wrong but she really does seem fine (heathy appetite,poops etc.) so its a mystery the one thing that is wierd is that when you pick her up she make this stange half grunt half sigh that I have never heard a rabbit make. She is just one strange bunny.

~Hayley~

hmm - she might hate being picked up. When Bo doesn't want to be picked up he'll do that grunty thing sometimes.

What about wrapping her in a nice warm towel or blankie (not hot, but warm) and giving her ear rubs then letting her play a while? let her have fun after the being held thing - let her eat a good treat and then maybe she'll start thinking it's a good thing.

When we train horses, that's how we do it. We start very slow - like with the clippers. We just rub their bodies with the clippers not on. Then we turn them on after a few times of that..... and rub them (without the clipper against them) with the body of the clippers while it runs..... each time we give them petting, talk to them, and sometimes they get a treat.

Then we try running the clippers on but not using them on the ears, nose, chin -

so it's just baby steps.

These suggestions are just shots in the dark...

(Ruling out anything health-related)...is her cage at floor level? Being such a tiny breed, anyone walking by would be quite the giant to her. Is it possible to elevate her cage so she is more at waist or chest level to a human, if it isn't already? (Taking into account that the method the cage is elevated doesn't cause her to feel *high* in the air.)

Another option - if possible - might be to get her a companion, if she doesn't already have one and is willing to accept another rabbit. Some bunnies do much better if they aren't single buns. And if the companion bunny is affectionate with humans, she could very well learn to follow that bunny's lead, in time. But again, introducing another rabbit will also take patience and time.

Maybe try sprinkling treats around your body when you lie on the floor. Don't try and get her to take any from your hand...don't even have your hands where she can see them. Just start her off slowly by lying flat on the floor, very still, hands tucked away, and have some favorite treats within a foot or two from your body. She should eventually become brave enough to venture over to get some. With some bunnies it can take a very long time to have them warm up to people; some always keep a sort of 'paws-length' from humans no matter what you do, but with patience, she just might surprise you. I agree, sounds like this bunny definitely needs baby steps...she most likely sees humans as predators and hasn't yet learned that you aren't going to eat her. She's also still young, so work with her daily, but be very gentle, very slow, and let her come to you on her terms, in her own time.

I agree with Bo B and Bassetluv, and just wanted to add some things:). (Tidbits I've learned over time:p.)

Here's what I think might help. Granted, this is more extreme behaviorthan new bunsnormally put out. Wonder if she has been mishandled in the recent past:ponder:. This could contribute to this very scared behavior.

I say, just give it time. Have alot of patience;). (How long will you be keeping her for? Does your friend come over to try to get used to her and her to your friend as well? This will help. I'd hate for her to get used to you and only your scent then she is sent home with your friend, which is still a whole new ballgame to the bun, and you're back at square one.)

I wouldn't try to hold her or attempt picking her up. Let her get to know she's safe. Let her get to know her new surroundings, this could take weeks to months, honestly. When she is out, let her come up to you, if she doesn't-she doesn't. You can't force it, it will just happen when she feels secure doing so. (Treats will help of course, but not straight away.)

If they never get the sense they're safe, it won't happen. She'll just keep running from you or just sitting in the litterbox hoping to be left alone. That will get you nowhere. Then it will just take longer for the bun to trust you.

Also, if you can have it to where nobody is walking directly in front of the cage to go to another room, this will help her feel more secure. Just remember...baby steps.;)

Let us know how it goes. She'll come aroundin time;). Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions hopefuly they work I will keep at it and hopefully one day she will be friendly (fingers crossed) for her sake as much as mine. Thank you all so much and I will definatly try everything that was suggested.

~Hayley~

I pick up my bunnies a lot, but only when I'm sitting or lying on the floor, and most importantly, I'll only pet them briefly,I won't hold them. Within a few seconds, if they want to leave, they can leave. And I give them atreat.

I do this to make sure they don't associate being picked up ONLY with stressful things like nail clipping and transport.

Most bunnies feel very nervous when confined, that's the last step before being eaten. You can pick them up and hold them and pet them to show them they won't be harmed, but honestly, if they hate that, they will still see that as harmful. It will be considered torture until they're put down again. They may get used to it eventually, but they'll never like it.

With mine, I'm trying to reduce stress so they may realize they do indeed like it, and it's been working.

As long as they know they can leave,they're okay with it. At first they ran far away immediately, then they onlymoved awaya few few feet... and now just afew inches.And a fewdon't leave at all, theymove closer. :)

sas :bunnydance:

You know, Clover doesn't like me to get near her but Lexi can pet her. I do the nails and grooming when she needs it. ALSO I did those things this weekend and she won't even take a treat from me at the moment LOL! She's TICKED! but she will be fine in a few days. Luckily she doesn't have to have her nails done often. None of mine do since they play on bricks part of the time.

It's taken time for Lexi to get to the point where she can pet Clover fairly easily - granted she's a wild rabbit, but has been with us since she was very young. We accept her the way she is and don't like to mess with her much because of her leg.

Tony sort of does that hiding thing or did when we first got him. He was terrified to be picked up out of his cage...... Now he leaps out the door to give Mommy kisses! :p

Back