Friendly Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b24karrot

Reaction score
Okay all I have two buns that I have had a year. 1 girl, a mini lop, and 1 boy a mini lionhead. My girl will come by once in a while to get a pet but not very often and my boy runs if you go near him.
I need help. I want my buns to be friendly and love me and pla with me and come up and give kisses, how do I do this?
Someone please help with ideas.
I have tried laying on the floor with them but they want nothing to do with me. Do I just have unfriendly buns? Am I doomed?
Advice please.

I wouldn't say you are "doomed"! But all buns are different and some are more socialble than others. It definately has to do with how they are brought up, but also their individual personalities. I had one baby here, that was born here, from a rescued mom. He was held from the time he was a little tiny baby, and snuggled, and socialized. His siblings are super friendly, playful... he attacks any person or rabbit that comes near him, and has caused me one or two serious injuries. This is rare mind you, out of all the rabbits I am guardian to, and all the buns I have fostered (a WHOLE lot) he is the only one that has been this cranky.

Can you hold them? You need them to get used to you holding them, make it a calm event, talk quietly, pet them, make them feel secure, and afterwards offer them a reward for good behavior, just like any other critter. Don't chase them or force them to come to you. You should try having them somewhere were they cannot run away from you, in a small room, or something, so they need to be near you and cannot take advantage and just take off. And the best advice I can give is TREATS work everytime. I've had buns that are 7 years old and have never been out of their cage a day in their life come to me, and they can quickly get turned around with treats. Don't just give them the treats, make them come to you to get them. Like put them in your hand, or even in your lap, or to start, just up right beside you, and quietly wait for your buns to come check out the goodies. It takes time but mostly patience, because you can feel pretty sad if they run from you or it seems like they don't want to be near you - but it's rarely because they don't like you. Don't give up - keep working at it, and give them a little nudge a long the way, like not giving them the opportunity to run off.

Thanks.
It makes me so sad.
I had my girl Downy from the time she was 3 months and I loved on her constantly and she was very loving and affectionate. then when we got her fixed they really messed her up and she nned to be force fed critical care every four hours for 10 days before she would eat on her own plus the meds. After that she hardly wants anything to do with us and it has been a year now.
Then my boy, Blake, I saved him from the humane society, he was 24 hours away from being put down. He was 3 months when we got him but I don't think he was ever held from the time he was born so he has always run from us all the time.
I want to be close to them and love them and cuddle with them and I see all these folks on here with Buns that do tricks and snuggle in bed and it makes me so sad.
I just want to be close to them I love them so much.

Aww B24karrot,I know it's hard, and it makes you feel bad. But there are ways to bring them around. But you have to keep in mind not all rabbits are super snuggly. A lot of my rabbits don't like to cuddle all the time, but even some of the crankiest have come around and will let me snuggle them sometimes :)

I'm sorry to hear Downys spay turned out that way- but she is O.K. now except for being a little shy?

Yeah she is okay I think it just really screwed up her trust for me. Before she was fixed she would jump up on me when I wan on the couch and sit on my chest and give me hours worth of bunny kisses.
I miss that so much.
Well I will try taking them in the bathroom and see if maybe I can get them to come around, I sure hope so.
I love them so darn much I jus wish they loved me too.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back