Friendliest Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Kathy and I just joined. I was hoping someone would be able to help me out as there is a lot of conflicting information on the web.

I'm looking to add a bunny to my home in about a month and although I am planning on rescuing, would still like a general idea on which breed I should be on the lookout for. I want one that is known in general to like human company and be somewhat interactive as opposed to one that would prefer to stay out of my way.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Well, lets put it this way. Many of us have the same breed of rabbit on the forum and not one of us has one that has the same personality as another. Basically the larger the rabbit, the friendlier/lazier it is but that isn't always the truth either. I have 2 medium mixed breeds and they are friendlier than can be.

Bucks tend to be friendlier but once again, that is a generalization that is not always true.

Chances are you wont find a purebred in the shelter anyways, my suggestion would be to visit with them all and see how they react. You can get a good idea of one with a loving personality in 30 minutes or so. Also, if adopting from a rescue you can often get information on personality and individual little quirks from the person fostering it.

I hope you find a nice rabbit and I can't wait to hear stories about him/her!

Hi Kathy, welcome to RO! :welcome1

It's tough to categorize that by breed because bunnies are such individuals. You really have to just meet the rabbit.

I have fourdifferent breeds. Here's a post I wrote a few days ago under 'The Dwarf Rabbit' heading:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15044&forum_id=8

Here's an older post that has a lot of opinions:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11525&forum_id=1

As another example, this board has a lot of people with Flemish Giants, and for a long time, the mantra was 'the bigger, the better,' with chat about how sweet and laid back they are, but I'm seeing just as manyposts about shy and non-interactive Flemish as not.For that matter,my two dwarfs are reallytotally different bunnies!

I have noticed a LOT of similar characteristics with my mini-rex with others on the board -- they're 'characters',often outgoing, curious, etc-- but still no guarantee they want to interact with humans.(Although mine sure does!!).

I willadd that ALL of my rabbits are rescues, and even though I asked for 'problem' rabbits to try and help out with some non-adoptables, theyhave all turned out to extremely well socialized, they'll evencome runningover to greetguests. (The cage aggressive lop really isnt' aggressive at all -- she just doesn't like 'hands', she'll still come running over. The rex nips, but he LOVES people, he just has an odd way of showing it). ;)

Only one of mine showers me withbunny kisses -- my bonded dwarf mate, Pipp -- although the mini-rex nuzzles me (and follows me around like a puppy), and the 'mutt' licks my leg and arm often enough -- but I'm sure if I was living in the same room as the others, that would change.

Is it possible to either foster at first or visit with them at the shelter?

Let us know how it goes, and that's SO great you're going to rescue a bunny!

sas :)and the gang of five :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I adopted my bun, Nibbles, from a rabbit rescue organization, and was able to talk to some of the volunteers at length about the buns' personalities (which was my main criterion for choosing a rabbit, not looks or breed). They were incredibly helpful, and I've got a great match in Nibbles.

So I would strongly encourage you to find out all you can about prospective bunnies from people who know them. Alos, a spayed/neutered animal is a great choice.

Fostering with the option to adopt would be a good way to go, too. There's tons of info. on this site, as well as at other sites, like the one owned by House Rabbit Society: http://www.rabbits.org

all the best on your search - I hope we get to see pics of your bunny!

As already stated, it really depends upon the individual. In general, bucks are more affectionate than does.

In general, the Himalayan is the most docile breed.

I've handled thousands of rabbits, and found French and Mini Lops to often be unpredictable biters. Breeds like English Spots and Tans are very personable, loyal and love attention, but are hyper, scratch and may bite. Britannia Petites and Checkered Giants are also known for biting.

I've had hundreds of Hollands over the past 16 years -- some of the bucks were very personable.

Mini Rex can be good pets, but I didn't care for their dispositions when I bred them. Dwarf Hotots are often prone to intestinal illness. Dwarfs can be hyper (our little pet Dwarf doe was very territorial and would attack when anyone would try to take her out of the cage).

I'm very glad to hear that you'll be adopting. You'll be able to spend some time with the rabbit and get a feel for its personality. Generally, mixed breeds have a longer lifespan and they can make wonderful pets.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

My mini-rex, Oswald, also shares many of the mini-rex characteristics; i.e. he hops around like a maniac all day, loves to toss his toys around my bedroom, and is very curious. (Those were characteristics I wanted in a rabbit, and I wanted to stay on the smaller side, so I decided that mini-rexes were the breed for me.) But, unlike some rexes, he does enjoy laying on my lap (he hops up of his own accord) or at my feet and having his head scratched. He also likes to lay on my back when I'm on my belly on my bed reading a book. But, it really varies rabbit by rabbit and it depends on what you're looking for.

