freshen up house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyang

Reaction score
ok, so i just got a bunny yesterday :) and it smells. i think it's more of the urine and not the bunny. is there a way i can freshen up my place naturally? i do have parrots so i can't use anything such as sprays or perfumes. i love my new little guy, Milo, but it def smells like rabbits at my apt.

What type of litter are you using where you rabbits goes to the bathroom? I love yesterday's news. I think it absorbs really well and keeps the smell gone. As long as I clean the litter box a couple times a week.

I have tried a few air purifiers but never found that any of them made my house smell cleaner.

I think the best thing is to figure out where the odor is coming from such as urine and trying different things to find what works best for you and your buns. I tried several different types of litter before I found one that I loved and the bunny's love. I also had to figure out, if I was cleaning the litter box every 2 days, it was better for me to have a larger litter box or more then one to keep the smell down. May be give us a better idea of what you are using and how your bunny is housed and we can give you some more suggestions.

What kind of litter are you using? Wood shavings don't absorb liquid or odor very well. Try a wood pellet, recycled paper or similar type litter. They break apart when wet are are safe for rabbit. Do not get clumping cat litter as it can cause blockages if eaten and is also dusty which can lead to respiratory issues.

There are some pet cleaners that get rid of the enzymes in the urine. I am not sure if they are safe for birds, but it could be something to look into. They are more for use in fabrics like carpet, but could probably be used for the cage too.
Cleaning the cage bottom really well is a good idea. I clean using hot, soapy water and white vinegar if there are harder to clean spots.

You might need to clean his scent glands. They are on both sides of the gentiles. A Q-tip will work. They can smell really bad, so be prepared for that

I use water and vinegar and water to clean their cage and wood pellets in the litter bin. You should also look at Carefresh which is relatively cheap on Amazon.

thanks. well, i grabbed some softwood bedding at the pet store. guess i'll grab some new stuff as soon as i use up this bag. he did pee on my carpet which i cleaned w/ a vinegar/water solution. i'm gonna buy him a litter box tomorrow after work and start potty training him.

i do have an air purifier, but that's more for my lovebirds respititory system than anything.

yes he is unneutered. my sister told me the same thing too. she said it's worse than cat urine. is that true?

they make candles that are safe for birds too to help a bit with the smell.

Latest posts

Back