Fresh Nettles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Apologies if this is a duplicate post but I've ha da quick search andcan't find any info on nettles. I was just wondering whetherrabbits can eat stinging nettles?? We have a fine specimengrowing in the garden and I was wondering whether I could feed it toBenjamin. I'm worried in case it stings his mouth but I'msure I heard somewhere that nettles only sting human skin???I know rabbits can enjoy dried nettled but I have no idea how to dry itsuccessfully.

Anyone any ideas on whether it's safe?

Thanks

Rebecca

As far as I know, nettles cannot be fed fresh.

You can cut them and spread them out in the sun to dry, turning frequently.

But - why in the world would you want to mess with those nastythings???? I looked at the barbs under a microscope last year- nasty things. We have a lot around here and I always end upwalking through them or sticking my hand in them :(

Pam

I have never seen one in person, but we watcheda video on plants in AP bio this year. The guy was somewherein the UK and they were talking about plant defenses. Wewatched a wild baby bunny get stung, then watched and adult wild bunnyavoid the nettles. So, they can definately stingbuns. I wouldn't offer it.

I think that nettles cannot be fed fresh. You'llprobably have to dry it. Ive never heard of nettles before until ilooked it up. Try to dry em leave them in he sun or something.LOL thatsmy guess.

Our stick insects only eat blackberry leaves -and the best blackberry patch is smack in the middle of a huge patch ofnettles - I had to "wade" through the darn things tonight to get thestick's dinner :?

Pam

Back