Good Luck!
Amy and Oswald

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Chances are you wont find a purebred in the shelter anyways
Not true, at least in some areas. I was just at the local Humane Society to adopt kittens, and there were two purebred mini rexes (one is sadly being put down soon because he's 11 and nobody's interested:(), two purebred holland lops- dwarf gene and all- and a very cute lop that might have been either a small mini or a non-dwarf holland. I didn't notice any tattoos but that doesn't mean much. Only one rabbit there was actually mixed-breed.

Having said that, I vote for just meeting them and choosing them based on personality. Rabbits are all so different from each other, and adopting a rescue means you have a much better idea of their personality than if you got a young baby.

My advice would be to start visiting shelters and ask if you can handle some of the rabbits.

As mentioned before, males, in general, tend to be more affectionate. I have two male cuddle buns and two snotty females myself. :)

one more thing that i'd like to add is that it also depends on how you handle them. love and affection is mutual between a rabbit and the human who handles it.

i think that the friendliest rabbit is one that is used to human interaction and handling. My first rabbit was a himalayan and he was a sweetheart. My second rabbit was a mixed breed and he was also sweet beucase he was used to us spending time with him. My thirdrabbit was a dwarf mix who spent most of his day on my bed hopping and playing around. My newest rabbit is a purebred Standard Rex female and she was nervous at first becuase she wasnt used to being handled but she is really warming up to us all, even my toddler can pet her and feed her now.

I wouldn't competely agree on the handling part. Yes it helps a lot but my doe was very well handled as a baby and I have continued to work with her daily but she is still not human friendly. Yes it does help, I mean she doesn't scratch when I pick her up and I can put her on her back BUT she is no more friendly. My youngest buck on the other hand, who had no human contact what so ever until about 5 months of age and not a lot of work was done with him until he was a yearold. He is the absolutely friendliest rabbit you will meet and he was not handled at all as a baby.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
I wouldn't competely agree on the handling part. Yes it helps a lot but my doe was very well handled as a baby and I have continued to work with her daily but she is still not human friendly. Yes it does help, I mean she doesn't scratch when I pick her up and I can put her on her back BUT she is no more friendly. My youngest buck on the other hand, who had no human contact what so ever until about 5 months of age and not a lot of work was done with him until he was a yearold. He is the absolutely friendliest rabbit you will meet and he was not handled at all as a baby.
:yeahthat

Fey was hardly handled at all until I got her when she was a year and a half old. She was more scared of her owner than she was of complete strangers, and he mentioned that he had to "shove them aside" when he fed them. I'm guessing that it tended to be more than a shove.

Once she got used to the idea that we weren't going to hurt her, Fey turned into a love bug! She's very sweet. Her sister Sprite hates to be touched but really likes human company and jumps on top of me and licks me a lot.

It took a little work to get them socialized, but it was worth it.

Gretchen is incredibly friendly--a little love bug! I got her as a bunny, but she had no interaction with people before hand. It took her about a week to warm up.

She is amixed bun--part rex and part Dutch. I hear that mixed buns make friendly rabbits. She sure is the friendliest rabbit I've ever had and is very intelligent.

When you are visiting shelters and rescues don't neglect the New Zealand Whites. They have a harder time getting adopted much of the time since people consider them "ugly". My NZW, Ellie, is the calmest and sweetest bunny I have ever met. I am so glad I didn't pass her over because of her red eyes. Even my mother thinks she is pretty now...and she was unfortunately quite repulsed when I adopted her. Here's a couple of great articles:http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/adoption/new_zealand_white.htmlhttp://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/nz.shtml

Hi Kathy!

Here is a shelter where I live. You can go in and select which bunnies you like to see, and they will let you spend some time with them in a room. Some bunnies were really shy, and some were just at home with you letting you pick them up holding them. Others didn't care less, as they were more interested in exploring the room.

http://www.edmontonhumanesociety.com/cgi-bin/index.pl

Rainbows! :)

rubysmom wrote:
When you are visiting shelters and rescues don't neglect the New Zealand Whites. They have a harder time getting adopted much of the time since people consider them "ugly". My NZW, Ellie, is the calmest and sweetest bunny I have ever met. I am so glad I didn't pass her over because of her red eyes. Even my mother thinks she is pretty now...and she was unfortunately quite repulsed when I adopted her. Here's a couple of great articles:http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/adoption/new_zealand_white.htmlhttp://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/nz.shtml
My New Zealand Black is such a sweetie. My wife got her from the shelter.

Maybe I should look for a NZW so I can have one of each.:D

Back